Andros Townsend

ohhh_yeah

I might be being a bit harsh here but it's worrying that Charnley is so bad at negotiating. Our primary target was a bloke that was a bench warmer on a side threatened with relegation that seemingly were happy to sell as they could spend the cash, while we're heading for promotion and in a position where we're not really desperate.

Somehow we're now in a position where we've signed no one and they're trying to negotiate signing him on the last day of the window where Palace are less likely to want to sell as they'll not have time to bring someone in. So from a position of relative strength we've ended up with Palace demanding more than they paid last window for a bloke that doesn't really start for them. Chuffed this bloke still has a job for us.

Of course I could be being harsh and they really wanted to sign nobody, in which case he has done his job.

I don't believe in the sake of signing players for the sake of it, but any medium to long term injuries to folk like Shelvey, Gayle etc and we are shagged......

Who knows what's happening behind the scenes but it is a wee tiny bit alarming that we haven't really acted upon anything this window???

He did alright in the summer tbf. Clearly the rumours of Ashley interfering again were true.

True enough, as I say maybe I'm being harsh it just seems to have been a shite negotiation. Or as you imply we were never really in for him or McCarthy.

I think Rafa probably knows he has enough to go up so wont fuss too much. I just think it would have been better to prepare the squad for going up next season rather than wait until the summer, if we'd have signed Townsend and McCarthy we would have a PL CM pairing and wings. Again though Ashley is probably happy to roll the dice and save himself 6 months of wages etc.

Jan is a tough window to buy in.  Other teams can see we need cover for Shelvey so inflate prices.

Touch wood Shelvey doesnt get injured.

The thing is we can't afford to wrap him in cotton wool, he must play as much as possible for the rest of the season.

Ashley can't help himself can he? Just when he looks like he might have finally learned after appointing a good manager and letting him get on with it he reverts to type and sticks his oar in. Knacker. Benitez was saying he was optimistic of getting a deal through. Now he's going to start getting an idea of what it's like working for this douche

As much as people are angry about this, I'm more bothered about the fact that we've not managed to bring in as cover for (or an alternative to) Shelvey.

Our left wing has got us into a pretty healthy position as it is. We're far too reliant on Shelvey being available as the other options in the centre of the park are injured (Anita), laughable (Colback), or non-existent.

Townsend would have been a good signing and if the issue was £2m then that's pathetic, but I think that saga has overshadowed a perhaps even greater concern.

I am honestly a little worried. Barrow, for example, has gone to Leeds. He was obviously achievable. May not be a great player, but when you look at who's getting in our team when we're down the bare bones, he'd surely be better than the likes of El-Mhanni or Barlaser.

I feel like Palace have tried to screw us over a bit by demanding essentially more than the fee we paid in the summer. Could they not have said £2m in Jan and £11m if we go up? It worries me, though, given Keith was saying Rafa was desperate to bring him in, that we weren't able to negotiate that down.

We *should* still go up, and I'd be shocked if we didn't win tomorrow, but Reading are only 3 points behind now (yes, played two games more). A couple of injuries and I think we'd be in trouble.

Agreed, there's no reason to worry. Our squad was Championship proof at the start of the season, to the point where it arguably wasn't worth bringing people in anyway. I get that Shelvey getting injured is a massive concern, but aside from him there aren't any areas of weakness in the squad.

Palace can fuck off.

@tfweeklypod has the best insight on this so far. They spoke to Rafa in December and even then Benitez emphasised how difficult the window is, and that he'd only be buying the right players. 

Have to say, the reaction hasn't been surprising in the least. Townsend would have been a good addition, and I believe we were working to that end. However, I don't think him staying at Palace signifies a return to the bad old days, I don't think it signifies broken promises, I don't think it spells the end for Rafa or anything else.

I think it means that we tried to sign Townsend but either the deal wasn't right for us, wasn't right for Palace or wasn't right for Townsend. I think we looked at players like Barrow and McCarthy and at least one of those three things meant those transfers didn't happen.

Rafa apparently wanted to buy for the Premier League, is Mo Barrow going to be Premier League ready, can't we do better than James McCarthy in the summer?

We have Sterry and Ameobi on the bench and Colback is still getting games.

Anyone who thinks we shouldn't have signed players is fucking mental.

There's a nasty side of me that almost hopes promotion goes tits up to serve the fuckers right.

We have Sterry and Ameobi on the bench and Colback is still getting games.

Anyone who thinks we shouldn't have signed players is fucking mental.

There's a nasty side of me that almost hopes promotion goes tits up to serve the fuckers right.

Don't know how we managed to get to 58pts in 27 games, especially when we didn't even have Ameobi and Sterry.

Think you're confusing "want to" with "need to" to be honest. We remain presumptive champions, we remain odds-on to go up automatically. Would Townsend have kicked us on a gear, sure. But I don't think our promotion push is scuppered without him, and it's certainly not under threat because we didn't sign Mo fucking Barrow.