Andros Townsend

ohhh_yeah

If any player owes us absolutely nothing, it's Townsend. I can't see why he would get any hate. He signed with a get-out clause. From the outset, the intention was to help keep us up or go. What's the problem?

There are people to blame for Townsend leaving (heaps of them), but Townsend isn't one of them. Townsend was honest in his intentions all along.

All in all, I'm with Howay. He wasn't here long enough for me to be arsed that he's leaving. He's a good player, but I don't think he's spectacular in any sense. When we go back up, we could sign one of any number of players that would be just as good (or better) than him.

Nothing against him, he did well for us, but it's not like we've lost a future England great. We haven't even lost a current England regular (not that that particular designation means anything these days).

Anyway, good luck to him. He did well for us. If his teammates did the same, he'd still be here.

Absolutely agree, stunned that a few folk on here have criticised him for leaving; we would have been relegated long before we did if we didn't have him in the team.

Why would he want to stay here? He is from London and wants to play in the PL.

He is absolutely no connection with the club other than a few months of playing for us.

We should have put a buy-back in his contract if we get promoted though !

I'd seriously question the kids judgement going to play for that knacker at Palace. I'm guessing PL football AND London was too much for him and he couldn't take a year out after missing a fair bit of football the last couple of years. Still an idiot, like.

I'd seriously question the kids judgement going to play for that knacker at Palace. I'm guessing PL football AND London was too much for him and he couldn't take a year out after missing a fair bit of football the last couple of years. Still an idiot, like.

That's all it is, PL football and back to London. He'll probably outlast Pardew because I can't see another owner giving him as many chances as Ashley.

There's players who've jumped ship that deserve a lot more derision than Townsend so let him get in with his choice, still, not about to wave him off smiling though.

That's all it is, PL football and back to London. He'll probably outlast Pardew because I can't see another owner giving him as many chances as Ashley.

Definitely. Think Pardew will probably be out of the door by Christmas time, as he struggles to reverse downturns in form.

Did you see him having a pop at Shearer as well btw? Cunt of the highest order.

There's players who've jumped ship that deserve a lot more derision than Townsend so let him get in with his choice, still, not about to wave him off smiling though.

He was poor when he first signed, his lack of match fitness was very evident. For me he took too long to get going, we needed him bang in form from the get go, which is what you pay £12 million for. He played well in the last few games, not enough to stave off relegation unfortunately.

We move on.

Aye I agree with toonotl. I feel no ill will to him, he was one of the ones that really tried once he was match fit. I personally don't think the move is a good one, Pardew has a completely tragic record with players and it's especially bad with wingers.

We will be back next season, he knows it but obviously just wants to be in London. I think Ritchie will suit us better down there anyway as we will have lots of possession and the lad has a really good delivery.

I don't think there's anything wrong with harbouring a dislike for any player that jumps ship when the club you love is going through a hard time.

Granted he was our best player at the end of the season so that dislike is less than Sissoko et al, but going to Palace man? He could be forgiven for leaving us for European football but to provide ammunition for Chamakh and Whickham?

I'm not Given's biggest fan either

As far as Townsend concerned, I'm old school, real old school where deserters weren't highly thought of.

Play up, play up, and play the game.

The boy stood on the burning deck when all but he had fled.

I would have got in the boat with Bligh(NUFC), not become a mutineer with Fletcher(Pardew).

Definitely. Think Pardew will probably be out of the door by Christmas time, as he struggles to reverse downturns in form.

Did you see him having a pop at Shearer as well btw? Cunt of the highest order.

Missed this, what did he say?

I don't think there's anything wrong with harbouring a dislike for any player that jumps ship when the club you love is going through a hard time.

Granted he was our best player at the end of the season so that dislike is less than Sissoko et al, but going to Palace man? He could be forgiven for leaving us for European football but to provide ammunition for Chamakh and Whickham?

I'm not Given's biggest fan either

I agree with this. I'm not desperate to boo him or anything likt that but he's deserted a sinking ship. I'm not going to wish him the best for that even if I can understand his reasons. And I agree, Given's been forever tarnished to me for doing the same thing.

Loyalty in football is a thing of the past. Even if it was in the first place. Unless you're a supporter of that club then you have no ties with it at all. Its just another job. Townsend was in no-way responsible for our relegation and wants to play at the highest level week in week out. Its a job at the end of the day and he wants to test himself. Purely natural.

Perhaps 'loyalty' is the wrong word.

Character, merit, and moral fibre are probably more appropriate words. Someone involved in somewhat of a disaster who decides to stay rather than run away to better his own personal circumstances is my kind on man.

It will be interesting to see who actually does stay aboard to refloat the sunken ship based on their decision alone.

Loyalty in football is a thing of the past. Even if it was in the first place. Unless you're a supporter of that club then you have no ties with it at all. Its just another job. Townsend was in no-way responsible for our relegation and wants to play at the highest level week in week out. Its a job at the end of the day and he wants to test himself. Purely natural.

I agree with the sentiment about loyalty but that doesn't mean I should be happy that a player leaves after we go down or that I should wish him well.

He should've been flogged with a cat o' nine tails, keelhauled then made to walk the plank.

For ages I didn't know what that was, but when I found out :o

Christ alive that must have been fucking awful.