Yes Gemmill...

catmag

Just now, Gemmill said:

Tina Turner. Deed at 83. Ike will have been waiting for her.

Couldn’t stop a pig in a passage. RIP 

• Haha 2

Not a good week for influential bass players, Algy Ward, who was the bass player with the Saints for their second and third albums and was also in the Damned for Machine Etiquette, RIP Algy, you and Chris Bailey can show them who the real Saints are!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Already sick of hearing her fucking songs on the bastard radio.

When it comes to being grumpy, you are simply the best, better than all the rest tbh.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Haha 6

She wasn’t really my cup of tea like. Nutbush City Limits is about the only thing I like and she disassociated herself from that because it was with Ike. Which is obviously fair enough. Most of it is proper turgid 80s soul pop or cheesy power ballads. Not that either of those things can’t be good. 

• Like 1

When I think of Tina Turner the thing that comes to mind is 80's and 90's DJs, usually on Top of the Pops, inserting an almost contractual 'Still looks great.' either just before or after her singing and as a teen you'd scratch your head a bit. :lol:

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Alex said:

She wasn’t really my cup of tea like. Nutbush City Limits is about the only thing I like and she disassociated herself from that because it was with Ike. Which is obviously fair enough. Most of it is proper turgid 80s soul pop or cheesy power ballads. Not that either of those things can’t be good. 

Agreed. Wasn't a fan of the 80s stuff. Nutbush City Limits and River Deep Mountain High were good. 

Had a bit of a soft spot for 'Simply The Best' given I still associate it with pre-match warm up at SJP.

• Like 3

My favouite Tina Turner moment is the scene from the Office when Brent uses "SImply the best" as a prop. Probably amongst the most cringeworthy scenes in TV history.

I cannot imagine ever listening to her music for pleasure. Each to their own though @Gemmill. RIP Tina. 

Edited by Renton

The other day I had Radio 2 on while I was making tea. They had the bloke from Creedence on and they played his version of Status Quo's Rocking All Over The World.

As clear as you like, the thought came to me: this is Renton's favourite song of all time, and this is his favourite ever version of it.

Make of that what you will, but it's an undeniable fact.

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

When I think of Tina Turner the thing that comes to mind is 80's and 90's DJs, usually on Top of the Pops, inserting an almost contractual 'Still looks great.' either just before or after her singing and as a teen you'd scratch your head a bit. :lol:

Aye. Sort of stuff me mam and dad would’ve like at the time. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The other day I had Radio 2 on while I was making tea. They had the bloke from Creedence on and they played his version of Status Quo's Rocking All Over The World.

As clear as you like, the thought came to me: this is Renton's favourite song of all time, and this is his favourite ever version of it.

I trust that is not a dig at Creedence or Quo (original lineup) young man ??

4 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I trust that is not a dig at Creedence or Quo (original lineup) young man ??

Quo are fucking DREADFUL - all lineups. In fact the original lineup are the worst cos they're responsible for everything that followed.

Creedence have some good tunes in a cheesy southern rock kind of way.

You've never heard anything like that cover version though. BRUTAL.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Talksport's go-to interview when Tina Turner dies: Chris Eubank.

Representation is important! CT's son needs role models to show him that a chronic lisp is no barrier to being thimply the betht.

• Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

That's always my get out when I try to dodge pelters on here for listening to TalkSport or the like :lol: Be honest. You're still gutted Steve Wright isn't on in an afternoon.

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Quo are fucking DREADFUL - all lineups. In fact the original lineup are the worst cos they're responsible for everything that followed.

Creedence have some good tunes in a cheesy southern rock kind of way.

You've never heard anything like that cover version though. BRUTAL.

Unimpressively one of my drivers' father co-wrote Margareita Time

How's that for tenuous 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol:

Hey Radio 2 for a 47 year old is ICE COOL.

You'll be in your element today, wife at work, curtains closed, dancing to Tina in your under crackers with your Roomba, broom handle, and full length mirror, 🎵 I'm simply the best  🎵, with your poor pooch looking nervously at the door exit. 

Yep, ice cool. 👍

• Haha 3