Yes Gemmill...

catmag

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

100%

Personally I think we are very lucky to have all this pomp and imagery. Whether it’s the Royals, 007 or Paddington, they all create this persona of the UK that brings in the ££££’s

Really. More than the estimated £6,000,000,000 its estimated to cost (count the 0s). Be a royalist if you want, but don't tell me it's about foreign  tourism money when Brexit has helped kill that industry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Is that the cost to the economy of the bank holiday? 

No, I believe its the direct capital cost of paying for the pageantry and changing currency, stamps etc. Not sure if productivity losses are factored in, but if they are, that's still relevant. 

The financial argument for the Royal Family us pure bullshit, ethically and economically. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

100%

Personally I think we are very lucky to have all this pomp and imagery. Whether it’s the Royals, 007 or Paddington, they all create this persona of the UK that brings in the ££££’s

CT saw the Queen appear in two short films with Bond and Paddington and the lines of reality got so blurred that he now can't tell what's real and what's fiction. :lol:

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

No, I believe its the direct capital cost of paying for the pageantry and changing currency, stamps etc. Not sure if productivity losses are factored in, but if they are, that's still relevant. 

The financial argument for the Royal Family us pure bullshit, ethically and economically. 

The funeral and subsequent coronation will each cost GDP an estimated £6bn. That’s before you cost in the hit to economy from all things cancelled out of respect yesterday and today - and the hit from the funeral bank holiday 

• Like 2

It boils my piss when people talk about the royals being a net benefit because of tourism etc. as if tourists wouldn’t still visit the UK were we to abolish the monarchy. we would still have our imperial/royal history and you could turn the palaces into tourist attractions.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

CT saw the Queen appear in two short films with Bond and Paddington and the lines of reality got so blurred that he now can't tell what's real and what's fiction. :lol:

Theres not many heads of state around the world that would have the guts to jump out of a helicopter, never mind in heels.

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

Theres not many heads of state around the world that would have the guts to jump out of a helicopter, never mind in heels.

That was your takeaway from the Olympics opening ceremony. 

"What did you make of that dad?" 

*CT sat glassy eyed*

"James Bond is real. He's real. That's why this country is so great. This is gonna be the best Olympics ever. Bond will see to it."

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

That was your takeaway from the Olympics opening ceremony. 

"What did you make of that dad?" 

*CT sat glassy eyed*

"James Bond is real. He's real. That's why this country is so great. This is gonna be the best Olympics ever. Bond will see to it."

Adam Pearson

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

I agree, but the point I was attempting to make was all this pageantry keeps the cash rolling in but more importantly keeps the whole gig going, keeps it alive. We’ll never be rid of it, and most in this country will continue to bow,scrape,genuflect,boot lick and tug their forelocks and be fuckin happy doing so.   Your kids can never aspire to be head of state as in the US 👍

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 3

"History being made". I don't deny it. The problem with this country though, unlike nearly all others, is we choose to live in history,, rather than acknowledge it and letting it flow over us. Nostalgic fantasy is literally destroying this nation. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

“Football supporters can’t be trusted to show sufficient respect”… what a load of fuckin shit 

Im starting to think Liverpool fans have ruined it for everyone. 

Because there's no way those egotistical pricks could be silent for a memorial that didn't reference themselves.

• Like 3

Just reminded there by Charles that he only represents the protestant religion. Btw, who remembers when our King said this? :lol: 

Charles: "Oh god. I'll just live inside your trousers or something. It would be much easier!"

Camilla: (Laughs.) "What are you going to turn into, a pair of knickers?" (Both laugh). "Oh, you're going to come back as a pair of knickers."

Charles: "Or, God forbid, a Tampax. Just my luck!" (Laughs.)

puke GIF

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Renton said:

To my dying day, I will never understand why people are happy to subjects rather than citizens, and being reigned over like we are fucking corgis. Its so fundamentally wrong in this day and age.

Was thinking this morning what a sham our democracy is. In one week we have changed prime minister and head of state, and the people have had no say in this whatsoever. We don't even live in a nominal democracy. 

The modern day monarchy don't really reign over us though, do they? They are just there, doing charity work or whatever they do every day. They have no say in the direction of the country anymore.

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What the fuck...

Why was the world subjected to their scary ass pillow talk?

You're young. His phone was tapped by the press, was a big scandal at the time, conveniently airbrushed out of history.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

You're young. His phone was tapped by the press, was a big scandal at the time, conveniently airbrushed out of history.

Which newspaper ran that story :lol: It's Daily Mail esque and yet they would never cross the cult leaders like that. News of the world?

If it wasn't public then I'm not sure it should be a scandal really, deviant though he may be - unless the scandal was the phone tapping which absolutely should have been. Royalty or not it's incredibly low to do that to people.

5 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

The modern day monarchy don't really reign over us though, do they? They are just there, doing charity work or whatever they do every day. They have no say in the direction of the country anymore.

Constitutionally you're a subject. See, this is another thing, people argue that she is just a figure head. Fair enough. Then why the fuck are we going on like this? Did anyone act like this even when their own grandparent died. I find it bizarre. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Which newspaper ran that story :lol: It's Daily Mail esque and yet they would never cross the cult leaders like that. News of the world?

If it wasn't public then I'm not sure it should be a scandal really, deviant though he may be - unless the scandal was the phone tapping which absolutely should have been. Royalty or not it's incredibly low to do that to people.

Thr Sun I think, mayb NotW. The context here he was cheating on Di, the people's princess. They were on her side and had a hate campaign against Charles. Of course phone tapping is disgusting, and was revealed for what it was in the Millie Dowler case. The press really are scum, yet they have a huge impact on our country. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was upset when Sir Bobby died. Proper genuine bloke who touched my life despite never meeting him but I fail to see how she touched mine or the majority of the country.

The queen is just there, isnt she. Makes a speech once a year. I heard some woman on the radio yesterday (Radio 1 I think)  crying that it was like when her mother died. FFS man.

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...