Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Chelsea are going to require a special license to continue operating. :lol: 

Been granted, but they can't generate any income, no tickets can be sold outside of existing ST's in place now, no merchandise, new contracts or transfers. Wonder how telly money is affected (or not)

• Haha 2

Just now, Toonpack said:

Been granted, but they can't generate any income, no tickets can be sold outside of existing ST's in place now, no merchandise, new contracts or transfers. Wonder how telly money is affected (or not)

Pies, what about Pies!

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Renton said:

That is possibly one of the worst articles I have ever read, just about wrong on every count. Russia isn't essential to the west, whilst it is rich in energy and some minerals, these can all be sourced from elsewhere whilst we wean ourselves off Russian gas. Putin literally can't sell that gas to anyone but the EU due to geographical reasons either, similar even for oil which is exported through Holland. Russia is a small economy and before our eyes we can see they are not a super power militarily except for nuclear weapons. Putin has won? :lol: Let's revisit in 6 months.  

it's a contrary view, but it struck me because i keep reading op-eds telling us how putin has got it all wrong, the west will win etc. it's easy to get caught up in hubris, but also worth remembering that there is propaganda on both sides. and then you look at the pictures we saw after the shelling yesterday, you read that russia is about to carry out chemical weapon attacks and think, why aren't we doing anything about this? 

• Like 1

I think there's more right in that article than I want there to be. Was reading a Monbiot piece in the guardian yesterday about how Germany has a huge gas reservoir that could supply 2m homes for a year... that they've left in the management of Gazprom who have systematically drained it to less than 10% capacity. No restrictions or controls in place to prevent this, no wariness about allowing a country as volatile as Russia ownership over such a key strategic asset.

We have been caught with our pants down here, and no mistake. The laziness and incompetence of our politicians, in the west generally, is breathtaking.

That said, where I disagree with the article is more in the future - this is going to rapidly expedite the move away from Russian energy, comfortably within 10 years IMO. What does Russia do then? How is that a big part of their master plan? I feel like that part of the article is agenda pushing tbh, I don't see the lasting logic around how this benefits Russia.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's a contrary view, but it struck me because i keep reading op-eds telling us how putin has got it all wrong, the west will win etc. it's easy to get caught up in hubris, but also worth remembering that there is propaganda on both sides. and then you look at the pictures we saw after the shelling yesterday, you read that russia is about to carry out chemical weapon attacks and think, why aren't we doing anything about this? 

It's contrary for contrary's sake. And like most contrarians, the author ties herself up in knots and contradicts her own points. For instance she cites the disaster of the Iraq war as support for her thesis that Putin can win this war. It makes no sense. She didn't seem to have any particualr understanding or knowledge of the issues and facts at hand imio.

I doubt Russia will use chemical attacks. For what purpose? It'd be a clear war crime with no strategic advantage as far as I can see. Perhaps Russia would use such attacks for its own propaganda, which is why they are being called out before they do it. Chemical weapons don't really work though, there's no point in them. What they are doing though is using "dumb" rather than guided ordinance. This will be why the hospital was hit, I doubt it was specifically targeted. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Fuck off.

I’m not surprised you’re being hostile now.

He was right, and you lapped up all the cheap laughs at his expense.

Propaganda only happens in other countries though, right?

12 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

I’m not surprised you’re being hostile now.

He was right, and you lapped up all the cheap laughs at his expense.

Propaganda only happens in other countries though, right?

You must not have heard me first time. Fuck off.

• Haha 4
  • Jaysus... 1

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You must not have heard me first time. Fuck off.

Is that supposed to be intimidating or something?

Why not put me on ignore? or, if you have a disagreement, use your smarts to make a point why the video isn’t valid.