Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

This is how easy it is to get arrested in Moscow at the moment. Watch for the second woman.

I assume whatever that was has been pulled.

9 hours ago, Isegrim said:

The Russian Embassy in Switzerlland claiming that a hospital in Maiupol was occupied by radical nazis, wasn’t bombed by Russians because of a ceasefire, there were no pregnant women or babies present and reports and photos saying something else are fake news.

Fucking hell.

Just another reason to hate Trump!

It's starting to feel as though the stage is being set for this to come to an end tbh. The concession over joining NATO yesterday won't just have come out of nowhere, that will only have been offered as part of a wider negotiating strategy, and only on the basis that it moves us closer to an end to the crisis in very real terms.

I'm a bit more hopeful today than I had been.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Asprilla said:

This seems balanced enough but I don't think they're telling us anything we didn't know, which calls into question a bit their premise that discussion on these issues isn't taking place. I think we've all been very aware of the Azov regiment since this kicked off, and I'm not personally convinced that there has been any real attempt by the media to suppress discussion around that - the guardian was running articles on them in the same year they formed tbh.

I think an area that they could have addressed, was the extent to which this 'nazi' regiment was causing problems/violence to anyone. Just the fact that they exist, even if armed, doesn't make them much different to any other country. A bit, but not much. If they are running around using these weapons though, then that's a different story. As it is, every time anyone brings them up it seems a bit of an impotent remark - yeah they exist, but they don't particularly seem to have done anything for all their heavy arms.

(to your previous post, not Nazi Ukrainians)

Yeh I think so too, unfortunately it’s going to leave Russia and a lot of very innocent Russians in a situation closer to North Korea than the McDonald’s & Netflix they’ve been used to. 

Surely even Russia can see how futile this war is, unless Putin is surrounded by yes men, like Hitler was. The fear of the dictator breeds disfunction & disinformation.

Like when Stalin collapsed in a puddle of his own piss his own closest allies were to scared to help him for a couple of days.

49 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

This seems balanced enough but I don't think they're telling us anything we didn't know, which calls into question a bit their premise that discussion on these issues isn't taking place. I think we've all been very aware of the Azov regiment since this kicked off, and I'm not personally convinced that there has been any real attempt by the media to suppress discussion around that - the guardian was running articles on them in the same year they formed tbh.

I think an area that they could have addressed, was the extent to which this 'nazi' regiment was causing problems/violence to anyone. Just the fact that they exist, even if armed, doesn't make them much different to any other country. A bit, but not much. If they are running around using these weapons though, then that's a different story. As it is, every time anyone brings them up it seems a bit of an impotent remark - yeah they exist, but they don't particularly seem to have done anything for all their heavy arms.

I’m not making any particular point, I just found it interesting. The video clearly says that the vast majority of Ukrainians are much more “western” and liberal which I am obviously pleased to hear but that there is a powerful Nazi element who although small in number, do have an influence in the country.

The potential parallels between Ukraine and Syria where the situation became so complicated you could almost be backing one side in one region and the opposite side in another.

1 hour ago, Asprilla said:

I’m not making any particular point, I just found it interesting. The video clearly says that the vast majority of Ukrainians are much more “western” and liberal which I am obviously pleased to hear but that there is a powerful Nazi element who although small in number, do have an influence in the country.

The potential parallels between Ukraine and Syria where the situation became so complicated you could almost be backing one side in one region and the opposite side in another.

You could argue the far right in this country have an influence far in excess of their numbers but I find that idea more depressing than interesting.

• Like 2