Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Well that's that then - If 10,000 people have applied and 50 have made it, we cannot possibly claim that we are making good on our commitments. Our government has in fact lied to the people of Ukraine, and indeed the world, in claiming to do everything in its power to help. Boris Johnson was apparently unmoved by the tears of the Ukrainian journalist who begged him for a no fly zone to save people's lives, he did not take the spirit of his condolence and assurance that he would do everything possible forward into reality.

Imagine if it was any of us in that position ffs - you have to tell this woman that you can't help her countrymen, that they will die because action is too risky... and not only that, you then sign off on a policy that makes their attempts to be safe as difficult as possible - turning 10,000 desperate people away. I wouldn't be able to live with myself man. I wouldn't give a fuck whose decision it was by that point, I'd be right into Priti Patel's office demanding that she let people in or I'd go public about how difficult the home office was being. On the importance of moral leadership.

They just do not give a shit, seriously. And that's because, ultimately, they've been elected not to give a shit.

He can’t just say he’ll enforce a no fly zone just because there is a woman crying in front of him (however understandably).

That would just escalate everything.

I agree he shouldn’t make promises about doing everything he can if they won’t let in proper numbers though.

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

The fucking irony that right-wing supporters accuse people genuinely seeking asylum from a war-ravaged nation of having an ulterior motive is, quite frankly, predictable.

fyp

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Over 10,000 have applied to come. Just 50 visas have been granted. You don’t need to know much more than that to get an idea of how much our government actually wants to help.

I agree it’s too few.

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I'd have thought seeing as men between 18 & 60 are barred from leaving Ukraine the neo nazi threat from the mums & toddlers and pension age old codgers to the UK uis fairly slim :cuppa:

When the shit hits the fan, gender matters I guess.

Got to be said, the timing of world crises that have distracted from Johnson to his personal benefit is sickening. Partygate completely swept under the carpet, and he is still free to lie and shame our country with impunity. Absolutely sickening. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

He can’t just say he’ll enforce a no fly zone just because there is a woman crying in front of him (however understandably).

That would just escalate everything.

I agree he shouldn’t make promises about doing everything he can if they won’t let in proper numbers though.

That's not what I was getting at - I know he can't do that. I'm saying that the spirit of his condolences to her that he couldn't do that, made clear that he would do everything he could do to help.

He can take in more than 50 Ukrainian refugees. I refuse to believe the country can't handle more than 50. I didn't give him a hard time over the no fly zone because I understand it, I fundamentally do not understand this - especially given what he has said. And from what you've said, you just be just as appalled as me - 10,000 applications and 50 taken. How can we justify that?

• Like 1

Just now, Rayvin said:

That's not what I was getting at - I know he can't do that. I'm saying that the spirit of his condolences to her that he couldn't do that, made clear that he would do everything he could do to help.

He can take in more than 50 Ukrainian refugees. I refuse to believe the country can't handle more than 50. I didn't give him a hard time over the no fly zone because I understand it, I fundamentally do not understand this - especially given what he has said. And from what you've said, you just be just as appalled as me - 10,000 applications and 50 taken. How can we justify that?

100% agree.

It’s such a low number that it has to be deliberate and so I guess the question is why?

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

I can’t imagine it’s an easy form to Fill in when there’s bombs going off either

And of course your application and all documentation must be translated into English.

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

And of course your application and all documentation must be translated into English.

Perish the thought they'd attempt to complete it in any other language than the Queen's English. 

29 minutes ago, ewerk said:

And of course the thing at the forefront of your mind when you're trying to prevent the bairns from being torn to pieces by cruise missiles is lots of paperwork :cuppa:

What does this mean for Russia and its citizens in practical terms?

Putin has made a massive blunder, he's finished one way or another. Just a question of how many people he takes down with him. 

12 hours ago, Renton said:

Putin has made a massive blunder, he's finished one way or another. Just a question of how many people he takes down with him. 

I don't think he's long for this world, it's just a question of whether he gets taken out or presses the button. I think the megalomanic cunt is crazy enough to do it. 

18 minutes ago, Craig said:

I don't think he's long for this world, it's just a question of whether he gets taken out or presses the button. I think the megalomanic cunt is crazy enough to do it. 

This is why I'm personally more optimistic now. From what I've read I don't think he could bypass the checks and balances to launch a pre-emptive strike if NATO don't attack. Also, who really wants to kill their own children and country? I just can't see it but there's fuck all I can do to influence it so I'm no longer going to worry about it. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Renton said:

This is why I'm personally more optimistic now. From what I've read I don't think he could bypass the checks and balances to launch a pre-emptive strike if NATO don't attack. Also, who really wants to kill their own children and country? I just can't see it but there's fuck all I can do to influence it so I'm no longer going to worry about it. 

tenor.gif

• Like 3

I always enjoy this guys videos - it's alternative history (the channel that is, not this particular video). It's a bit bitesize but it's a decent primer on the issue of NATO versus Russia.