Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

As has been said previously in this group….the UK’s Russian government are being deliberately obstructive to Ukrainian refugees.

• Jaysus... 2

4 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I don't know if there is anyone who would be able to stop him, and lets be honest once a nuke goes off all bets are off. Either we respond in kind and it all goes off, or we don't and there's nothing to stop him

There's a whole chain of command between giving the order and the actual buttons in the silos/on the subs, any one part of it can stop him and they've all got families etc. even the Russians will have strict protocols to go through to make sure there's no mistaken launch can happen.

China, would also have something to say as well, everyone would get notice, you don't go from now to Armageddon instantly, they'll be the greater challenge as they definitely want world domination, but not domination of a pile of ashes.

At the height of the cold war a lowly Colonel stopped it.

6 hours ago, Renton said:

We'll see how sustainable this is in a "modern"* country of 180 million in 2022 I guess. I don't think it can be.

* Modern in terms of technology and integration into global networks. The truth cannot be completely masked and kids who know how to use VPNs will be wanting to know why Maccy Ds has really closed. 

an alternative take

https://jessicalexicus.medium.com/vladimir-putin-has-already-won-but-nobody-wants-to-admit-it-523a776c5388

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

That is possibly one of the worst articles I have ever read, just about wrong on every count. Russia isn't essential to the west, whilst it is rich in energy and some minerals, these can all be sourced from elsewhere whilst we wean ourselves off Russian gas. Putin literally can't sell that gas to anyone but the EU due to geographical reasons either, similar even for oil which is exported through Holland. Russia is a small economy and before our eyes we can see they are not a super power militarily except for nuclear weapons. Putin has won? :lol: Let's revisit in 6 months.  

• Like 2

A Children’s ward and a maternity wing bombed. I’m beyond sickened. I know escalation is a terrible idea but my God I want the fuckers who did that to burn. Whilst our shambles of a Government continue to embarrass us on the international stage by not even doing the bare minimum to help those suffering. I despair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

That is possibly one of the worst articles I have ever read, just about wrong on every count. Russia isn't essential to the west, whilst it is rich in energy and some minerals, these can all be sourced from elsewhere whilst we wean ourselves off Russian gas. Putin literally can't sell that gas to anyone but the EU due to geographical reasons either, similar even for oil which is exported through Holland. Russia is a small economy and before our eyes we can see they are not a super power militarily except for nuclear weapons. Putin has won? :lol: Let's revisit in 6 months.  

Not sure I would completely dismiss the article. One thing for sure is the West isn't basing it's policy on human rights, or Ukraines freedom, it's down to the same thing it always is, oil and resources

I've always though in some ways that the use of nuclear weapons, tactically at least, is just one end of the extreme in military combat, not completely different to other weapons (some of the yields of small tactical nukes are not much more than the worst conventional weapons). And then there's weapons like this. What's his game, goad NATO into conflict? It's certainly not to win hearts and minds.

3 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Not sure I would completely dismiss the article. One thing for sure is the West isn't basing it's policy on human rights, or Ukraines freedom, it's down to the same thing it always is, oil and resources

Honestly, I'm really not cynical enough to believe that. Politicians are human beings, seeing civilians indiscriminately slaughtered is horrific to all but the truly psychopathic amongst them (admittedly in the UK that has increased exponentially in recent years). 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I've always though in some ways that the use of nuclear weapons, tactically at least, is just one end of the extreme in military combat, not completely different to other weapons (some of the yields of small tactical nukes are not much more than the worst conventional weapons). And then there's weapons like this. What's his game, goad NATO into conflict? It's certainly not to win hearts and minds.

Fuck knows what the farmers are going to use them for!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Renton said:

Honestly, I'm really not cynical enough to believe that. Politicians are human beings, seeing civilians indiscriminately slaughtered is horrific to all but the truly psychopathic amongst them (admittedly in the UK that has increased exponentially in recent years). 

I wish you were right but I genuinely think you have to have some level of psycopathy to make it to the top in politics or business

Edited by spongebob toonpants
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Maybe they’re ‘just putting it out there’. I thought it was absolute shite too 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig said:

A Children’s ward and a maternity wing bombed. I’m beyond sickened. I know escalation is a terrible idea but my God I want the fuckers who did that to burn. Whilst our shambles of a Government continue to embarrass us on the international stage by not even doing the bare minimum to help those suffering. I despair.

There's going to be some horrific war imagery coming out of Ukraine for the foreseeable. Unbelievable they could do this.

Annotation 2022-03-09 201229.png

• Sad 5

6 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

488AA0F0-7E9E-443E-9D3C-EFD41F16C19D.jpeg

He must have shifted his assets and let Gov't know it was OK to sanction him now.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 1