Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

russia is run by an unstable madman who is intent on restoring his country to pre-soviet imperial greatness. he's a nutter. there is no rational thought behind it. 

i'm personally looking forward to the stop the war demo in front of the russian embassy this morning. corbyn's peace and justice movement was as of monday still calling on the us and the uk to stop warmongering. you couldn't make it up. 

The extremes on both sides of politics are Russian supporters or appeasers. Either scum by design or naïve useful idiots. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Disagree mate, Europe is basically funding Putin's expedition in Ukraine because of that pipeline. He turns off the tap he turns off the cash.

You'd imagine he'd have accounted for that and built up a mind boggling amount of military hardware.  Hes been planning this. He knows Russia will very soon be financially cut off from the rest of the western world. He'll use China to raise funds iyam.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

russia is run by an unstable madman who is intent on restoring his country to pre-soviet imperial greatness. he's a nutter. there is no rational thought behind it. 

i'm personally looking forward to the stop the war demo in front of the russian embassy this morning. corbyn's peace and justice movement was as of monday still calling on the us and the uk to stop warmongering. you couldn't make it up. 

Putin is not unstable. He knows exactly what he is doing and when to do it. Sociopath and psychopath perhaps but he is a master of chess games in a geopolitical world.

17 minutes ago, Ken said:

New pipelines take time. They also take a lot of investment. By putting the screws on now would hurt their ability to make that investment. It also isn't going to completely make up for their EU revenues.

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

The extremes on both sides of politics are Russian supporters or appeasers. Either scum by design or naïve useful idiots. 

This is absolutely true, and I say this even while some of my close friends fall into this bracket. Blinded by their hatred of US politics, they can't see what they're supporting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

The similarities are remarkable. Not just Johnson either, Trump, Orban, Erdogan, Bolsonaro, Jinping. Pathetic popularist shit bags ruining the World. It's time for a matriarchy to sort this mess out. 

I bet that right now Germany are wishing their former matriarch hadn't decided to switch off their nuclear plants.

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I bet that right now Germany are wishing their former matriarch hadn't decided to switch off their nuclear plants.

I always want to think of the Germans as rational, scientific people, as witnessed by their car industry. But it's not true. To close down nuclear power after Fukishima and make themselves dependent on Russia was frankly insane. Their anti-GM food agenda also is nonsensical, and was one of the things I really didn't agree with the EU on. Also Germans are prone to believing in all sorts of woo, homeopathy, anti-vax, the occult, you name it. And they have a worse cuisine than us. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Corbyn. This morning. Is there a chance that he's not that relevant in the big scheme of things today?...

Scary times, we have had the worst leaders during the worst time.  We needed an entirely different response to the annex of the Crimea.

Putin openly demanding that NATO stops expanding due to his strongly held belief that the "promise" was made on formation to not expand as far as it has already.

Never seriously addressed any of this demands , so now we get the same, but with bloodshed and potentially Russian troops right up to the NATO border, which I hope I'm wrong with.

Sanctions will do nothing, it'll be planned in and we all know that they have the capability to completely disable the IT systems we rely on for finance.

I read somewhere that Russia is self sufficient for its needs , about 5 years ago.

Positive hope (if there is one) is that he will take his troops up to the NATO border and stop there.

I believe that all this "Boris and Biden warned" is complete and utter horseshit - we knew back in November what was happening , it was a show of strength from Putin to say "listen to me, I will take by force if needed".

Sanctions were needed a long time ago - and as much as they've proven their intent and twisted world view - you can't have diplomacy if you don't listen, no matter how much you disagree. 

I never thought he'd actually attack all the way to Ukraine , and Russia are entirely responsible for it - but did the name calling really help, that's been happening over the past 2 weeks - some of us have definitely helped escalate this.

Gutted 😕

Edited by scoobos

The Russians have cut the country in half, from the north and the south and have prevented the baulk of the Ukranian army who are in the east from going anywhere. Doesn't look good and we will probably see  huge casualties in the coming days

• Sad 1

I think they'll surrender pretty quickly - I hope so, as resistance truly is futile at this point.

I feel sick, if only cos I watch too much news and have felt since November last year that I'm in that BBC TV programme - Threads , with the build up on the internet, but nothing on our news. Then listening to Biden sabre rattle when Putin's showed his hand.

2 months ago, I remember reading that the only reason the invasion hasn't started is because the tanks need colder weather and cannot cross the mud.

Scares me that we think we can do anything when we've got 60,000 troops total and decided that Tanks are not part of "modern warfare" . 

If we start seeing DDOS attacks against our financial systems, then we better keep our fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

You'd imagine he'd have accounted for that and built up a mind boggling amount of military hardware.  Hes been planning this. He knows Russia will very soon be financially cut off from the rest of the western world. He'll use China to raise funds iyam.

And India 

44 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Scary times, we have had the worst leaders during the worst time.  We needed an entirely different response to the annex of the Crimea.

Putin openly demanding that NATO stops expanding due to his strongly held belief that the "promise" was made on formation to not expand as far as it has already.

Never seriously addressed any of this demands , so now we get the same, but with bloodshed and potentially Russian troops right up to the NATO border, which I hope I'm wrong with.

Sanctions will do nothing, it'll be planned in and we all know that they have the capability to completely disable the IT systems we rely on for finance.

I read somewhere that Russia is self sufficient for its needs , about 5 years ago.

Positive hope (if there is one) is that he will take his troops up to the NATO border and stop there.

I believe that all this "Boris and Biden warned" is complete and utter horseshit - we knew back in November what was happening , it was a show of strength from Putin to say "listen to me, I will take by force if needed".

Sanctions were needed a long time ago - and as much as they've proven their intent and twisted world view - you can't have diplomacy if you don't listen, no matter how much you disagree. 

I never thought he'd actually attack all the way to Ukraine , and Russia are entirely responsible for it - but did the name calling really help, that's been happening over the past 2 weeks - some of us have definitely helped escalate this.

Gutted 😕

So we've to be happy if he stops at the border of the Baltic states, Poland & Romania?  That's just more of the same tbh.  Sorry but he needs to be physically stopped.  NATO need to mobilise. UK service men and women will die. Hes got to be stopped. We also need to make plans to assassinate him.  We have to provoke/manipulate someone in his inner circle to do it. 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 2