Rafa will he stay ? or will he go ?

trooper

Can someone set up a poll for this please. Providing we finish 1st or 2nd we have 8 games left with Rafa in charge (yes I know he's supposed to be on a 3 year contract) but we know football contracts mean bugger all these days. Also we have suspicions that Rafa's contract may well have been fractured given Ashley's interference in January. I can hear people now, saying "hang on Trooper" & all that but it really is "the elephant in the room" we know that Rafa gave Charnley a list of players in October for the January window . As the month wore on it was becoming obvious that we weren't signing anyone. Then just as the window was closing it looked like Rafa seemed confident about "signing one" (Townsend) After the 3-0 thrashing by Oxford in the league cup & the presser before the QPR match Rafa was asked "why there were know signings" he was made to look like a guy who wasn't in the loop & I felt embarrassed for him when he said "he didn't know" the QPR match finished 2-2 & I remember Rafa looking furious on the touchline during the match he kept saying things to his coaches I imagined it being "if only we'd signed Townsend" I can't help think that the water between Ashley/ Charnley & Rafa has been sullied I can't help think Rafa has decided to see this season out hopefully get promotion then call it a draw knowing Keegan was right when he said " You can't work with these people they know nothing about football" I suppose we'll know in a few weeks but if Rafa does decide to leave, the blame should land on Ashley's shoulders & every single Newcastle United supporter no matter were they are should make it known how you feel. I'm ready for the bed wetter backlash but I feel it's a fair question to be asked & it requires an answer sooner rather than later. Now over to you lot what do you think ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll probably do enough to keep him happy in the summer.  But with Ashley and Charnley, like a pair of walking penises in suicide vests, it's only a matter of time.

I give it a year.

I think if we go up, he will get money to spend. They just took a massive and unnecessary gamble by not signing anyone in January.

EDIT: As soon as the final whistle goes in the Barnsley match on the 7th May, this is all what is going to be talked about both amongst the fanbase and the press. I'm going to be a wreck. :lol:

Edited by Haydnator

As Haydnator says I think the minute we've locked up an automatic spot the press are going to go mental with rumours that he's away. 

The issue of him staying or not imo is down to if he feels he is backed and has the control he wants, I'm not worried about another club nicking him away as I think he genuinely wants to be near his family and is happy enough to stay at NUFC as it allows him to do that. I reckon he'll get the backing, I have nothing but disdain for Mike Ashley but I can't see him putting Premier League status in jeopardy by not allowing the club to spend much AND have the manager that got them up walk out, that would be fucking chaos and have us among the favorites to go down before a ball was kicked.

Last time we were promoted he released a "no significant outlay" statement and arranged sacking the manager about a month into the season when he was doing fine mind ;)

I guess but we still got Ben Arfa, Tiote, Perch, Campbell, and Gosling in. Hughton wasn't sacked until December iirc when we were doing well and in a fairly strong position (Stupid aye but I just mean we were at least comfortable rather than allowing Rafa to walk at the start of the season). I get your point though but I think he's been stung by being a tight cunt in the PL during the recent hike in money enjoyed in the league, I think it's more likely to become an issue in January if we're in a strong position and Rafa wants to spend to kick on.

Edited by Howay

I think that 'IF' we get promoted there is a good possibility he will stay.

However, obviously we can't enter the Premier League campaign with the squad we have at the moment, so his staying will probably hinge on money made available to strengthen the squad in the summer break,  the players he wants brought in, and he maintains full authority.

If this doesn't happen I imagine he will leave despite gaining promotion.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ashley reverts to type. Fully expect Rafa to walk as soon as that happens. He might forgive him one window of zero investment but if he isn't backed in the summer, he'll join a queue any of a large group of suitors who would back him.

If Ashley does see sense, and supports his manager as he ought to, I expect Rafa to guide us to a top half finish next season. It won't always be pretty though and we will no doubt to continue to read nonsense on here about people doubting him.

All depends on how much money is available as has been said. If the club is turning a profit, or Ashley can at least see how profit can be secured with modest investment, then I suspect all will be fine. Especially since we still technically have about £30m left over as 'available' to start with.

At the end of the day, you have to believe that Ashley can see how staying competitive in the PL is literally the only way to guarantee the regular income of cash. The alternative being the Sunderland model, wherein they're broke and being relegated. He can still use his 'buy young players' mantra, and still sell them on at the right moment, but he needs to keep us competitive to maximise the chances of doing this.

That said, all of this has been apparent for years, and it hasn't stopped him ceasing to make funds available. I sometimes wonder how much of that is Ashley and how much of it is Charnley being totally under qualified and far too weak.

Edited by Rayvin

They'll probably do enough to keep him happy in the summer.  But with Ashley and Charnley, like a pair of walking penises in suicide vests, it's only a matter of time.

I give it a year.

:lol: Nice image

I sometimes wonder how much of that is Ashley and how much of it is Charnley being totally under qualified and far too weak.

It's all that cunt Ashley.

Penfold is merely the hall monitor, passing on the gossip.

It's only a matter of time, isn't it?

I'd like to think that after putting in the slog of this season and (hopefully) getting us back up Benitez will be looking forward to moving onwards in the Premier League and putting a good team together. I genuinely think he likes the club and enjoys the support he gets.

However, does anyone trust that despicable, obese, slavedriving bastard of an 'owner' we are lumbered with to share that vision?

Edited by rob032

"Bite me once shame on you bite me twice shame on me" All the bother he had at Liverpool was over transfers & how much control he had over them. If he's come here & as we've been lead to believe he has complete control then to find that he hasn't, will he or does he need to go through that again. When he knows other clubs are interested in him (West Ham, Arsena,l etc) & would give him complete control & certainly in the case of Arsenal a huge transfer budget. It all depends on wether Rafa now trusts Ashley . He's not Pardew & I wouldn't expect a long drawn out fight

If we get promoted then I suspect Ashley will release the funds need to keep Rafa.   The January window showed that the NUFC-Rafa brand is a strong one which, regardless of the football played on the pitch, drives sales in the club shop and tickets at the gate.   While he isn't the sharpest tool in the football box, he's in a position of being a stupidly rich owner because he can see what makes money and what doesn't. 

Edited by MiddleAgeCool

"Bite me once shame on you bite me twice shame on me" All the bother he had at Liverpool was over transfers & how much control he had over them. If he's come here & as we've been lead to believe he has complete control then to find that he hasn't, will he or does he need to go through that again. When he knows other clubs are interested in him (West Ham, Arsena,l etc) & would give him complete control & certainly in the case of Arsenal a huge transfer budget. It all depends on wether Rafa now trusts Ashley . He's not Pardew & I wouldn't expect a long drawn out fight

I'm not at all convinced he knows that any other club interested in him would give him complete control.  It's a very rare thing these days and I don't think he would necessarily expect it at the clubs you mention (I don't think West Ham thrilled Bilic with their signings last summer).  I also don't believe for a minute that Arsenal would be in for him if Wenger goes.

As for the original question, I do think his relationship with Charnley/Ashley was harmed in January.  It seemed obvious after the QPR game that what he'd expected to happen didn't.  If it had been completely broken though, I don't think he'd have stayed.  So I do think there's a reasonable chance he will stay in the summer but there's no way anyone can be confident Ashley won't pull the rug out from under us.  To have any sort of hope of being competitive in the premier league I'd say £60m would be an absolute minimum spend we could possibly get away with (if we still have £30m from this season then we should be able to have more than double that next season if we go up) and if Rafa gets less than that he will go.

I think that 'IF' we get promoted there is a good possibility he will stay.

However, obviously we can't enter the Premier League campaign with the squad we have at the moment, so his staying will probably hinge on money made available to strengthen the squad in the summer break,  the players he wants brought in, and he maintains full authority.

If this doesn't happen I imagine he will leave despite gaining promotion.

Aye, I figure he needs 5 new players for the starting lineup, which in today's market is probably at least £60m.

The entire fan base is behind him, the support for him at the Derby game - which was immediately after the QPR game - was concerted by pretty much everyone in the ground. If he walks, a lot of us will to. The only reason me and my dad renewed this season was because of Rafa. If he goes we aren't going back until Ashley fucks off.

Not that I think he will. Because we aren't going unbeaten the fucking mong out of spite presumably didn't pay the money for Townsend or any player in January and it was for that reason only IMO. Rafa has played these games with owners before and knew exactly what to do in his post QPR interview.

Of course the deviousness of Ashley may come into play if...................

Thauvin is playing well and scoring, and has been selected for the France squad.

DeJong is playing well and scoring, played 90 minutes in his last game.

Could these two be back playing for us next season and be considered as new signings by the devious Ashley.

Thauvin is already sold iirc.

I wish we could get him back though, he barely had a chance here and Rafa would 100% get more out of him than Pardew did and he has been quality this season.

Edited by Howay

Thauvin is already sold iirc.

I wish we could get him back though, he barely had a chance here and Rafa would 100% get more out of him than Pardew did and he has been quality this season.

Pardew didn't manage Thauvin, it was SpacClaren. But I agree though, was mismanaged awfully.

Thauvin wouldn't come back anyway.  He's all but said already he never wanted to come and wasn't happy here.  If anything Ashley might try and stop him going to Marseilles to try and get more money for him elsewhere on the back of a good season.  But I think the deal is locked in.  SDJ might be another matter.  He's said a number of times that he would like to come back and give it another go.

I think Thauvin's clause was they'd buy him if he played 3 times, he's obviously played more than that so aye I think that one's done. I expect SDJ will be back mind, no doubt the physio team are excited to have their mate come back.