Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Watched Amelie for the first time in ages. A marvelous film, I love the bit where she offers change to a tramp but he replies 'No thanks, I never work on a Sunday'.

:o

111342[/snapback]

One of my favourites ever :o:o

111349[/snapback]

I absolutely love it.

This isn't helping your cause, is it? :o

111350[/snapback]

Best cover myself..

I only liked it so much because I got bored with it and shagged the back off the bird i took to see it in the packed out cinema ©Smooth Operator.

Best cover myself..

I only liked it so much because I got bored with it and shagged the back off the bird i took to see it in the packed out cinema ©Smooth Operator.

111355[/snapback]

:o That took me by surprise until I read the last bit.

My gay eyes loved it btw, best stick one of these under your avatar:

gay_flag.gif

I suppose, but people of all nations were killing and being killed.  We only saw Americans being obnoxious though.

By that logic is Roth saying all Spanish born Croats (or whatever she was) are mercenary psychopaths? :o I can think of four Americans in the film, I thought the teens were a pretty average threesome: sensible; somewhat obnoxious; and very obnoxious, not particular to the US. There was only one psychotic American in the film, compared to many European ones and at least one film director. :o

I didn't really get that from the scene where they made a racket and got stuff thrown at them.  There was a similar scene later where the young kids attacked the gangsters.  Did you feel the same about that?  I see what you're saying though and i don't think it was accidental either because it crossed my mind too.  I watched a programme on BBC4 on Sunday called Hollywood and the Holocaust where they referred to the concentration camps as an Industry of Death.  When the lad got to the warehouse that phrase kept running through my head.

My memory of that scene is of a night time cobbled street, from them days with shouts, stuff raining down and smashing glass. Really reminded me of Jewish furniture and possibly Jews being thrown out of similar windows in, I think, The Pianist. I didn't really see the little boys the same way, they were almost comic relief.

I'd never considered it was defending the majority of Americans who are not gun toting barnpots, and like the idea.  But was personally left with more of an impression it was waving a cationary finger at Americans in terms of how to respect other nations.

I'm going to have to have another watch of it, it is a couple of weeks since I watched it, I think, and my memory's already pretty hazy of it.

Watched Amelie for the first time in ages. A marvelous film, I love the bit where she offers change to a tramp but he replies 'No thanks, I never work on a Sunday'.

111342[/snapback]

One of my favourites ever :o:o

111349[/snapback]

excellent film - i even bought the french tin dvd with all the extra bits - and it doesnt even have english subs!

Ahh right.  Will get to see Hostel at some point too then.

I would have chinned that gallah on Wolf Creek like, and no mistake.  The story itself was a total fabrication loosely based as you say on the fact that people go missing in the outback wasn't it.  Its release was banned in the Northern Territories while the Falconio case was going on in case it prejudiced anyone.

110293[/snapback]

The only thing I felt let down by was when she could have finished the job, I don't care what kind of state I could be in, I would not have missed that opportunity.

110297[/snapback]

Aye I know what you mean. I would have mashed his heed in with the rifle butt. Useless lezza.

110299[/snapback]

It annoys me when they say "based on true events" then proceed to show events that no-one could possibly suggest occured. Open Water was the same. That was shit though, Wolf Creek was good despite it's flimsy claims of authenticity.

Edited by Happy Face

V for Vendetta, really enjoyable, although what the Wachowski brothers think is clever I often find cringeworthy.

I think someone in here said it was a complete rip off of 1984, I don't understand that, unless once a dystopian theme is covered it should never be looked at again, or John Hurt should never work again? :lol:

Kairo

Undeniably creepy and depressing at times this was still largely rather dull and insisted on hammering home it's rather trite message though long before the end I'd ceased looking for any meaning beyond the rather fuzzy alienated life we life in this modern world of 56k modems and shapely black stains. It seemed rather pleased with itself though, oh yes it thought itself exceedingly clever right up to the point where it took on some kind of suicide holocaust with explosions and bodies as charred cinders. It had sadly lost me a good hour before then since there appeared to be little more than the idea that we all sit in our little rooms in front of our computers, alone and disconnected. Just like ghosts. I did like the parts with the ghosts though, in the taped up rooms and that one in the arcade that twisted and turned horribly. So then some good creepy ghosts and some ploddingly rubbish morality tale about the evils of the internet (though I prefer to think of it more as a symbol of modern life). Ringu with some rubbish fluff tacked on if you will. Seemed to really drag as well, I was amazed it was less than a couple hours long. I'd have guessed at least five.

anyone think there was a comparison made to antisemitism and the treatment of the Americans?

111233[/snapback]

I thought they tried to avoid the comparison by making the leads rather stupid. The Jews were going along minding their own business when they got virtually wiped out of Europe. These Americans came to Europe looking for girls they can't get at home, causing trouble in clubs, bitching that the TV doesn't have subtitles. They're jack-asses who think the world should cater to them rather than attempting to fit in with the world.

I think Eli Roth might be making a point that Americans are pariahs outside of their own country, but was careful to show the behaviour that makes it so.

111249[/snapback]

I didn't think that the contrast was there to show that that one led to the other, I thought he was saying 'Hey, we understand that Americans can be idiots, too" and that maybe he understands where the dislike(hatred?) comes from. Do you think they behaved like that because they were young men, or because they were Americans? The American client at the end was an open admission of what's wrong with some Americans, but I thought the boys were typical of Western culture, and humanity, not the just the US.

There were too many pointers to anti-semitism for me to dismiss, maybe on their own, but not all together. The scene where they're being abused and shit thrown down on them on the Amsterdam street was hugely evocative for me, and to a lesser extent did the torture chambers remind you of anything? It's littered with other suggestions, Anne Frank Huis is a popular attraction, but seems a little out of character for their holiday.

The problem with racial hatred and xenophobia is that the accusations are often based on half truths that are quite difficult to refute. But saying that all Americans are like that, and have ultimately brought it on themselves should be no different than saying similar things about the holocaust, but it's acceptable to mock Americans now, it reminds me of Orwell's essay on the treatment of Jews in the UK after WWII, accepted.

I don't think it's an accident that it can be argued either way, or am I reading too much into it?

111258[/snapback]

Fuck me, have you and HF been reading his film book to one another? :lol:

"Coming To America"

Classic Eddie Murphy... "Fuck You, Yes Fuck You!"  :lol:  :razz:

112715[/snapback]

I don't know why, but I love this film as well.

'Ladies and Gentlemen....Sexual Chocolate.' B)

I watched Flightplan the other night, it was alright. Felt a bit like they'd had a good idea for a scenario on a plane (i.e losing your kid) but then fucked up the reason for it by making it far too obvious, like they got a bit lazy once they'd got the original idea. Like Snakes on Planes. :D

Saw "Final Destination" on DVD last night. (Yes, I'm slow like that.) Perfectly acceptable popcorn fodder, though dangerously close to being ruined (if that's not too melodramatic) by a bizarre slapstick ending - I found myself sitting through the credits not knowing whether to start giggling or pretend to be scared.

:lol:

111342[/snapback]

One of my favourites ever :D:razz:

111349[/snapback]

I absolutely love it.

This isn't helping your cause, is it? :D

111350[/snapback]

True, but afterwards I had sex with an above average woman and had a fight, so I've got nothing to hide. B)

:lol:

111342[/snapback]

One of my favourites ever :icon_lol::razz:

111349[/snapback]

I absolutely love it.

This isn't helping your cause, is it? :D

111350[/snapback]

True, but afterwards I had sex with an above average woman and had a fight, so I've got nothing to hide. :D

112745[/snapback]

Not "above average" in the J69 sense, I hope B)

Went to see Lucky Number Slevin last night.

Besides being in the smallest theatre ever (about 60 seats) I really enjoyed it.

Good pace, nice (if slightly excessive) use of flashback.

Good performance from Freeman, Kingsley, Willis and the poor mans Brad Pitt.

And Lucy Liu looked un-believable...

Went to see Lucky Number Slevin last night.

Besides being in the smallest theatre ever (about 60 seats) I really enjoyed it.

Good pace, nice (if slightly excessive) use of flashback.

Good performance from Freeman, Kingsley, Willis and the poor mans Brad Pitt.

And Lucy Liu looked un-believable...

112754[/snapback]

She's boss-eyed though - FACT!

Racist!

112774[/snapback]

She definitely is boss-eyed and if I'm going to be ultra picky, her nips are also dreadful. No racist pun intended.

112789[/snapback]

Just as well, her parents are Chinese :lol:

Racist!

112774[/snapback]

She definitely is boss-eyed and if I'm going to be ultra picky, her nips are also dreadful. No racist pun intended.

112789[/snapback]

Just as well, her parents are Chinese :lol:

112793[/snapback]

Ones Japanese the others Chinese. I've seen Kill Bill. I wouldnt mention it to her tho, very sore point!

Confusing reality and fiction.

Again.

Speaking of which, she's got nowt on Leanne Battersby in the 'one eye on Hexham, the other on Whitley Bay' stakes.