Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

The New Hunger Games film (badgered into it by Mrs P)...Absolute shiiite! In my local cinema they do decent cocktails so just got drunk.

Thank fuck, I can say I've read reviews that say it's shite now, which means I don't have to go. :good:

It's Twilight + The Running Man for 13 year old lasses. Not sure what people were expecting

Most of us are expecting just that, which is why the more evidence we can accrue pointing to it's utter shitness, the less chance we have of being forced to watch it over, let say, Gravity.

Enjoyed Saving Mr Banks. Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson were both excellent and although I didn't shed a tear I was pulling some Phil Cool faces to hold it in. The thing that stopped me from spilling over was Colin Farrell. Not just that he was awful as Travers' dad (which he was) but that the flashbacks to him kept taking you away from Thompson's excellent heart melting show and back to the alcoholic arsehole that turned her into the ice maiden she was. You couldn't feel any remorse for him, despite the early endeavours to show him being a great dad. His redemption (or not) is the crux of the story, but I think they made a mistake peppering the flashbacks right through to the end. Should have restricted them to the first hour or so as context and then stayed with Mrs T from then on to pull the heart strings and give that gut punch at the end uninterrupted.

The greatest joy to be had with it are in the original songs from Mary Poppins though. Which makes it come across slightly like Mamma Mia, or Sunshine on Leith, a film built around the music everyone loves. Bound to bring in the punters, but something of a cash cow for the rights owners of those tunes.

Emma Thompson. I'd love to even now. Superb actress. Suzi Kettles yes please.

It's Twilight + The Running Man for 13 year old lasses. Not sure what people were expecting

What's Twilighty about it? I've not seen Twilight nor read the books but isn't it about vampires who sparkle in sunlight?

The World's End - Really enjoyed it, strikes the right balance between comedy and genuine horror in the same way that Shaun of the Dead did, though on a much more ambitious scope. Pulls it off though. Pegg's outfit is hilarious, mind. It's exactly what the mid-30s kid heavily into grunge and shoegaze that gets in the pub near me wears.

I got a bit annoyed with the obvious plotholes, like;

The reason the elite left earth was because of massive overpopulation and pollution, right? Well, while that's shit of the elite, I don't think Damon's answer of curing everyone left behind of sickness is particularly well thought out. You have a planet that is massively over-populated and now pretty much immune to disease and injury? That'll sort out the over-population problem tout de suite...

For example.

Yeah I quite enjoyed it, and had the exact same thought when Damon did that. Easy for me to say when I'd be up on Elysium with the elite as a matter of course though. Surprised that a scratter like you can afford to take that view, Fish.

Yeah I quite enjoyed it, and had the exact same thought when Damon did that. Easy for me to say when I'd be up on Elysium with the elite as a matter of course though. Surprised that a scratter like you can afford to take that view, Fish.

Please, I'd be presiding over the Eloi.

Judge Dredd

Really enjoyed it, especially the slow mo bits. Great that it stayed faithful to the source material. Awesome baddie as well.

Are you on about Dredd (2012)? If, so, aye that film is really good.

Have you seen The Raid? Similar plot and released at same time. Very good watch too, but for different reasons.

Are you on about Dredd (2012)? If, so, aye that film is really good.

Have you seen The Raid? Similar plot and released at same time. Very good watch too, but for different reasons.

Aye that's the one. Haven't seen The Raid but will give it a watch.

Watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night. Gay Perry is a fantastic character. Very funny film, makes you wonder what happened to Val Kilmer.

Total Recall.

I'd avoided it till now as I thought it was a frame by frame remake but found the differences and similarities made it quite interesting - and giving KB more screen time than SS in the original was a good idea.

Not a patch on the original of course but not bad.

I got a bit annoyed with the obvious plotholes, like;

The reason the elite left earth was because of massive overpopulation and pollution, right? Well, while that's shit of the elite, I don't think Damon's answer of curing everyone left behind of sickness is particularly well thought out. You have a planet that is massively over-populated and now pretty much immune to disease and injury? That'll sort out the over-population problem tout de suite...

For example.

Did the Earths population not drop due to the wars? Either way, if no-one dies from now on then its never going to decrease quickly.