Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

This Is The End 6/10

World War Z 5/10

The first was a laugh at times but it also drew a few cringes as a lot of it is a Hollywood circlejerk. You can't really invest in the characters at all because they are all walking clichés - which is of course forgiveable in a film - but not so much when they are playing themselves.

The second seems to be a variation of the Zombie film we didn't really need & pales in comparison to 28 Days Later & The Walking Dead. In addition it didn't really know where it was going as a film. The narrative twists in different directions but never arrives at 'clever' or 'interesting'. Brad Pitt is also fairly pointless as the lead actor & the ending is simply awful.

If you've got nowt to do perhaps worth a watch - but don't go out of your way for either.

This Is The End 6/10

The first was a laugh at times but it also drew a few cringes as a lot of it is a Hollywood circlejerk. You can't really invest in the characters at all because they are all walking clichés - which is of course forgiveable in a film - but not so much when they are playing themselves.

I thought the joke was that they were all cliches?

I probably would have enjoyed it just as much if I'd switched it off after the Michael Cera scenes.

Yeah - I just couldn't get into I suppose. I couldn't tell if it was a bunch of lads having a laugh or something more esoteric.

The Michael Cera scenes were mint like. :up:

Just watched Gravity.  Thought it was excellent.  Well worth the 3d price.

Aye. Superb. Ended up costing over £40 for 2 once the snacks were bought, and seemed to fly by.

Worth every penny for the imax though.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Yeah the bits with Clooney going on about himself being handsome were a but jarring, didnt fit.

I thought the casting was spot on in the context of the overall theme. Bullock is the perfect mother in terms of looks; good looking, attractive but not too sexy. Clooney is now at the age to be seen more as a dad than a sex symbol.

The evolution theme is obvious (emerging from the water at the end was a bit crass too) as thats what 'gravity' has done, it has evolved the species physically. Without the specific gravitational force on earth, humans would not have evolved or dominated at least. That evolution has allowed us to step off the planet which may in the future be a necessity due to global warming. Bullocks dead child and the umbilical cords attaching them to safety was all very mother earth.

In short, thought there was plenty of material behind the visual roller coaster and nerve-racking action. Bullock is amazing too as you say.

The Mrs thought the tetrapod sequence was clunky too. Personally, when the camera panned up her I wanted to cheer :D

I thought the evolution theme was more pointed at female empowerment than at any environmental issues or the technical capabilities of mankind on the whole.

Men in the film are competent and confident and breeze through one catastrophe after another and they're all stupid and die. In space and water and on land Sandra struggles, is full of self doubt, works hard, learns and prevails over and over again. Alongside men she subordinated herself and apologised for her perceived mistakes, she does as she is told and hopes men can save her. With men out of the way (in death, one man is literally shown to have a hollow head) she is reborn for the first time, stronger and capable of saving herself. Later, once she's able to cast aside the emotional baggage of child loss during re-entry she is reborn the second time. Message seemed to be men have got complacent and once women get past male domination and their emotional nature :lol: they will rule the world...and other worlds too.

I think the film is more likely to be exploring global warming and the future of the species than feminism. Cuaron uses feminine infertility in Children of Men as a symbol of the future (a bleak version). In Gravity, it was (for me) clearly about earth (a mother), our ability to survive off earth (in what circumstances would that be needed?) and what would be of paramount importance in that circumstance (i.e. getting a woman back onto a habitable planet).

If the planet is becoming too hot to live on safely, then the next step in our evolution is to leave it. The men are very vain, that could just be simply pointing the finger of blame.

We're moving dangerous into post-feminism here. ;)

Men WANT to leave the planet and could care less abou it....Women are tied to it with the menstrual cycle and big boxes of chocolate.

:lol:

Those were apron strings tied to her feet as she tried to save gorgeous George ;)

Those were apron strings tied to her feet as she tried to save gorgeous George ;)

We need to keep women out of space....Men see space as another opp to build a garden shed away from their cackling and pestering.

We need to keep women out of space....Men see space as another opp to build a garden shed away from their cackling and pestering.

If your lass is ever getting on your nerves just go to space lads.

Space.