Miguel Almiron

wykikitoon

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Fish, when the Avengers are at full strength, does Captain America get to punch more aliens than Thor? If so, I think I know where your argument is based 

Nailed it

Expect some stats on xHit vs alien bad guy to population ratio coming up.

15 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Fish, when the Avengers are at full strength, does Captain America get to punch more aliens than Thor? If so, I think I know where your argument is based 

Don't you bloody start.

I genuinely cannot believe that this is even up for debate. ASM comes back, Almiron will see less of the ball. 

• Like 1

No, you are trying to use stats to backup something subjective like not taking into account form, confidence, change in tactics etc.

Stats are black and white. Football isn't.

Anyway, I will seriously be considering jamming two pencils up my nostrils if this is ever discussed again.

9 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

No, you are trying to use stats to backup something subjective like not taking into account form, confidence, change in tactics etc.

Stats are black and white. Football isn't.

Anyway, I will seriously be considering jamming two pencils up my nostrils if this is ever discussed again.

But, it's not subjective, I've shown that ASM gets more of the ball than Almiron, Almiron gets more of the ball when ASM isn't playing. So my opening question "I wonder if Almiron's form will dwindle when ASM returns" is a question based on the evidence that shows he will be less of a focal point when the Frenchman gets back into the team. 

But who passes the most to ASM and MA ? The source of the pass to either one will depend where the ball is coming from on the pitch and could also depend on who the passer is, is there a passer who has a propensity for passing to one or other and is there a further complication of who passes to the passer and how much, if the preferred passer, or the passer to the passer, is injured, does that sway the statistics. Eh ?

• Haha 1

Anyone with working eyes will know that when we're trying to hit teams on the counter the first thing our players look for is a ball to ASM. In his absence Murphy doesn't perform the same function as often and the players rightly don't have the same confidence in him doing as much with the ball as ASM.

I'm #TeamFish

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Anyone with working eyes will know that when we're trying to hit teams on the counter the first thing our players look for is a ball to ASM. In his absence Murphy doesn't perform the same function as often and the players rightly don't have the same confidence in him doing as much with the ball as ASM.

I'm #TeamFish

This is correct. Anyone that disagrees is the silliest of billys. 

• Haha 2

Thats because you are comparing Murphy to ASM.

I think we've now mastered the right hand side with Bruno/Trippier/Almiron all linking up superbly and I expect that to continue.

Anyway, proof is in the stats-pudding. So lets see what happens when he returns. Actually, scrub that. I couldn't care less. Im off to the Politics thread.

• Like 1

So long as the ball continues to end up in the opposition net, I really don't give a fuck whether it goes down the left or right channel. 

What is irrefutable is Almiron's form and in particular, his finishing has vastly improved. Whether that is because the right channel has seen more of the ball because ASM has been out injured is about as subjective an argument we can get. 

I'll say this much, the right channel has been seriously effective these last few weeks. If the return of ASM finds ourselves treated to the antics of him running in circles, taking on the same player 2-3 times, a loss of possession and him hitting the ground looking for a foul that's never coming at the detriment of the right-channel effectiveness, I shalln't be impressed.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Craig said:

So long as the ball continues to end up in the opposition net, I really don't give a fuck whether it goes down the left or right channel. 

What is irrefutable is Almiron's form and in particular, his finishing has vastly improved. Whether that is because the right channel has seen more of the ball because ASM has been out injured is about as subjective an argument we can get. 

I'll say this much, the right channel has been seriously effective these last few weeks. If the return of ASM finds ourselves treated to the antics of him running in circles, taking on the same player 2-3 times, a loss of possession and him hitting the ground looking for a foul that's never coming at the detriment of the right-channel effectiveness, I shalln't be impressed.

I thought we had a great shape with Joelinton wide left

Much as I like ASM I don't know if I would bring him straight back in.  I don't think the has the ability or temperament to operate the high intensity press that we are using so succesfully

He might be better as an impact sub after we have demoralised them

Edited by spongebob toonpants
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I thought we had a great shape with Joelinton wide left

Much as I like ASM I don't know if I would bring him straight back in.  I don't think the has the ability or temperament to operate the high intensity press that we are using so succesfully

He might be better as an impact sub after we have demoralised them

With Villa I'd expect them to come in with a bit of confidence after their game against Brentford, and they've definitely got the attacking players who could ask some questions of our defence. I'd start Joelinton to bully their midfield and introduce ASM later in the game. Partly like you say to have an impact on a demoralised Aston Villa, but partly because it's wise to slowly reintroduce players coming back from injury. 

If he comes through Villa without any complications I'd start him against Southampton and Palace though. For all his faults, he's still our biggest attacking threat and a player who can win tight games with one moment of genius.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

With Villa I'd expect them to come in with a bit of confidence after their game against Brentford, and they've definitely got the attacking players who could ask some questions of our defence. I'd start Joelinton to bully their midfield and introduce ASM later in the game. Partly like you say to have an impact on a demoralised Aston Villa, but partly because it's wise to slowly reintroduce players coming back from injury. 

If he comes through Villa without any complications I'd start him against Southampton and Palace though. For all his faults, he's still our biggest attacking threat and a player who can win tight games with one moment of genius.

What data window are you using for the stats on ASM on him being our biggest attacking threat?  I am asking because if Miggy is still on fire and people start to also trust him for our attacking outlet then that may change.  Although Miggy does sit deeper as he tracks back more than ASM.

38 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I do wonder if ASM will be as effective when we are pressing like the first half against Spurs. To me he is at his best moments are on the break, so much more suited to the second half against Spurs when we sat a bit deeper

He was definitely our best attacking threat previoulsy, as he was our only outlet. We have much more of a team ethic and structure now, I'm yet to be convinced he can be as effective

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

What data window are you using for the stats on ASM on him being our biggest attacking threat?  I am asking because if Miggy is still on fire and people start to also trust him for our attacking outlet then that may change.  Although Miggy does sit deeper as he tracks back more than ASM.

Mostly Fbref.

ASM has averaged 0.35 expected goals or assists per 90 in the 4 seasons he's been at Newcastle. Averages 0.30 goals and assists per 90 in that time.

Almiron averages 0.26 in his 5 seasons here. 0.18 goals and assists per 90. 

ASM averages 0.88 shots on target per 90. 

Almiron averages 0.55.

ASM averages 4.2 Shot Creating Actions per 90. 0.48 Goal Creating Actions per 90.

Almiron averages 2.8 SCA. 0.22 GCA per 90.

Historically, ASM has been far and away our biggest threat. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I do wonder if ASM will be as effective when we are pressing like the first half against Spurs. To me he is at his best moments are on the break, so much more suited to the second half against Spurs when we sat a bit deeper

He was definitely our best attacking threat previoulsy, as he was our only outlet. We have much more of a team ethic and structure now, I'm yet to be convinced he can be as effective

It's a shame he doesn't seem to have bought in to Howe's press demands. I know it would expend energy (as it does for all the rest of the team) but having him involved in dispossessing defenders high up the pitch and tearing away with the ball would make a massive difference. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Mostly Fbref.

ASM has averaged 0.35 expected goals or assists per 90 in the 4 seasons he's been at Newcastle. Averages 0.30 goals and assists per 90 in that time.

Almiron averages 0.26 in his 5 seasons here. 0.18 goals and assists per 90. 

ASM averages 0.88 shots on target per 90. 

Almiron averages 0.55.

ASM averages 4.2 Shot Creating Actions per 90. 0.48 Goal Creating Actions per 90.

Almiron averages 2.8 SCA. 0.22 GCA per 90.

Historically, ASM has been far and away our biggest threat. 

As a great man once said

Urgh... Jesus

Bruceball ≠ Howeball

32 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It's a shame he doesn't seem to have bought in to Howe's press demands. I know it would expend energy (as it does for all the rest of the team) but having him involved in dispossessing defenders high up the pitch and tearing away with the ball would make a massive difference. 

Given he has been out for about 6 weeks as a result of tracking back, I can't see him pressing much when he's back. 🙂 

• Haha 2