Callum Wilson

wykikitoon

• 1 month later...

I'm really enjoying seeing Wilson succeed for us and it'll be great to have watched one of our current crop of players surpass a number of players I watched over the years, feels like a healthy sign of progress.

One thought on him that interested me recently was that we signed him for £20m in 2020. Based on what he's gone on to have done since, I think we got a really good deal out of that - but if we would have known he'd end up being this prolific back then, what would a fair price have been? (I'm asking this specifically because to simply ask his present value would be affected by his age - back then he was going into his prime).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Friction burns off Mrs. Wykiki…

I think I can honestly speak for most heterosexual women (and a fair few heterosexual men) that there'd be very little friction if they got their hands on Callum Wilson. They'd be leaking like a fucked fridge.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, strawb said:

Think he might be my first player replaced this summer if I was in charge. Love him to bits but he’s 31 and can’t last a full game. 

If Isak could manage to avoid injuries at all Id argue with you there but he seems very injury prone too.

We need someone reliable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, strawb said:

Think he might be my first player replaced this summer if I was in charge. Love him to bits but he’s 31 and can’t last a full game. 

Like Shearer when his legs went, he's just not up to the task of leading the line by himself, especially against a physical defence like Dortmund's but he's a great option off the bench, so let's not replace him but move him from 1st/2nd choice striker to our 3rd choice for when we want to play two up top, have injuries or need to give the first choice a rest.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 2

He scored plenty last season. I'm still confident we'll see a return to goalscoring form for him. It worked perfect when you could rotate him with Isak but the inability to do that is starting to show.

I don't think he's finished yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sammynb said:

Like Shearer when his legs went, he's just not up to the task of leading the line by himself, especially against a physical defence like Dortmund's but he's a great option off the bench, so let's not replace him but move him from 1st/2nd choice striker to our 3rd choice for when we want to play two up top, have injuries or need to give the first choice a rest.

Bit harsh, isn't he amongst the best goals per minute in the prem this season

8 hours ago, strawb said:

Like you I love him (Albeit less than Wor Lass 🙄) but I am not sure he suits our style of play.

That sounds mad considering he's scored 7 in the Prem this season.  But he's only played 2 games of 90 minutes this season.  Is that Howe managing him so he can play more games a season?  I would say yes, but when your squad is down to the bare bones then we need someone who can play the full 90.

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Bit harsh, isn't he amongst the best goals per minute in the prem this season

That's because he's no played many minutes :lol: 

It does sound harsh because of the goals he's scored, but I agree with Sammy.  When he's had to lead the line this season, the majority he's struggled to have in impact.  Is that the way we play?  Someone like Fish will be able to tell us that.  I am not that savvy on stuff like that.  But he's scoring so like G said.  Lets not bin him off, but certainly a great option off the bench.

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

He scored plenty last season. I'm still confident we'll see a return to goalscoring form for him. It worked perfect when you could rotate him with Isak but the inability to do that is starting to show.

I don't think he's finished yet.

I don’t think he’s finished either - we defo missed his ability to hold the ball up when Gordon moved up front as anything pinged up to him came straight back while Wilson was using his strength to make it stick.

However, he has clearly lost a yard of pace in the last season or two. He used to have that explosive burst to get him in behind but he didn’t look anywhere close to getting through to our hopeful long balls into the channels yesterday. And Hummels isn’t the quickest.  

He just doesn’t get involved in the games, they seem to pass him by. Even when he is scoring he doesn’t add a lot else.

I think he probably has a knock and is playing through it so I’m probably being harsh but we need another striker in the summer