The new manager thread

Polarboy

I don't doubt that if its true Howe has agreed a deal in principle and the pif want him then will get done, there's just some big ifs there. 

Celtic fans spent five months making these same conflicted arguments. "John Kennedy is out of his fucking depth, Howe can't come in soon enough. But at the same time it makes no sense to announce him yet, might as well let Kennedy take the next game".  Week after week.

10 minutes ago, OTF said:

You have to wait to announce it until after the game as there was not enough time for the deal to be inked and him to get his team in to work with the players. They could have at least said something to Jones about it, he looks a bit of a tit and it doesn't reflect well on us that he answered honestly that nothing had been said to him about Howe, and then when questioned further specified that the owners wanted him to be part of our future regardless. That last part is particularly daft of both Jones and the club tbh.

Jones joined the club when we were in the shit. He wasn’t going to leave the south coast and up sticks to the North East knowing that the manager could be sacked in weeks and he’d be out of a job so he obviously had an agreement that he was kept on regardless of who the manager was and the new owners are keeping to that agreement.

12 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Jones joined the club when we were in the shit. He wasn’t going to leave the south coast and up sticks to the North East knowing that the manager could be sacked in weeks and he’d be out of a job so he obviously had an agreement that he was kept on regardless of who the manager was and the new owners are keeping to that agreement.

But if Howe is so particular about his backroom staff, where will Jones fit into that picture? He would almost seem a spare part. Unless Howe is not as fussy as is being made out. 

I remember Mark McGee,  Roy Aitken and John Robertson coming south and joining the club. 

End of the day,  on all counts, it made 'hee-haw' difference what they did down here to what the crack was coming from the border. 

2 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

But if Howe is so particular about his backroom staff, where will Jones fit into that picture? He would almost seem a spare part. Unless Howe is not as fussy as is being made out. 

Howe is a good coach. Keeping him on won’t be a deal breaker for any manager. They can make him as involved or not as they please.

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Howe is a good coach. Keeping him on won’t be a deal breaker for any manager. They can make him as involved or not as they please.

Assuming you meant Jones, but aye. Plus its probably sensible to have some sort of continuity between regimes.

Howe or (or anyone else for that matter) arrivingwith an entire new coaching staff would be fucking hugely disruptive mid-season. Akin to asking a fucking supply teacher stepping into school class with noone to ask "this skinhead cunt looks like a liability, is he for real with this alopecia claim?"

It's surely a formality now that Howe and his assistant have attended the match with Staveley, but I still won't be changing the thread title until it's official, official. Once bitten twice shy 😄👍 Two weeks break would normally be ideal but Dubravka, Clark, Schar, Lewis, Hendrick, Krafth, Fraser, and Almiron will all be away on international duty. Having said that Clark and Hendrick being away isn't that big a miss. You still have Lascelles, Shelvey, ASM, Wilson, Big Joseph, Ritchie, Hayden, Fernandez, Manquillo, Murphy, Darlow, Willock, Gayle, presumably Dummett won't join the Wales squad, and Longstaff nocking about the place, so he could at least try and up the fitness of the remaining players and try and instill his ethos and tactics in them. Then he only really needs to pull Fraser, Almiron, Dubs, and maybe Lewis into the fold. Clark and Hendrick, though it pains me given they're Irish, can go twiddle their thumbs somewhere. 

Are we certain Howe isn't just a Mackem who is playing the club like a cat with a ball of string, until we are so far adrift of everyone else that we are relegated? 

It seems odd that he was sitting with Staveley in the most public of fashion yet still not announced as manager. 

Edited by Chaser

Wouldn't surprise me that much if Howe manages to get a tune out of Hendrick tbh. Seems like one of those players who needs to be told exactly where to be and what to do, otherwise he's lost. Brewcie's let's playy!" instructions probably left him confused as fuck. 

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Not as long as the day Alwaleed_Saudi is about to have. 

:lol: His personal tour guide and all round insufferable prick of a bestie Wraith is there to thank them:

FWIW it’s great our sponsor, who have done the square root of fuck all for the fan base in their whole time as sponsors, decided to give not only a free ticket but a free ticket in the directors box to some random no mark who just happens to be from the country the clubs new owners are from. Probably harsh of the lads whose bus he went down on to leave without him, but think all these blokes on twitter that are crawling up the blokes arse need to give their heads a shake and realize there’s probably another side to the story (likely being this Alwaleed was too busy pissing about and freeloading all he could that he was late as fuck for the bus). 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 5

All jokes aside, the best teams outwork their opponents. We have a shite team but under Rafa you knew that they would work their bollocks off.

Watching Man U vs Man City today there were two teams of very talented players but the best team in terms of talent also worked far harder.

In the first half today the players didn’t particularly give a shit. They tried a bit more in the second half and the improvement was obvious.

We clearly need more team tactics and recruitment but most of all we need a team with character and work ethic.

I hope Eddie Howe is the man to deliver that but I’m not expectant. It’s hard to change the entire mentality of a team and for too long now we’ve had to accept the bare minimum in terms of effort. There’s no on/off switch for that and if Eddie Howe can manage it then fair play but I remain sceptical.

• Like 1

The backing off the man with the ball is awful to watch. He's a fan of high intensity and pressing which is obviously when we play our best stuff, I don't get the backing off thing. It's not like we're doing it to hold any kind of particularly effective shape. Just giving top level players the time and space to cut through us like a hot knife through butter. Then when we do make the occasional challenge our players are so sloth-like and unfit it ends up being a foul. We're fucked if we don't get them fit and fast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ewerk said:

All jokes aside, the best teams outwork their opponents. We have a shite team but under Rafa you knew that they would work their bollocks off.

Watching Man U vs Man City today there were two teams of very talented players but the best team in terms of talent also worked far harder.

In the first half today the players didn’t particularly give a shit. They tried a bit more in the second half and the improvement was obvious.

We clearly need more team tactics and recruitment but most of all we need a team with character and work ethic.

I hope Eddie Howe is the man to deliver that but I’m not expectant. It’s hard to change the entire mentality of a team and for too long now we’ve had to accept the bare minimum in terms of effort. There’s no on/off switch for that and if Eddie Howe can manage it then fair play but I remain sceptical.

Eddie Howe will definitely introduce the work factor. His Bournemouth team could never have played a pressing style so effectively for such a long time in the Premier without it. I would be more enthused if I was 100% sure he was our next manager, but until he signs the contract I am holding off. 

14 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: His personal tour guide and all round insufferable prick of a bestie Wraith is there to thank them:

FWIW it’s great our sponsor, who have done the square root of fuck all for the fan base in their whole time as sponsors, decided to give not only a free ticket but a free ticket in the directors box to some random no mark who just happens to be from the country the clubs new owners are from. Probably harsh of the lads whose bus he went down on to leave without him, but think all these blokes on twitter that are crawling up the blokes arse need to give their heads a shake and realize there’s probably another side to the story (likely being this Alwaleed was too busy pissing about and freeloading all he could that he was late as fuck for the bus). 

Apparently Staveley & her fella organised the ticket in the directors box…

9 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Maybe waiting for Monday so they can do it officially in the ground / training ground etc. 

Are they not allowed to open their own facility on Sundays?!  Allah over the place man.  

• Haha 1

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread