Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Watching them you'd think they were pretty similar, diving deeper though Pope comes out ahead on just about every statistical metric over Dubs.

What is quite surprising, given his and Burnleys reputation is that Pope outstrips Dubravka by a long way on sweeping.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Watching them you'd think they were pretty similar, diving deeper though Pope comes out ahead on just about every statistical metric over Dubs.

What is quite surprising, given his and Burnleys reputation is that Pope outstrips Dubravka by a long way on sweeping.

Watch out.  Fish will be wanting a word if you start using statistics 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

That probably says it all given how focused on analysis and statistics Howe is. If he starts with Dubravka it will be through loyalty and continuity but Pope will win out in the short to mid term and be our first choice keeper. With that in mind if Dubravka can be used as a make weight to improve our tram elsewhere then I'd not have a problem with it. For his sake I'd rather him play elsewhere than sit on the bench here.

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

What’s his xG?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

15 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

My spidey-senses tell me this one is a runner.

I've always hated him mind, going to have to do a swift 180

:lol: Could never stand the fucking cun.......great lad, salt of the earth, do owt for you.

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Time to start wielding our dirty oil money. Whip out £60mil today and have Maddison in the lineup on Saturday 

agreed. if you going to pay £50m you may as well give them what they want and increase it to £60m with add ons. I’m all for driving a hard bargain but it’s time to show the sceptics we’re not here to make up the numbers. 

11 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol: Could never stand the fucking cun.......great lad, salt of the earth, do owt for you.

Bit of a fanny rat too even as far as footballers go, by all accounts. I can see him loving the Newcastle nightlife. This team’s Gavin Harris 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

They need to stop fucking about at times tbh

This is always going to be the case when we go in for players that clubs don't want to sell unless, of course, they're desperate for cash.

give them £50m up front, plus an extra £10m in add-ons if he plays 30+ games a season and we qualify for the champions league during the duration of his contract. 

step aside dan ashworth

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, KetteringMag said:

I get what we're trying to do but if we get a week before deadline with no attacking players then the prices go up again as teams will know we'll be 

35 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

A marginally more positive take from Mark Douglas. 

Exactly. We're not going in cold, there's been some indication that he'd be interested. Furthermore Leicester and/or the player's agent wouldn't have leaked news of the bids if there was no chance of it happening - this plants thr idea in Leicester fans heads, softens the blow if he leaves and potentially nets them a little extra in the fee being offered as now if he doesn't come it reflects somewhat poorly on Newcastle.

That said I think 50m is a fair valuation from what I've seen. Perhaps a percentage of the fee when we sell could entice it to go through.

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

They need to stop fucking about at times tbh

Our valuation of him doesn't really come into the equation. This seems to be a blind spot in our recruitment strategy. Target £60mil players, offer £40mil, get rejected, rinse and repeat....

• Like 2

Tbf our successful bids for Botman and Ekitike (successful as in the club accepted it) started out with us being short of the selling club valuation. And in both instances I think the selling club ended up coming down on price. 

Can't remember if the same happened with Bruno. 

I think it's entirely possible that Leicester have made these negotiations public so it at least looks like they fought hard to keep Maddison, and were tough negotiators, but will ultimately sell us Maddison. I posted a quote from a football correspondent called Jacque Talbot, who appears to be legit, the other day saying exactly that.  

it's just a dance. this one seems to have legs. could go to the wire if we continue to try to drive a hard bargain - cue increasingly moist underwear. i'd like to see us wrap it up before the forest game, even if it means we end up paying £5-10m more than we'd like to. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's just a dance. this one seems to have legs. could go to the wire if we continue to try to drive a hard bargain - cue increasingly moist underwear. i'd like to see us wrap it up before the forest game, even if it means we end up paying £5-10m more than we'd like to. 

Animated GIF

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season