Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I'm a bit sceptical of transfer stories which have a built in get out of jail free card. If we don't get him they'll be like, well your were after him but you couldn't quite manage to persuade him or match the money on offer elsewhere. It's an easy filler article for them. 

We'd be daft to not be asking the question though. Ashworth doesn't get to read in the papers that "London is Rice's preferred destination" and just leave it at that.

I can well believe we're looking into it.

• Like 3

he'd be a dream signing, a proper statement of intent, freeing Bruno up to get forward more. we could also play the two of them in what i believe the kids like to call a "double pivot" with someone like maddison or isak in front of them as a "number 10". 

• Like 3

I suspect this sort of signing is still a few seasons away for us. he can pretty much take his pick of clubs in the PL and Europe. Bayern are rumoured to be interested. He'd have already signed for Chelsea if they weren't such a basket case club

• Like 2

We’ll have to start paying megabucks in terms of wages if we sign him. Which we’ll have to at some point anyway if we want to become an established CL team. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, no harm in picking up a cut-price Barnes or Maddison from Leicester. It won't all be bargain-hunting though - i expect we will pick up one or two from Harrods too

That's my take as well. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I suspect this sort of signing is still a few seasons away for us. he can pretty much take his pick of clubs in the PL and Europe. Bayern are rumoured to be interested. He'd have already signed for Chelsea if they weren't such a basket case club

He's young enough to take a chance on us. There's no guarantee of him starting at City, Man U's foundations look shaky and Liverpool are in the process of a rebuild. Arsenal would make sense but they will inevitably be Arsenal. Now's the time for him to jump on the sausage train.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Is that Paul Morley the music journo?…

no idea to be honest. i just found the link on bluemoon and thought it a really good read. almost like poetry.

56 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He's young enough to take a chance on us. There's no guarantee of him starting at City, Man U's foundations look shaky and Liverpool are in the process of a rebuild. Arsenal would make sense but they will inevitably be Arsenal. Now's the time for him to jump on the sausage train.

I don’t see it happening just yet. Maybe next summer we’ll be in for the established elite players if we finish again in the top 4. Bayern, Man U or Arsenal are probably more attractive at this stage. Arsenal perhaps with the upper hand if the craic about him wanting to stay in London is to be believed. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t see it happening just yet. Maybe next summer we’ll be in for the established elite players if we finish again in the top 4. Bayern, Man U or Arsenal are probably more attractive at this stage. Arsenal perhaps with the upper hand if the craic about him wanting to stay in London is to be believed. 

Man City basically offered Yaya Toure his own body weight in gold to sign . That’s how it’s done, FFP can wait :D 

17 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Man City basically offered Yaya Toure his own body weight in gold to sign . That’s how it’s done, FFP can wait :D 

but then you risk dismantling the team spirit which has taken us to where we are. They’ll all want a pay rise and frankly they won’t Ll get one. I think we’ll pay the massive wages eventually but I don’t mind if it’s incremental. 

I don't see any team outside of England with the financial capacity to sign Rice. Only to Bayern Munich. And I don't know if they need it (maybe they do, if Kimmich comes out). PSG in the same way.

Real Madrid have just signed Bellingham, they have two youngsters like Tchouameni and Camavinga, as well as Valverde, for the future, and they still have MOdric and Kroos.

It's not Barcelona's style, I think. And they have Kimmich, Zubimendi and Gundogan as options (if they can afford it).

So, I think Rice's options are to go to Manchester City (surely, if Gundogan leaves, it can be an option and fight for a position with Kalvin Phillips).

Manchester United (I don't think they want to sign him because they already have Casemiro as indisputable).

Arsenal (Who seems to have Caicedo as a priority to replace Xhaka).

Chelsea (who need a player like that, now that Ugarte has rejected them and has gone to PSG).

Liverpool (They could try, to rebuild the midfield, but I think they are still going to trust Fabinho and the boy they have from the Academy, Bajcetic)

Us.

• Like 5

The Telegraph are reporting that Leicester still want at least 50m for Maddison despite them being relegated and him being in the final year of his contract. Even if Szoboslzai is looking for big wages surely Maddison will be looking for more. When you take that into account there probably isn't much between the deals in terms of potential outlay. The difference being that it's better to invest in a transfer fee when you have a saleable asset instead of paying massive wages. It's the difference between buying a house and paying rent.  

• Like 2

There could be a fair bit of competition for him which may drive up the price. Norwich will reportedly get 15% of any fee which no doubt helps jack up the price as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Aye, they could be restricted to another £200m.

One of Simon Jordan's rare decent moments recently was when he layed into Ten Hag for complaining about his spend when he's brought shite like Antony for 90M. 

Would be delightful to see them blow a couple of hundred million more and then have a Chelsea-eque season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

One of Simon Jordan's rare decent moments recently was when he layed into Ten Hag for complaining about his spend when he's brought shite like Antony for 90M. 

Hold on a second. You’re from Pakistan, currently living in the US and you go out of your way to listen to a British radio station that annoys you?

Heads up, @wykikitoon you have a challenger.

Edited by ewerk
  • Haha 7

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season