Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

No real wish to defend that blatant poltroon Edwards but If they’ve put 10 mill each down on Tonali, Barnes and Livramento then maybe that’s the deal given the FFP/amortisation thing? 🤔

Aye, if Tonali/Barnes/Livramento are all on 5 year deals with amortisation we've only actually spent around £24 mill of any budget

17 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Considering the England tax, the Newcastle tax, and factoring in his potential and the level he's already at, at 20, that's about as good a price as we could expect. Surgery for ACL's has come a long way and if you get a good surgeon your ACL can actually end up stronger initially, and then eventually might become only slightly weaker than before it was injured. In any case there's no way the club will spend 40m on a player if they aren't happy with the medical results. 

+ 40% going to Chelsea

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, I get that. Seems a fair old pile of cash for a prospect though 

Yeah, but that's the English tax, PL tax, Newcastle tax and Chelsea pay off. 

Apparently

Saints paid £4m for him in 2021
- There is a clause in the deal that Chelsea take a cut of the profit on any future sale to a third club
- However, the bigger the profit, the more the Chelsea % of the deal increases on a sliding scale
- Effectively, this was so that if he became a star, both teams would make £20-£30m each
- If he was decent but not quite a star, then Saints would recoup a higher % of the money
- Example 1: Saints agree to sell Tino for £30m, then we keep £18m and Chelsea get £12m
- Example 2: Saints agree to sell Tino for £50m, then we keep £28m and Chelsea get £22m

Edited by The Fish

13 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

just popped on to rtg and somehow I'm allowed back on parsnip, anyway just thought I'd see what they make of our new signing, surprisingly.....   :lol:

1331076147_Screenshot_20230803_154413_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.556b856d71e89bc6e9e190f03e130deb.jpg

I mean he’s got a great track record re: predictions. He had us to get relegated at the start of last season 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

I mean he’s got a great track record re: predictions. He had us to get relegated at the start of last season 

bearing in mind he spends his entire life thinking about us you'd think the laws of average would mean he'd get something right eventually..... but no.

Edited by thebrokendoll

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

+ 40% going to Chelsea

He is still vastly overvalued by Southampton. But fair play to them. I hope he will really be worth it. I do have confidence in our recruitment policy.

• Like 1

If this is correct we've got a very decent deal. I presume the Champions League add-ons are something like the next time we qualify for the Champions League, whether that's for the 24/25 season or whenever, then they'll get the extra 5m+. 

Edited by Polarboy

33 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

bearing in mind he spends his entire life thinking about us you'd think the laws of average would mean he'd get something right eventually..... but no.

Says he never watches us play. But knows all about our players. And then, when we do play, spends the entire time, having a completely normal one, in our match thread pretending he’s not watching us whilst telling everyone in there they are mad for watching us play. 

• Haha 5

So what does this mean for Trippier? 

Edit: sorry, thought he was a right back. 

Edit, edit: Wait he is a right back. I refer back to point one. Do we want a 30 million quid player to be used as cover or will Trippier be dropped? 

Edited by Renton

Good news, looks like a great prospect if he can stay fit, and he's young enough for us to have confidence that he will. 

As has been said, will be interesting to see where he plays and how quickly he becomes a starter. Clearly Howe likes players that can play in a few positions, and its certainly something many modern managers prefer. 

A similarly promising CB signing and we should be in a pretty decent shape for the new season. Maybe a loan or two as well, LW/forward. :naughty:

22 minutes ago, Renton said:

Edit, edit: Wait he is a right back. I refer back to point one. Do we want a 30 million quid player to be used as cover or will Trippier be dropped? 

Trippier is our new LB. You heard it here first 

36 minutes ago, Renton said:

Ashworth’s plan at Brighton was very much to sign the star players replacement before the star had left. Trippier is 32 and we’re also playing upward of 50 games this season. Without taking into account Trippier naturally winding down, Livramento is a player for now, to cover Trippier for the big games but also the player to replace Trippier in the long run. We need two decent right backs more than the left back position because, no matter what you think, Burn and Targett are perfectly good left backs 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Trippier is our new LB. You heard it here first 

You’d think we’d see Howe experiment with him in that position in pre-season if that were the case 

Aye, but a big part of our success last season was having a settled and consistent defence, with Trippier, Burn, Scharr and Botman ever presents. Trippier is also our de facto captain and has a few years left in him imo. This seems like a lot of money for someone who might not get many games this year but as with others I trust the recruitment program. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Aye, but a big part of our success last season was having a settled and consistent defence, with Trippier, Burn, Scharr and Botman ever presents. Trippier is also our de facto captain and has a few years left in him imo. This seems like a lot of money for someone who might not get many games this year but as with others I trust the recruitment program. 

Maybe he replaces Burn at left back. He can play there too 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

He seems to be the number one choice to replace Trippier when he slows down and then retires, and his price would likely have only doubled if we'd waited, or indeed Chelsea may have activated their buy back clause that would have kicked in season after next. A bit like Gordon who signed six months early it's a transfer of opportunism. 

Edit. The Chelsea buy back clause is already in effect, but that point still stands. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

He’s not replacing anyone at left back, he’s easing the burden on Trippier ahead of a campaign that’s being fought on 4 fronts ffs. We have two recognised left backs, we only had one right back worthy of the name. As in, a right back who is creating the most chances of anyone. So much of our play goes down the right hand side and especially through Trippier’s crosses. He’s far more important to the side than Burn or Targett. You had to get a second right back who you believe is on the level of Trippier, the quality left back can come later.

This kid is fucking tremendous. 40 million is a bargain 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

He’s not replacing anyone at left back, he’s easing the burden on Trippier ahead of a campaign that’s being fought on 4 fronts ffs. We have two recognised left backs, we only had one right back worthy of the name. As in, a right back who is creating the most chances of anyone. So much of our play goes down the right hand side and especially through Trippier’s crosses. He’s far more important to the side than Burn or Targett. You had to get a second right back who you believe is on the level of Trippier, the quality left back can come later.

This kid is fucking tremendous. 40 million is a bargain 

Not sure about this take.

We are surely much weaker at left back and RCB than we are at right back. Great that this kid supplies cover for Trippier at RB, but those are the two weak spots in our back line in terms of depth 

I thought Ashby looked good in pre-season but sounds like he’s away to Swansea. Despite that we also have Krafth and Manquillo who can play there. 

Left back we have Burn, who did great last season but will surely get found out in the champions league. And Targett, who was fine for the first six months but has barely played since. 

At RCB we have Schar, who has been brilliant, and, erm, Lascelles.

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season