Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I have to keep reminding myself that Hall is still only 18. 18 and he's more than capable of starting week in week out in the Premier League. Give him a year or two under Howe's coaching and he'll be in the England senior squad. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Oh aye. I'm surprised we gave both him and Karius new contracts tbh. I assumed that meant Dubravka would be off 

I thought the reason for Gillespie's renewal was because he grew up in the youth academy and could fill one of the 4 required UCL slots, but he actually left the team at the age of 15-16 so he doesn't count as a UEFA youth academy player.

Anyway, I really like what the club is doing. A sense of belonging to the squad and a sense of belonging to everything outside, with people like Ameobi or Given taking part, with people like Shearer with whom you interact... That visit from Milburn's relatives on the trip to the USA... Hopefully important things can be done with people like Solano, Keegan, Gazza or even Steven Taylor to try to reach different generations.

Edited by Diego21
  • Like 2

The Lewis Hall talk reminds me of going to the match on the metro in the Championship/Hughton days. This young kid was talking to his mates and saying that Fitz Hall’s nickname was ‘His shoe’ because his shoe fits all (Fitz Hall)’. And this older fella turned around to him and said ‘It’s one size, ya divvy’. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

So Burn goes back to CB or Targett gets sold? 

Thinking Think GIF by Originals

Hall is very young. He has to earn a place and we'll see what happens. It is a long season, 60 games.

I believe that with this, what happens is that Burn will be one of the 4 central defenders, but he will continue to be the starting LB, and that we will not sign a new CB this market (unless Lascelles leaves) and we will leave the signing of a CB for the next summer).

What "scares" me is the number of players that we are going to have with barely playing minutes and that I don't know if we will be able to sign up among the 25. I understand that Fraser, Hayden, Manquillo and Hendrick will leave, but even so, we still have players that Howe wants to be on the squad and that they are going to stay despite knowing that they never play like Ritchie, Krafth, Dummett, Gillespie...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

By the way. Is Hall an old fan of the club or something?

Yeah his dad is from Newcastle and him and his brother, who's also a footballer, grew up supporting the club. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Hall is very young. He has to earn a place and we'll see what happens. It is a long season, 60 games.

I believe that with this, what happens is that Burn will be one of the 4 central defenders, but he will continue to be the starting LB, and that we will not sign a new CB this market (unless Lascelles leaves) and we will leave the signing of a CB for the next summer).

What "scares" me is the number of players that we are going to have with barely playing minutes and that I don't know if we will be able to sign up among the 25. I understand that Fraser, Hayden, Manquillo and Hendrick will leave, but even so, we still have players that Howe wants to be on the squad and that they are going to stay despite knowing that they never play like Ritchie, Krafth, Dummett, Gillespie...

I think in Emil, we've got a 'Break Krafth in case of emergency' RCB and RB.

Ritchie, Dummett and Gillespie are surely there for their experience, HG rules and knowledge of the local Wetherspoons.

With the extra games, the extra minutes in each game, we should be able to give a lot of the squad way more minutes than we managed previously. Having that depth is a great problem to have. The hope is that we replace Ritchie, Dummett and Gillespie with younger local lads.

26 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Doesn't look like we have offers for any of Hayden, Fraser, Manquillo or Hendrick. Not long left to go in the window now. You would think if any championship clubs were interested they've had bid by now. 

11 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Doesn't look like we have offers for any of Hayden, Fraser, Manquillo or Hendrick. Not long left to go in the window now. You would think if any championship clubs were interested they've had bid by now. 

There's rumours that Fraser might head up to Celtic. Or at least there was unless that collapsed. 

2 minutes ago, OTF said:

And surely there's some interest in Manquillo from Spain?

It sounds to me that Manquillo is in Spain. A few months ago Cádiz wanted him, who ended up saving the category.

I've been looking, and there are only two teams in Spain that need to sign a RB (Alavés and Rayo Vallecano).

Rayo Vallecano is in Madrid, so he could come home. The problem? Manquillo's twin brother (yes, there are two) played for several years in the Rayo Vallecano youth academy and when he left there must have been a very bad relationship between family and club.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

It sounds to me that Manquillo is in Spain. A few months ago Cádiz wanted him, who ended up saving the category.

I've been looking, and there are only two teams in Spain that need to sign a RB (Alavés and Rayo Vallecano).

Rayo Vallecano is in Madrid, so he could come home. The problem? Manquillo's twin brother (yes, there are two) played for several years in the Rayo Vallecano youth academy and when he left there must have been a very bad relationship between family and club.

all leads to the question….did we sign the right Manquillo? 

5 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Has Rafa got a job there?

Yes. In Celta Vigo. 

Could be. Because Celta de Vigo has 2RB (Carreria and Vazquez) and only 1LB (Manu Sánchez, on loan from Atleti).

Carreira and so young and inexperienced, Vazquez is not so good and Sánchez is (for me) very soft in defense.

The other day, Rafa played with Cervi (Second Striker) in Left Back.

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

all leads to the question….did we sign the right Manquillo? 

Yes. 

Hahahaha

Okay. I don't want to scare anyone. But Manquillo at 18 years old was a Top player project. (As today is Lewis Hall) (Don't hate me).

He played in the lower teams of Spain with two older boys (Montoya, Barcelona; Carvajal, Real Madrid) and the best of all was Manquillo.

He looked amazing. But when he made his debut with the Atleti first team, he had the misfortune that Juanfran began to play in that team, who was a converted winger and who was the Best Right Back in the history of Atleti playing for the club for 7-8 years. great level.

Manquillo went on loan... And it was so stupid that he went to Liverpool (where Glenn Johnson and Jon Flanagan were) and in the years in which he had to make the leap... he was playing very little and on loan without sense.

Then he started playing LB sometimes... Where he had never played... And he ended up being a mediocre player.

PS: The story with his brother is curious. Both played for Real Madrid. But Real Madrid kicked out Vïctor (his brother from him) and stayed with Javi when they were both 13 years old. This greatly upset the family, who wanted the brothers to continue playing together. So they went to Atlético de Madrid. But Víctor really wasn't good, he didn't pass the tests and Javier was left alone. Víctor went to Rayo Vallecano and there he was. Victor retired 5-6 years ago and the highest level he could do was play a year in the third level of Spanish football (and in Spain, the third level is not professional and you don't earn money to live).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

Yeah his dad is from Newcastle and him and his brother, who's also a footballer, grew up supporting the club. 

And finally he gets to follow in his brother's footsteps. Though in fairness he looks nothing like Fitz.

37 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think in Emil, we've got a 'Break Krafth in case of emergency' RCB and RB.

Ritchie, Dummett and Gillespie are surely there for their experience, HG rules and knowledge of the local Wetherspoons.

With the extra games, the extra minutes in each game, we should be able to give a lot of the squad way more minutes than we managed previously. Having that depth is a great problem to have. The hope is that we replace Ritchie, Dummett and Gillespie with younger local lads.

The first time I went into a Wetherspoon I almost left angry and without eating.  

If they stay to explain that, it seems to me that they are exploited inscriptions.

Must be sad when your twin brother is far superior at something.  

I suspect the real reason Javi hasn’t fulfilled his potential  is because his evil twin brother (aptly named Victor) has been sticking pins in his voodoo doll. 

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season