Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Just reading about this Olise stuff, and Palace accusing Chelsea of tapping him up. Surely that argument between them will put the kibosh on the loan deal they had going for Hall, regardless of our interest. 

On 15/08/2023 at 08:12, ewerk said:

Chelsea have shifted plenty of their shite in this window but the thing about the signings they've made is that the amortisation charge is recurring every year while the sales are only accounted for in the period they happen. So basically Chelsea are going to have to continue making sales next summer and if they can get one tied up now then that provides an element of certainty on their side.

The Athletic stealing my content now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Polarboy said:

If it's a loan I don't see how it would be hard to find a way because of FFP, so that seems weird. Surely his wages and the loan fee wouldn't be that high. Unless it's an obligation to buy at the end of the loan, but even still we should have money to spend a year from now. I don't think we should loan him just for a year with no obligation or option to buy. Why should we develop a rivals player for a year only to hand them back. It will be interesting to see what happens come the end of the window. It does really seem like we are going for a LB, after everyone thought we'd close our business with a RCB. It would be nice to get both, but perhaps the RCB's we want to eventually replace Schar are out of reach at present because of money etc. 

The way I've read the reports, it's not a loan deal we're ultimately after, it's a permanent transfer. Not sure we can manage that this window without breaking FFP, unless we obfuscate the purchase from the books by doing a loan with an obligation. If that happens the money will be accounted for in next season's books. 

I'd be delighted with Hall, he's a tremendous prospect, but I'd still rather we were signing a RCB.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I just find it hilarious that chelsea's last 2 signings have gazumped liverpool of 2 of their main targets. the angst and fume on rawk is tremendous, they've even managed to rope us in to the equation due to clearlake and the pif.

just need salah to fuck off to saudi now and it's been an incredibly entertaining transfer window.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The Athletic have added the name of Juan Miranda off Betis to the four man list of LB's we're targeting. The others obviously being Cucurella, Hall and Tierney. My first reaction was, what that bloke who wrote Hamilton, but apparently he's a 23 year old Spanish footballer, with a good mix of Burn's defensive solidity and Trippier's attacking intent. 

Edited by Polarboy

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

They've been doing this for bloody ages, buying loads of talented young players, loaning the ones out who arent top echelon and then selling them for huge profits. This is just higher profile players and larger fees. It only works results wise if you have a proper strategy to the purchases and someone to bring them together on the field. For me I'm not sure that Pochettino will be able to do that, but he's going to get a good chance at it, both in terms of money to spent and time to bring an identity to a Chelsea team that has lacked one since Conte. I can't see them jettisoning another manager in a big hurry.

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

The Athletic have added the name of Juan Miranda off Betis to the four man list of LB's we're targeting. The others obviously being Cucurella, Hall and Tierney. My first reaction was, what that bloke who wrote Hamilton, but apparently he's a 23 year old Spanish footballer, with a good mix of Burn's defensive solidity and Trippier's attacking intent. 

Didn’t he write Hamilton?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

I'm not sure Juan Miranda is solid defensively. Yes, it's going very well up there. He is a very good attacker and can help us in games where we need to attack much more.

He still has room for improvement, because he's young, but he also makes some big mistakes.

He has come out of the Barcelona youth academy, so he is very good with the ball at his feet.

Now, I think our offer will have to be close to 20M because Barcelona itself has 40% of a future sale so Betis won't let it go cheap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diego21 said:

I'm not sure Juan Miranda is solid defensively. Yes, it's going very well up there. He is a very good attacker and can help us in games where we need to attack much more.

He still has room for improvement, because he's young, but he also makes some big mistakes.

He has come out of the Barcelona youth academy, so he is very good with the ball at his feet.

Now, I think our offer will have to be close to 20M because Barcelona itself has 40% of a future sale so Betis won't let it go cheap.

I was relying on a twitter analyst for the profile of his supposed strengths. I can't say I've seen him play like yourself.  

Just now, Polarboy said:

I was relying on a twitter analyst for the profile of his supposed strengths. I can't say I've seen him play like yourself.  

I haven't seen him play too much either. Even though I'm Spanish, I barely watch the Spanish League because it's very boring to me.

But the defense of Juan Miranda is what is always criticized the most. He has never been a starter in his 3 years at Betis and neither was he when he was on loan in Germany. Only in these last six months (because Betis sold Alex Moreno to Aston Villa) he kept the position.

If you remember him, he is the player who played in the Euro U21 final a few weeks ago. And certainly, he had a very good tournament.

I think he can be adaptable to our team, but maybe a bit expensive and he doesn't offer absolute guarantees.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Diego21 said:

I haven't seen him play too much either. Even though I'm Spanish, I barely watch the Spanish League because it's very boring to me.

But the defense of Juan Miranda is what is always criticized the most. He has never been a starter in his 3 years at Betis and neither was he when he was on loan in Germany. Only in these last six months (because Betis sold Alex Moreno to Aston Villa) he kept the position.

If you remember him, he is the player who played in the Euro U21 final a few weeks ago. And certainly, he had a very good tournament.

I think he can be adaptable to our team, but maybe a bit expensive and he doesn't offer absolute guarantees.

With La Liga being dull, why does everyone want to go to Madrid? It's a bit like the SPL, only warmer. 

I can see they get Champs League football every year but most other top clubs are guaranteed now, with the way that CL is structured.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season