Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I had a bit crack with the Brighton Players' Liaison Officer after we done them 4-1 and asked him about Ashworth's pulling power with recruitment. He downplayed it and said their owner is the guy; purchases players based purely on statistics as he's from a gambling background and believes in them and almost nowt else, apparently. Could have just been trying to flatten my stotty at his appointment, like.

1 hour ago, aimaad22 said:

Even Edwards has his uses. His constant shite about the transfer budget and our inability to spend will have played a small role in managing expectations of other clubs as to what we can pay. 

Most journos/fans did their own calculations and correctly estimated we could easily spend 150M plus with a sale or two. The lazy useless incompetent bellend that Edwards is immediately lapped up anything fed to him, and that will remain true whether we get Hall or not.  

‘Useful idiot’ is the phrase you’re looking for.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

A mate of mine lives near Hall at the minute. He said he helps out at the local cricket club and is regularly seen coaching youth football in the village. Seems like a good kid and probably fits the mould that the club is looking for. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Mental when you compare our current squad to Bruce's not too long ago.

Saivet, Hendrick, Atsu, Ki, Gayle, Clark, Hayden, Yedlin, Carroll etc.

IMG_4264.thumb.jpeg.c8b95a533ef62c543e8c8f2ee92fe2f9.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg.6b0017aa45671d197fcb69697d398ad1.jpeg

Bloody hell that Bruce starting line-up is horrific.

I notice there's even some bandaged up bloke on the bench.

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Mental when you compare our current squad to Bruce's not too long ago.

Saivet, Hendrick, Atsu, Ki, Gayle, Clark, Hayden, Yedlin, Carroll etc.

IMG_4264.thumb.jpeg.c8b95a533ef62c543e8c8f2ee92fe2f9.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg.6b0017aa45671d197fcb69697d398ad1.jpeg

Just imagine what Bruce could have achieved with proper investment. Just goes to show the best English manager in the game had two hands tied behind his back by Ashley.

(Copyright Alex Bruce and various of Steve's  pissed up old mates in the media)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I still reckon we'll move if something interesting in the loan market appears, or we manage to get rid of most of the dead wood. We still have two full weeks until it closes. Either way it will be nice to be relaxed given how well Ashworth and Eddie have done. Who's had a better window? Chelsea have spent more, but do they have a clear plan. Everything Ashworth and Eddie do seems to be planned for the present and well into the future. 

• Like 1

I love that Liverpool have had a fucking stinker. Listening to the weekend preview podcasts and it's still Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man United that are being talked about as most likely to enter the title race.

They might be ultimately proven right if our squad gets stretched too thin, but these lads are really finding it hard to get over their "traditional" big 6 fixation.

• Like 5

Just thinking about it and we've only spent 130m when you take into account that Hall is loan to buy. When you look at the quality and longevity we've bought given their ages, it pisses all over pretty much every other clubs window. And we've made roughly 40m on the ASM and Wood sales. So it's 90m net. 

Edited by Polarboy

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I love that Liverpool have had a fucking stinker. Listening to the weekend preview podcasts and it's still Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man United that are being talked about as most likely to enter the title race.

They might be ultimately proven right if our squad gets stretched too thin, but these lads are really finding it hard to get over their "traditional" big 6 fixation.

I reckon there's going to be a fanny hair between the teams 3rd to 10th. Man City and Arsenal aside every team has frailties, be it their squad depth (Spurs, Villa), their inexperience (us, Brighton, Brentford, Chelsea), or particularly suspect positions (Man Utd, Liverpool).

If Man Utd had bought Kane they'd be a shoe in for 3rd, if Liverpool had bought Caicedo or Lavia they'd have 3rd or 4th sewn up. 

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

Just thinking about it and we've only spent 130m when you take into account that Hall is loan to buy. When you look at the quality and longevity we've bought given their ages, it pisses all over pretty much every other clubs window. 

If we sign Hall then, for me, it's an A+ window. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I reckon there's going to be a fanny hair between the teams 3rd to 10th. Man City and Arsenal aside every team has frailties, be it their squad depth (Spurs, Villa), their inexperience (us, Brighton, Brentford, Chelsea), or particularly suspect positions (Man Utd, Liverpool).

If Man Utd had bought Kane they'd be a shoe in for 3rd, if Liverpool had bought Caicedo or Lavia they'd have 3rd or 4th sewn up. 

I reckon this Japanese player Endo might surprise a few people. He's getting unfairly derided on twitter by way of comparison to who they were after, but he might end up some very smart business. They needed some experience and leadership in their team after Milner, Henderson etc left, and he gives them that. I'd still be very wary of Liverpool. Their attack is still unquestionably scary, and if the sex register signer can bed in Endo, and perhaps Doucoure, into their midfield they could add some solidity through the middle, and not be so easily played through. 

5 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I reckon this Japanese player Endo might surprise a few people. He's getting unfairly derided on twitter by way of comparison to who they were after, but he might end up some very smart business. They needed some experience and leadership in their team after Milner, Henderson etc left, and he gives them that. I'd still be very wary of Liverpool. Their attack is still unquestionably scary, and if the sex register signer can bed in Endo, and perhaps Doucoure, into their midfield they could add some solidity through the middle, and not be so easily played through. 

With the best will in the world Endo (for all his reported ability) is 30yr old, so he's a stop gap signing at best. 

Found this interesting on him.

50 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

From the outside only Chelsea have improved and that's because of their manager, the other two look worse to me. We're better but the test will be when the fixtures pile up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

With the best will in the world Endo (for all his reported ability) is 30yr old, so he's a stop gap signing at best. 

Found this interesting on him.

I'm not making a direct comparison or saying he'll have even half the influence, but Trippier shows what a quality addition with experience can do for a team. Him being 30 could be an advantage as I've said given how much experience and leadership they sold this summer. But we'll see. I've stuck my neck out now, and only time will tell if I'm right or wrong. 

5 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

This has us owing Chelsea a favour written all over it. Doesn't sit well with me but you have to trust the decision makers know what they're doing.

Can't see that 

12 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I'm not making a direct comparison or saying he'll have even half the influence, but Trippier shows what a quality addition with experience can do for a team. Him being 30 could be an advantage as I've said given how much experience and leadership they sold this summer. But we'll see. I've stuck my neck out now, and only time will tell if I'm right or wrong. 

Endo has zero experience of the premier league 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season