Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Imagine this under Ashley. 😂

The Sports Direct Arena (for no money) was one thing. 

But I’m sure we’d all tolerate Sela St James’ Park for an extra £50m a season or whatever. Everyone would still call it SJP so who gives a shit?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The Sports Direct Arena (for no money) was one thing. 

But I’m sure we’d all tolerate Sela St James’ Park for an extra £50m a season or whatever. Everyone would still call it SJP so who gives a shit?

Tbf the idea under Ashley was to sell the naming rights to a third company but it caused a huge uproar. Rightfully. It was a shit idea then and it is shit idea now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Tbf the idea under Ashley was to sell the naming rights to a third company but it caused a huge uproar. Rightfully. It was a shit idea then and it is shit idea now. 

I don’t think he ever had any intention of selling the stadium naming rights. It was just another free advertising opportunity for the business he actually cared about. There wasn’t a square inch of the ground that wasn’t covered with that minging sports direct logo.  

• Like 5

22 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

I'd be livid if we sold Willock before Almiron. Fish has a good point about how heavily loaded we are on the left though. And none of the them seem to be as useful on the right wing. Gordon given time perhaps?

Almiron would be the first team player most people would choose to get shot off first, but who would actually give us decent money for him? 

Willock has missed that much football I'm not sure how much we would miss him, but who is going to pay big money for a player who can't stay fit? Likewise for Wilson.

Id be gutted if Bruno, Isak or Botman went as they have been three of our best signings since the takeover and the team should be getting built around them. 

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 1

Darren Eales is always banging on about selling players for FFP. Right, we get it, fuck me. I think we’ve made our point, no need to labour it every transfer window. Especially when we start throwing about 40 and 50 million like it’s nowt 

The harsh truth is that we don’t have many valuable and saleable players. I don’t think we can really make decent money apart from selling the big hitters.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Almiron would be the first team player most people would choose to get shot off first, but who would actually give us decent money for him? 

Willock has missed that much football I'm not sure how much we would miss him, but who is going to pay big money for a player who can't stay fit? Likewise for Wilson.

Id be gutted if Bruno, Isak or Botman went as they have been three of our best signings since the takeover and the team should be getting built around them. 

I’m amazed Al-Kebab of the Saudi pro league haven’t come in with a £40m bid for Miggy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RobElliott said:

Problem with Ashley was that he would have just pocketed the cash. Mandy will want to pump all the cash back into the club.

Curious to know how much the value of these things are, say it was £10m that could let us get another Isak!

Not saying we should rename mind!

Bodyform @ SJP :D 

They'd communicate the reason as well.

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

The harsh truth is that we don’t have many valuable and saleable players. I don’t think we can really make decent money apart from selling the big hitters.

Yup. Isak and Bruno being about it.

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Yeah this is obviously a problem. But then I suppose if a player is not regular starting eleven there is a reason for it, whether that's fitness, form or quality. It's still possible they could have value for another team.

I'd ideally keep Miggy and Wilson as squad players, but we may not have that luxury unless the plan really is to ship Bruno off. 

Not beyond the realms of possibility that a mid table premier league club would take a punt on Wilson for 25-30M? He has an injury record aye but he's also a proven goal scorer in this league and they're not easily found these days. Miggy should also be attractive to mid table clubs in that price range.  Whether we're able to find the right deal is another question.

32 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Yup. Isak and Bruno being about it.

Botman. It's really just those three.

I suppose Joelinton too, we spent £40m on him and he's got to be worth double that now.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t think he ever had any intention of selling the stadium naming rights. It was just another free advertising opportunity for the business he actually cared about. There wasn’t a square inch of the ground that wasn’t covered with that minging sports direct logo.  

You're right; our commercial and marketing department was Penfold answering the phone using a slightly different voice. If any company legitimately wanted to do any sort of deal they'd have had to wait for his order of Commercial Sponsorship for Dummies to be fulfilled. 

• Like 1

i mean, what is the point in being the richest club in the world if you're just going to roll over and let the "big six" call the shots? 

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:
why we playing so nice? there are surely loopholes to exploit - raiding the saudi pro league, the most obvious one

You're assuming that's an option. Given that PIF have spent much more money on the Saudi League than they have on us then that could well be their focus. Will they want to weaken that by loaning out players to the PL a few months after signing them?

• Like 1

the other thing stiffing us on FFP is the number of Ashley era players out loan still milking us for 50k+ a week in wages - Fraser, Hendrick, Lewis, Hayden all need shifting but Hendrick is the only one whose contract expires this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the other thing stiffing us on FFP is the number of Ashley era players out loan still milking us for 50k+ a week in wages - Fraser, Hendrick, Lewis, Hayden all need shifting but Hendrick is the only one whose contract expires this season. 

But he was such a great businessman and was doing a great job here? 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You're assuming that's an option. Given that PIF have spent much more money on the Saudi League than they have on us then that could well be their focus. Will they want to weaken that by loaning out players to the PL a few months after signing them?

Exactly, whilst we all still consider the Saudi League to be a bit of a joke, they don't, so they aren't about to belittle themselves by loaning out players whom they have just spent big money luring there.

We just have to be patient. Last season was amazing, but that's not going to be possible this season, so we'll have to be shrewd in summer and come at 24/25 domestic season hard.

Reality Reaction GIF by Married At First Sight

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

you might be right.

but that isn't the only option available. there are ways to increase ffp headroom - i'm surprised by how nice they're playing it.

the big six clearly don't want us to join the club, and it was never going to happen as quickly as chelsea/man city managed it because of the barriers that have been put in place to slow us. but we are being very compliant so far. i imagined pif would be more "creative"

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It's a controversial opinion but with Joelinton out injured there's a job here that Hayden's experience could be valuable for - rubbing down big Joe's quads during recovery and thereafter pre and post match.

• Haha 6