Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

If Trippier goes I’m cool with it. He’s 32 now and has probably peaked as an attacking RB in the PL. Ideally him and Tino would be rotated but finances and injuries won’t allow it.

I get why they would sell him for £15-20m at his age but it’s premature to say he’s peaked. He’s been unbelievable for us since signing bar a little dip in form the past month or so. He’ll be a massive loss were he to go 

https://theathletic.com/5218649/2024/01/23/newcastle-almiron-transfer-trippier-wilson/

Summary:

Trippier not going anywhere because his leadership is too valuable to replace. Unless stupid money comes in. Current offers seem nowhere near enough. Tripps happy to stay.

Wilson not going anywhere because it's too difficult to replace him in this window. Unless stupid money comes in. Same deal as above.

Almiron a different story, club reluctant to sell, but he will be sold if the price is right.

Joelinton contract situation looks to drag on into next season. Club hoping to meet somewhere in the middle and avoid disrupting entire wage structure.

Bruno likely to be sold in the summer, (dropped as a side note in answering the Joelinton question strangely so not so sure how concrete the opinion/reporting is), but the story goes that it business will likely be done, and, in combination with the released players coming off contract and new sponsorship deals, will signal a big turnover in squad personnel and something of a transformation of the squad. It's our "Coutinho/Grealish/Kane" money, I suppose. Big dollars for one player to reinvest in multiple elite players across multiple positions in the squad.

There was a mention too that the approach this window is perhaps indicative that the season is perhaps something of a writeoff (not coming from the club, of course) but that's the sense many get from the activity that we're keeping our powder dry for a better buyer's market in the summer (when we will also have more coin to work with).

I'm pretty happy with this tbh. It's disappointing that we probably won't see much business (unless Miggy is sold and/or we can swoop on a player that becomes available). But it does make sense to wait until the summer really. We're not trying to avoid relegation or push for CL this season. There's no point blowing our load for minimal chance of a big reward.

I'd be gutted to see Bruno go, but it seems like the writing is on the wall. And it'll be toward a positive end too so it'll hurt a whole lot less when we see 4-5 high-quality "replacements" on the pitch.

• Like 2

I think Forest’s problem was that they sold Brennan Johnson too late. Their main argument seems to be that if they’d sold him earlier in the window then they’d have gotten a lower fee so I suppose they have that money to spend now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Meanwhile we can't sign anyone and these cunts are under investigation 😂

Ajax won't work with us because of their connections to the mackems. Clearly.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think Forest’s problem was that they sold Brennan Johnson too late. Their main argument seems to be that if they’d sold him earlier in the window then they’d have gotten a lower fee so I suppose they have that money to spend now.

And they apparently bodged the paper work to show that it was earlier. 

50 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

It’s getting desperate. what is Bentaleb upto these days ? 

I sense a deadline day bid coming

image.jpeg.608136754b66e6e61150879394e901e7.jpeg

Unless we are about to do a Brighton and buy a load of wonder kids who will light the place up, I still can't see how we can sell our guaranteed first teamers when there's not much to back them up. There's nothing to suggest our youth, bar Miley are anywhere near capable to drop in as backup. 

53 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Considering what other players like Fabinho and Neves have gone for, the fee should be at least 30M hopefully.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I sense a deadline day bid coming

image.jpeg.608136754b66e6e61150879394e901e7.jpeg

Reinvented as a combative box to box midfielder. 

2 hours ago, Isegrim said:

If this goes ahead will it mean Gordon being played on the right and Barnes on the left (once fit) or the other way around?

28 minutes ago, OTF said:

If this goes ahead will it mean Gordon being played on the right and Barnes on the left (once fit) or the other way around?

Cant imagine swapping Gordon, hes been one of our best players this season from the left, it makes very little sense to destabilise his performances. Barnes being on the right means we only have to get up and running with one new player in an unfamiliar role in the side rather than a new player on the left and one playing a new position on the right.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, toonotl said:

https://theathletic.com/5218649/2024/01/23/newcastle-almiron-transfer-trippier-wilson/

Summary:

Trippier not going anywhere because his leadership is too valuable to replace. Unless stupid money comes in. Current offers seem nowhere near enough. Tripps happy to stay.

Wilson not going anywhere because it's too difficult to replace him in this window. Unless stupid money comes in. Same deal as above.

Almiron a different story, club reluctant to sell, but he will be sold if the price is right.

Joelinton contract situation looks to drag on into next season. Club hoping to meet somewhere in the middle and avoid disrupting entire wage structure.

Bruno likely to be sold in the summer, (dropped as a side note in answering the Joelinton question strangely so not so sure how concrete the opinion/reporting is), but the story goes that it business will likely be done, and, in combination with the released players coming off contract and new sponsorship deals, will signal a big turnover in squad personnel and something of a transformation of the squad. It's our "Coutinho/Grealish/Kane" money, I suppose. Big dollars for one player to reinvest in multiple elite players across multiple positions in the squad.

There was a mention too that the approach this window is perhaps indicative that the season is perhaps something of a writeoff (not coming from the club, of course) but that's the sense many get from the activity that we're keeping our powder dry for a better buyer's market in the summer (when we will also have more coin to work with).

I'm pretty happy with this tbh. It's disappointing that we probably won't see much business (unless Miggy is sold and/or we can swoop on a player that becomes available). But it does make sense to wait until the summer really. We're not trying to avoid relegation or push for CL this season. There's no point blowing our load for minimal chance of a big reward.

I'd be gutted to see Bruno go, but it seems like the writing is on the wall. And it'll be toward a positive end too so it'll hurt a whole lot less when we see 4-5 high-quality "replacements" on the pitch.

I think any talk of Bruno being sold is just opinion rather than anything concrete. The bloke seems more than happy to stay, and as KD noted we should be building around him. Our FFP situation starts to really clear come summer as this year will be one of the FFP back years which will have the sale of ASM (and potentially Almiron) as well as CL money, SELA and other sponsorships. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Cant imagine swapping Gordon, hes been one of our best players this season from the left, it makes very little sense to destabilise his performances. Barnes being on the right means we only have to get up and running with one new player in an unfamiliar role in the side rather than a new player on the left and one playing a new position on the right.

Agree, I was just thinking that Barnes really really likes to cut in and shoot with his right, where-as Gordon only reallly likes to.

If he goes we'll definitely miss Miggy's engine, but definitely not his right foot. In fact he'd probably not miss his right foot if it went.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OTF said:

Agree, I was just thinking that Barnes really really likes to cut in and shoot with his right, where-as Gordon only reallly likes to.

If he goes we'll definitely miss Miggy's engine, but definitely not his right foot. In fact he'd probably not miss his right foot if it went.

We also have Murphy coming back soon. It'll be him starting down the right with Barnes as back up to Gordon until the summer IMO

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

We also have Murphy coming back soon. It'll be him starting down the right with Barnes as back up to Gordon until the summer IMO

I hope he can perform at his highest levels consistently, but for me Murphy is better as an impact player when defenses are tiring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OTF said:

I hope he can perform at his highest levels consistently, but for me Murphy is better as an impact player when defenses are tiring.

I think he's been pretty consistent whenever he's had a start under Howe but it's always been stop/start because of Miggy rarely getting injured. It'll be interesting to see how he would play with an extended run of games towards the end of the season - I think that may well be in Howe's thinking too.

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I think he's been pretty consistent whenever he's had a start under Howe but it's always been stop/start because of Miggy rarely getting injured. It'll be interesting to see how he would play with an extended run of games towards the end of the season - I think that may well be in Howe's thinking too.

Hopefully, he won't fall over in the first 3 minutes and bugger his shoulder again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Hopefully, he won't fall over in the first 3 minutes and bugger his shoulder again

It's bionic now after his surgery - fear not.

• Haha 2