Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Must admit Im so chilled about whats going on right now. For me, the seasons over with and they are simply being very shwred and looking at the longer term plan.  (And at least we know these people do plan). 

Our financial circumstances dictate that to achieve our ambitions we have to squeeze money from every source so thanks for your service but bye to the majority of them. Fill the under 21's up with the next wave and lets get some younger first team talent in for next season along with a couple of jewels who can hurt the opposition.

• Like 5

The one thing I think I am a bit meh is, if we finished 12 or 13.  What sort of player can we attract next season?  But then I think if the club sold its vision to Bruno and Botman, then this is fine.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The one thing I think I am a bit meh is, if we finished 12 or 13.  What sort of player can we attract next season?  But then I think if the club sold its vision to Bruno and Botman, then this is fine.

I would have thought we’d have a real go at getting 6th place but who knows what the plan/expectations are behind the scenes.

9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Nah. we've had a perfect storm of bad luck this season and everyone knows where we are headed. Might not get the very cream just yet but we will have no problem getting good upgrades the likes of Miggy, Wilson etc. and younger under 21's who are genuinely not too far off a call up if needed. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I would have thought we’d have a real go at getting 6th place but who knows what the plan/expectations are behind the scenes.

I'm guessing it's do the best we can with what we have available. If we can get a few back to fitness and get on a bit of a run, great but no great shakes given what's happened so far with injuries.

I'm bewildered with all the rumours going on at the moment. It sounds as if we are listening to offers on anyone and everyone yet there's absolutely no sign us buying replacements. I do think you need to come at purchases from a position of strength. If you don't have a recognised player or backup in a position you're trying to buy, then they're going to bend you over on price as they know you need it. Whilst all that we are talking about bar Trips are probably at the point of upgrade, at the minute we are relying on them to get us through the injuries. 

Maybe there is some kind of rift in the camp which has led to this stuff coming up?

2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I'm bewildered with all the rumours going on at the moment. It sounds as if we are listening to offers on anyone and everyone yet there's absolutely no sign us buying replacements. I do think you need to come at purchases from a position of strength. If you don't have a recognised player or backup in a position you're trying to buy, then they're going to bend you over on price as they know you need it. Whilst all that we are talking about bar Trips are probably at the point of upgrade, at the minute we are relying on them to get us through the injuries. 

Maybe there is some kind of rift in the camp which has led to this stuff coming up?

I don’t think that Eales interview was beneficial (or the way it was reported). I suspect every player has a price and we are now being tested. 

12 minutes ago, Chaser said:

We're the keep it shtum kids these days. 

Anyone trying to buy from us won't give us the same courtesy cos they'll be keen to stabilise the player. 

Whereas anyone we're looking to buy from will be under orders to keep it on the DL cos that's the way we operate.

That's my theory for why there's a lot of noise about outgoings and little about incomings anyway. 

I very rarely put on Sky sports news and usually turn it over pretty quick when I do. Yesterday I put it on and one of the presenters was joined by two blokes, no idea who they were but I kept it on for a minute as they had Eddie, Trips and Almiron pictured in the background. This is what I caught some of.... Unknown bloke 1 was going on about how Bayern always win the league, Barcelona and Real Madrid usually win it in Spain but apart from Man City lately, more teams win it here SO WHY SHOULD NEWCASTLE BE ALLOWED TO JUST BUY WHO THEY WANT so in a nutshell the regs were good. Also said we'll be ok as joelinton is nearly back from injury. That's when I turned it off. No idea who the fuck they were but at least educate yourself on the situation without making a tit of yourself regarding big Joe and we can't invest to grow the club as dipshit reckons it isn't fair. They know the square root of fuck all. (Can't remember if I mentioned it yesterday as my brain is turning into mush). 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Chaser said:

You need a big ol' gulp of Man the Fuck Up Juice.

There've been plenty of stories linking us to players, some of them may hold water, some may not. The point is, most of the stories are nonsense, just rumour mill shit. We are absolutely open to offers for everyone, but don't confuse being open for business as being weak. We're batting away bids for Trippier and Wilson, we're demanding a high price for Almiron. We're no pushovers where it really matters. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I don’t think that Eales interview was beneficial (or the way it was reported). I suspect every player has a price and we are now being tested. 

That might have been the plan though, to evaluate the market and do business if it does suit us. We did also show that we are no pushovers.

• Like 1

Knight-Ryder is reporting that Almiron doesn’t want to leave.  Miggy was training today. 

What a lovely shambles of a transfer window this has been. 😂

Edited by Holden McGroin

Yeah I get it from Miggy's point of view because he is very very unlikely to end up at a club chasing CL or trophies. If 30M is on offer though I hope Ashworth has him tied up and in a taxi because that's definitely the best thing for the club for next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

Knight-Ryder is reporting that Almiron doesn’t want to leave.  Miggy was training today. 

What a lovely shambles of a transfer window this has been. 😂

Id be telling him his position is due an upgrade in the Summer, so he's fine to stay, but he will be a squad player next season. 

May as well take the money and run Miggy!

• Like 5

Can imagine Miggy is really settled up here in the NE with his family, must love the club and playing here, so leaving for Saudi at the relative drop of a hat is probably last thing he'd want.

From fans pov, thought it all seemed perfect for us. Clear as day we need to move out players and get funds in to progress. Out of all the squad, Miggy strikes best balance of incoming transfer fee and losing key player - can't shift Hayden/Lewis level garbage, and don't want to lose the Botman/Bruno/Isak/Tripps for £15M levels either.

Getting anything north of £20M for Almiron this window could have been decent move. Might have put us in the shit RW option wise, but it's a position we need to improve on and get someone playing there on the level of Gordon/Isak, recoup decent fee we can use for FFP, and come summer on his current form he's going to end up a £10M player.

Still dream we sign Kvara 🥰 Never saw Gascoigne or Beardsley play...

Not heard anything about this skilful fellow since Napoli won, yet Osimehn is making sure he's Mr. Worldwide. Chelsea seems a done deal.

Perfect January window is siging the Georgian bros - this jinky fellow, and the shot stopping hulk from Valenica.

Edited by Nefilim

19 hours ago, The Fish said:

Maybe, dunno, it could be £5m. But whatever we get will be available to spend. 

Lascelles will either go now for some money or in 6 months for nothing. We've got serviceable deputy centrebacks like Burn, and even Murphy, Krafth, and Dummett. 

In terms of leadership on the pitch, yeah that is a concern. After those two, you're looking at Bruno who isn't the calmest head, Schar who doesn't seem like an inspirational character.

Feels like Lascelles is still young, but he's 30 so I'm inclined to agree. The flipside to that is that he's looked good when called on by Eddie and has shown a great attitude off the pitch. Schär has played his best football in the wrong side of 30, and Lascelles having had a quiet two seasons should have a good few years in him. The final flipside is that he probably still turns like an oil tanker.

2 hours ago, Nefilim said:

Still dream we sign Kvara 🥰 Never saw Gascoigne or Beardsley play...

Not heard anything about this skilful fellow since Napoli won, yet Osimehn is making sure he's Mr. Worldwide. Chelsea seems a done deal.

Perfect January window is siging the Georgian bros - this jinky fellow, and the shot stopping hulk from Valenica.

He feels like a top tier player so I bet he is angling for the Madrids and Man Citys of the world. 

Edited by Holden McGroin