Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I'd love him here but he's a London boy and I suspect he'll go to Arsenal. (and yes he's only got 1 year left and everywhere seems to report he'll leave WH this summer).

Does anyone expect a fantasy signing such as Rice, Bellingham or Osimhen? It hasn’t really been our style so far. Maybe the extra revenue from champions league and new sponsors will change that but I suspect Howe will continue to target less spectacular players. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Does anyone expect a fantasy signing such as Rice, Bellingham or Osimhen? It hasn’t really been our style so far. Maybe the extra revenue from champions league and new sponsors will change that but I suspect Howe will continue to target less spectacular players. 

Nah, not at this early stage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think we'll stick to Botman/Bruno/Isak level players; respected, well scouted, bags of potential

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think we'll stick to Botman/Bruno/Isak level players; respected, well scouted, bags of potential

Yeah, young hungry and highly rated has been a winning formula so far. I don’t see is buying £100m players…..yet

Is that Slinky-Milinkovic on a par with Rice? I’ve never seen him play tbh but I know he’s highly rated. Someone like that for about half the price seems more like the policy we have. Although I suppose a lot depends on our final league position 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think we would be more willing to pay a £100m asking price for Rice - he's a proven PL player, so you know exactly what you're getting.

Way less likely that we sign someone for £100m from abroad. Having said that, we spent £63m on Isak which is getting up there.

Having said all this, I think he'll have more trophy-ready options than us anyway, so I think it's academic.

• Like 2

Rice would be a mega statement signing.  But like Gemmill said 'trophy-ready' is what he will be after.  Albeit he's still only 24 he will no doubt want pretty much sure fire final fighting teams.

59 minutes ago, Alex said:

Is that Slinky-Milinkovic on a par with Rice? I’ve never seen him play tbh but I know he’s highly rated. Someone like that for about half the price seems more like the policy we have. Although I suppose a lot depends on our final league position 

Milinkovic-Savic? Play different roles, and Milinkovic Savic has 4 years on Rice. MS is more of a number 8/box-to-box/Mezzala-type midfielder, Rice is more number 6/DM/Regista*.

*---> Safety Wink ;) Safety Wink<---

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Milinkovic-Savic? Play different roles, and Milinkovic Savic has 4 years on Rice. MS is more of a number 8/box-to-box/Mezzala-type midfielder, Rice is more number 6/DM/Regista*.

rice looks more suited to a double pivot in a low block 🤪

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yes, him. I was referencing the cat from the Hairy Maclary books. OBVIOUSLY.

Going off your description, I say we buy both 

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yes, him. I was referencing the cat from the Hairy Maclary books. OBVIOUSLY.

Going off your description, I say we buy both 

I'd love Rice and he's young enough that perhaps the next move doesn't have to be the Man City one, he's got time to take a bit of a risk and join us instead?

I dunno, it's hard to make an argument for him joining in the fun at Newcastle, when he could comfortably hold down a starting position at any big club in England and likely a few options abroad as well. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Milinkovic-Savic? Play different roles, and Milinkovic Savic has 4 years on Rice. MS is more of a number 8/box-to-box/mozzarella-pomodoro-basilico-AdobeStock_-type midfielder, Rice is more number 6/DM/e450b685e7a8c9787e01ce63af9744f6.jpg*.

So one's a mozzarella and the other is a register? Interesting.....

• Haha 5

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season