Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

10 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

That photo of Paqueta is on his insta from July ffs :lol:

I know :lol: This twitter account has gone above and beyond today

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

xg's ?

i can't really comment too much on how well you'll do although i rate Eddie. you're on the ladder but how long it takes you to climb it i've no idea. 

the scum will always be up there or thereabouts. the money from their fanbase is just too silly for them to slump for long. their new CB looks tiny though.

i would imagine they'll still finish above you but just depends how far they slump and howe quickly you climb.

they are the weak link though. all 3 london clubs look better plus us and the bin dipping victims (can i say that?) should cope with our own transitions without too much worry.

i see what you did there bill hader GIF

I wonder if this ends the Maddison rumour. Surely they won’t need to cash in on him too if they get the £80m for Fofana 

Chelsea have agreed personal terms with 21-year-old France defender Wesley Fofana but have had two bids rejected by Leicester City, who want more than £80m. (Mail) 

If we only signed one more player this window would anyone sacrifice a back up striker it meant we got Maddison or Paqueta? Gamble on Wilson’s fitness and Wood as back up for some extra creativity in midfield?

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

If we only signed one more player this window would anyone sacrifice a back up striker it meant we got Maddison or Paqueta? Gamble on Wilson’s fitness and Wood as back up for some extra creativity in midfield?

I would aye. but...

I also think not getting the two in would represent a disappointing window overall.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We need a right sided attacker more than any of those you mentioned.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

We need a right sided attacker more than any of those you mentioned.

I think centre forward is arguably the one position in most need of upgrading. Once Wilson picks up his inevitable muscle injury we’re fucked for goals. 

Almiron and Fraser clearly aren’t good enough for where we want to be but I’d also be worried if Bruno were to get an injury now Shelvey is out because there is literally zero creativity in the middle without those two. Unless Anderson steps up  

Willock, ASM and Almiron are meant to be the players providing chances for Wilson, and they are all failing miserably. That's not a blip in form, all 3 have flattered to deceive since Howe came to the club.

A blind man on a galloping horse could see that CF, LW, RW, CAM were the positions we needed upgrades in, so it's questionable that we dropped £55mil on a GK, LB and CB first. Reportedly leaving us with about £30mil left to play with and struggling to agree staggered payments or loan deals for any attackers. 

Murphy and Wood are our game changers off the bench atm and if we don't fix that in the next fortnight we will be grinding out a few more 0-0s this season 

• Like 3

Targett - impressed at the club on loan, Howe knows him and that he can do a job and signing him at the end of his loan period for the price we got him for was a no brained. 

Pope - timing was right because of Burnley relegation, price was a steal

Botman - this was their main defensive target. Burn was a stop gap who is the wrong side of 30. We get him now or we might never get him. 

None of those signings are questionable. They all make perfect sense. 

The problem is that we need to strengthen all over the pitch. The order that you do it in is largely irrelevant but the inescapable fact is that it's gonna take time. We'll get some attacking players in, I'm sure. We just can't have everything immediately. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Targett - impressed at the club on loan, Howe knows him and that he can do a job and signing him at the end of his loan period for the price we got him for was a no brained. 

Pope - timing was right because of Burnley relegation, price was a steal

Botman - this was their main defensive target. Burn was a stop gap who is the wrong side of 30. We get him now or we might never get him. 

None of those signings are questionable. They all make perfect sense. 

The problem is that we need to strengthen all over the pitch. The order that you do it in is largely irrelevant but the inescapable fact is that it's gonna take time. We'll get some attacking players in, I'm sure. We just can't have everything immediately. 

That's flawed logic though. The order we upgraded new positions WOULD be irrelevant if we had £500mil to spend and brought in 11 new players this window. When you work to a budget and there are clearly gaps in the squad up front it's common sense to use the money you have to strengthen those positions first, rather than compromise on the likes of Isak, Maddison and Diaby because we don't have enough money left in the pot 

Clearly they have tried to buy in those areas but without success for various reasons not necessarily only due to not offering enough. Most of those you suggest we should have bought wouldn't be interested due to lack of European competition even if we could've agreed fees. 

I am still willing to trust the team to get what they want and need. 

• Like 2

We did the business in the order that it presented itself. The attacking options were looking at are wanted by their clubs or don't want to leave to come here, so it makes things much harder. 

Those deals don't happen early in the window, so your scenario probably leaves us with no signings at this stage of the window. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 2

I think the difference that Pope makes has been a pleasant surprise. Although the opportunity arose, I didn't fully understand it but based on the last two games it makes 100% sense. I think these signings will encourage the attacking options as we are looking an increasing more attractive option. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We did the business in the order that it presented itself. The attacking options were looking at are wanted by their clubs or don't want to leave to come here, so it makes things much harder. 

Those deals don't happen early in the window, so your scenario probably leaves us with no signings at this stage of the window. 

Or minus Botman and plus Maddison...

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season