Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

18 minutes ago, Howay said:

Yeah, I think it’s nice to get background on the player for sure, and Diego obviously knows a lot about the player. But we could level all of that or more at Targett, ask most Villa fans about him even prior to us signing him and it wasn’t glowing reports.

Targett also has never come close to being capped whereas Lodi is competing against Marcelo for caps, if our scouting team and Howe prefer Lodi I’m more than happy with that tbh. I do think there’s a bit of overrating going on with Targett as well by sections of our support, he was dependable but I personally don’t think he was much better than Krafth post January - he was a late loan signing who come in and was solid, but not spectacular. I’d be happy if we signed him and he started for us but as I say if our team rate Lodi higher, which it seems they do as I think they also tried for him in January before loaning Targett, then fingers crossed we can get him. If this was happening under Ashley I’d be gutted and we could safely assume he was looking for a cheaper stop gap, but with this lot we will be looking to improve. 

I think your being it harsh Targett.......I thought we were very weak at LB before he came in but if Howe thinks Lodi is better option fair enough, on the other hand if we sign Targett as first choice I'm also happy with it

• Like 1

I was sceptical of Targett at first and while he was clearly better then the options we had playing leftback earlier in the season, I didn't think he was the kind of upgrade that we were getting with Trippier and Bruno in particular.  And while I would still maintain that he's not at their level, I do think that he's done a very good job for us and wouldn't be at all concerned with keeping him.  I don't think he'll ever be a player who's up to the top six level though.  So if that's what we're aiming for and we've identified Lodi as that player, then I'm happy if that's what we're going for. 

Diego's view of him doesn't fill me with confidence though I must admit.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rosco said:

I think your being it harsh Targett.......I thought we were very weak at LB before he came in but if Howe thinks Lodi is better option fair enough, on the other hand if we sign Targett as first choice I'm also happy with it

I don’t mean to be. I think he’s been solid, dependable, and a good addition in a similar fashion to Burn, I agree with DK that he’s not that Bruno/Trippier type upgrade which is really what I was meaning. I’d be happy if we signed him permanently, but I’d not be disappointed if we didn’t as I don’t think he was first choice in January.

I think we’re going to have to get a bit more used to lads who come in and do well but aren’t part of the team going forward, I’ve felt for a while Targett was going to be that and it looks like it’s leaning that way. Imo we won’t be signing Targett, I just don’t understand why they’d delay taking up the option - would have thought it was a nice send off for the squad if a well liked team mate was rewarded. 

25 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I wonder if Villa have upped the price of Targett since they realised he fits in well and we like him.

They can’t, we have a £15m option (we paid a £2m fee so £13m left to make it permanent).

• Like 1

To resume

I think Lodi can be a good full-back if what we are looking for is a player who attacks a lot. And that he can benefit a lot from playing with someone he knows as Trippier and with Bruno, with whom he really played very well at Athletico Paranaense.

I think Lodi is not worth 40 million euros.

I think that Lodi has the conditions to be a very, very good left back, but today he is not, and I am not sure that he is capable of becoming one because I have not seen him improve in three years and because you see that he always plays very hasty and thinking very little about their actions. He needs a lot of work.

I think that today Lodi is a very acceptable player in attack, but that he has many mistakes in defense.

I would not be convinced of the whole signing because I see it as risky. If he turns out well, we can have a very good winger (and as I said, he is a very good guy, humble, family-oriented, hard-working. I would be very happy if he did well).

Although later you can sign a more proven player who doesn't work (he goes to all levels), I think there are players who could fit better in the team.

To attack, having Trippier and Lodi can be very good. To defend... It's a little problem. Possibly the worst level of him is better than the left backs of 10-12 Premier teams

If Lodi ends up coming, we didn't sign a bad player. But yes to one with many doubts.

Edited by Diego21
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

In my opinion, he is a player who has conditions, but I have many doubts that he can improve. Because in three years I haven't seen him do it.

I, as an Atleti fan, would be happy if it was sold for 30 million euros. Because he really hasn't shown anything in three years. And yes, okay, he is a winger with the Brazilian team, etc etc etc. But at Atleti he doesn't count for the coach because he plays three good games and seven bad ones. And I think there are better options.

And obviously also as a Newcastle fan, I would like there to be another option.

Then you never know. Perhaps at Atleti he has not exploded, but Howe can get the most out of him.

Yesterday I read, I don't remember where, that Howe wants a very deep side and that he attacks a lot. Lodi is that player. He needs to get better at decision making and be more calm. So he maybe he can have room. I already said, I think that with Bruno as a pivot and Joelinton as a midfielder, they can help him a lot in defense. If we buy a left-footed centre-back who is quick and hard-hitting and helps him close his flank, Lodi will be a good fit for sure.

Good stuff, yeah I think the tricky part is we aren’t all 100% sure what way Howe wants to play since he’s kind of adapted to the situation - so your point about perhaps Lodi is more the type of fullback Howe wants is interesting. 

40 minutes ago, Rosco said:

The thing I like about Targett is he came in and improved us straight away. Perhaps not the most scintillating going forward but competent enough and didn’t put a foot wrong. Even Burn, who has been immense, made the odd mistake. Signing a player from abroad with zero PL experience always carries a degree of risk. And I’m slightly concerned by Diego’s review.  

Having said all that, I’m inclined to trust Howe and staff if we end up with Lodi - it shows how expectations have changed that we’re even having this debate about a la liga-winning Brazilian international. 

Can we not sign them both? :lol: 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The thing I like about Targett is he came in and improved us straight away. Perhaps not the most scintillating going forward but competent enough and didn’t put a foot wrong. Even Burn, who has been immense, made the odd mistake. Signing a player from abroad with zero PL experience always carries a degree of risk. And I’m slightly concerned by Diego’s review.  

Having said all that, I’m inclined to trust Howe and staff if we end up with Lodi - it shows how expectations have changed that we’re even having this debate about a la liga-winning Brazilian international. 

Can we not sign them both? :lol: 

To be fair to him he maintains that he only wants to be at a club where he’s the starter, which I respect but means the chances he’d sign if we sign Lodi are very unlikely. 

Edited by Howay

14 minutes ago, Howay said:

They can’t, we have a £15m option (we paid a £2m fee so £13m left to make it permanent).

At £13m it's a no brainer. You'd wonder whether his missus' Instagram post was more about them not being able to agree personal terms.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Already changing what he said

I was just thinking about this again, and I think Edwards is misunderstanding what he is hearing. Two £30m signings do not equal £60m of budget hit for FFP, if we signed a £60m player on a 6 year deal and gave him £100k per week for FFP that fee is spread over the 6 years, so he would be a £15m hit each year - it’s possible that he had heard £60m-£80m is all we can absorb this year for FFP purposes but I think he’s oversimplified what that means by just saying “oh then they can only get two £30m players and that’s the budget gone”.

He’d already shown with his embarrassing takes throughout the takeover process that if he doesn’t understand something he will come out with his best guess and assume that’s fact (I remember there was some filings which happened that he didn’t understand so he just announced it definitely meant it was all bollocks, before people told him it was normal procedures), so while my FFP discussion above definitely isn’t fact I think it’s closer to reality than his assumption that the £60m is a reference to the literal entire fee spent on players. 

• Like 1

If he doesn’t understand it you’d think he’d at least be able to get one of his drinking buddies to take him through the intricacies of FFP

• Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

With the left back noise is it possible Howe is thinking of playing 5 at the back with wingbacks?

Possibly, but it's an area of real weakness for our squad.

3 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

With the left back noise is it possible Howe is thinking of playing 5 at the back with wingbacks?

Could be an option. And if you want get the best of Trippier (and Lodi) is the most interesting choice.

Edited by Diego21

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

£20m is a bit more like it, if true. 

Absolutely agreed, the 40 million originally quoted would've been absurd, this is more modern "adding to the squad" money.

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season