Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I quite like him these days. That video of him dossing about at the Hoppings is the work of a man who knows exactly what to do to get a reaction out of people. That kind of thing has a ceiling but it’ll all be knocked on the head when his parents are sick of paying anyway

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Is he actually getting anywhere with that channel? I'm assuming that his long term angle is to pass some minimum threshold after which the club will kind of acknowledge him and give him access to players/whoever to a higher degree.

But then equally, they seem to be doing a decent job of all that themselves anyway, I've seen a number of player interviews lately, straight from the club itself. Not exactly sure where this kid fits into all of it tbh, at least while he's so focused on the club itself. Maybe he could have some success speaking to younger fans on matchday experiences or whatever but that's about as charitable as I think I can possibly be in terms of his prospects.

He needs a lass tbh. :lol:

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

He needs a lass tbh. :lol:

Or a lad.

C'mon Paddocklad, you're better than this.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Re the new sponsorship deal, I reckon the club have played a blinder by seeing out another year with Fun88. If we have a really strong season, which we should, and our final league position is helped by the compressed season taking a toll on the teams in Europe, we're in a much stronger position to make arguments for our market value having shifted significantly. 

If we'd tried to bring it forward to this close season we'd have shot ourselves right in the foot. 

• Like 4

Edwards is a funny one about the FFP stuff. I think it’s pretty clear he doesn’t understand how it works and has no intention of knowing how it works (see his £60m budget claim before bids for Ektike, Botman, Targett etc made that an impossibility). I’m fairly sure we also bring in more sponsorship, TV, and match day revenue then Villa yet they seem to have no worries whatsoever in terms of spending - and yes they sold Grealish but they spunked more than his fee on fees and wages the month he left. 

I think he just enjoys being boring. 

• Like 3

On 19/05/2022 at 22:59, Craig said:

I think the loan idea is the best way forward. If he rips up trees, make it permanent. I was a GK too but nowhere near your level Strawb. Dubravka scares the fuck out of me TBH. What I've seen of Henderson is fairly impressive although if we were going to break the bank I'd be going for Pope. I think he's the real deal.

I'll take that! :D

3 hours ago, Howay said:

Edwards is a funny one about the FFP stuff. I think it’s pretty clear he doesn’t understand how it works and has no intention of knowing how it works (see his £60m budget claim before bids for Ektike, Botman, Targett etc made that an impossibility). I’m fairly sure we also bring in more sponsorship, TV, and match day revenue then Villa yet they seem to have no worries whatsoever in terms of spending - and yes they sold Grealish but they spunked more than his fee on fees and wages the month he left. 

Yeah, he doesn’t understand it and seems to ignore other clubs taking the piss out if FFP. About the only way he can wind up fans, which still seems to be his fucking bizarre raison d’etre, is by saying we aren’t going to spend much this summer. Yet we’re pursuing Botman and Etikite which would blow his theory out of the water if they signed. Obviously they might choose not to come here but we’re definitely prepared to spend the money 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Tbf to Bob, he's a regular in the guardian comment section - probably the most well known one from our fanbase - and he spends a lot of his time defending the club from all manner of bullshit. I do think he gets himself tied into knots a bit at times but he's put himself into a situation where he's pretty constantly under fire on the clubs behalf.

So I kinda get it. And honestly he knows you're right too I would wager.

Are you apologising for someone else now? :wink2:

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Howay said:

It's not FFP that's limiting our spend, it's strategy.

We could blow our wad this window and spend a couple hundred million without falling foul of FFP. I think it's prudent not to for a couple of reasons.

The kind of spend that would get us into the CL conversation is huge and we're currently unlikely to attract the level of player that would return on that investment immediately. If we were in West Ham's position and 3-4 £50m players would secure CL, it would make sense for us to do it. 

If we splurge big in our first summer window under new ownership, it would set the tone that we're a big spending team and the Newcastle tax would be huge every window, regardless of our league position.

If we spend £200m this window, that would impact FFP down the line unless we pull in huge sponsorship deals.

It's my view that there's a pot we're happy to spend from, but it's more than £60m. I mean, we've already spent £24m on a LB and a 'keeper we're talking about £30m for Botman and similar for Ekitike, so that's £90m. I think if we were to sign those two players and then someone like Paqueta became available at a reasonable price, we'd spend on him too.

• Like 3

still think we might get a centre forward (DCL or similar) on top of ekitike as he might be considered more of a wide forward/occasional or back up CF. and if we fail to get ekitike perhaps it's diaby or someone else. 

i can easily see us spunking north of £100m. good to see us prepared to walk away from deals when agents/clubs try to take the piss though

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It's not FFP that's limiting our spend, it's strategy.

We could blow our wad this window and spend a couple hundred million without falling foul of FFP. I think it's prudent not to for a couple of reasons.

The kind of spend that would get us into the CL conversation is huge and we're currently unlikely to attract the level of player that would return on that investment immediately. If we were in West Ham's position and 3-4 £50m players would secure CL, it would make sense for us to do it. 

If we splurge big in our first summer window under new ownership, it would set the tone that we're a big spending team and the Newcastle tax would be huge every window, regardless of our league position.

If we spend £200m this window, that would impact FFP down the line unless we pull in huge sponsorship deals.

It's my view that there's a pot we're happy to spend from, but it's more than £60m. I mean, we've already spent £24m on a LB and a 'keeper we're talking about £30m for Botman and similar for Ekitike, so that's £90m. I think if we were to sign those two players and then someone like Paqueta became available at a reasonable price, we'd spend on him too.

Exactly this something chicken shagger can't compute 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season