Other Games 22/23

1 hour ago, LondonBlue said:

it was still an all day even in 81 when spurs beat us. first match was 1-1 with city scoring a crazy own goal back header over the keeper. the replay was the ricky villa final. he ran round our defenders like statues. but i still think steve mckenzies half volley from 3 miles out was the best goal of the game.

That's the first final I vaguely remember. 

1 hour ago, MMXXVIII said:

Aye my first memory of cup finals was 87 and I remember my dad had decided Spurs would be the Toon for the day. He celebrated Clive Allen's header like we had scored.

That's the first final I remember too. Carnival atmosphere with both BBC & ITV running full day coverage of it. There was a legends / celebs match on beforehand and that match itself was a brilliant contest. 

Still one of the best FA Cup finals I've ever seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMXXVIII said:

Aye my first memory of cup finals was 87 and I remember my dad had decided Spurs would be the Toon for the day. He celebrated Clive Allen's header like we had scored.

Their opponents in that final were Coventry City. Supposedly they play in sky blue because one of the directors was impressed with Manchester City’s fighting spirit in the 1955 FA Cup Final against you lot despite being a man down for most of the game. There can't be too many English clubs who have inspired another English club to change their colours. I guess had it been the other way around Coventry might be playing in black and white stripes.

We were 1-0 down in the 55 final when one of our defenders was stretchered off about 15-20 minutes in. There were no substitutes back then so we had to play with 10 men but still equalised before you eventually won 3-1.

13 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Their opponents in that final were Coventry City. Supposedly they play in sky blue because one of the directors was impressed with Manchester City’s fighting spirit in the 1955 FA Cup Final against you lot despite being a man down for most of the game. There can't be too many English clubs who have inspired another English club to change their colours. I guess had it been the other way around Coventry might be playing in black and white stripes.

We were 1-0 down in the 55 final when one of our defenders was stretchered off about 15-20 minutes in. There were no substitutes back then so we had to play with 10 men but still equalised before you eventually won 3-1.

Aye, we know. At least I haven't heard as many moans about it unlike the arsenal fans still twisting on about the 'over the line' loss in the 32 final or their ten men sob story in 52 as told by a (I presume) arsenal fan, Charles Charlie Charles on the mic. (Some things never change, he even shows the 32 goal in his 52 cup final highlights reel!) :lol:

10 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Aye, we know. At least I haven't heard as many moans about it unlike the arsenal fans still twisting on about the 'over the line' loss in the 32 final or their ten men sob story in 52 as told by a (I presume) arsenal fan, Charles Charlie Charles on the mic. (Some things never change, he even shows the 32 goal in his 52 cup final highlights reel!) :lol:

Hearing The Blaydon Races there sent shivers. After that I just thought of Harry Enfield. 

• Haha 1

How fucking depressing is it that the highlight reel of our penultimate domestic success is accompanied by the trumpeting sound of Movietone BTW?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Alex said:

The first cup final I can remember missing ( had a Saturday job at the Benton Hypermarket, as was) was 91 when Gazza did his cruciate. Throughout the 80s it was still a massive deal. Used to often watch it at Heaton Stannington. They used to have a friendly / charity game in at lunchtime. The dusty old club house with curtains drawn would be fucking packed and everybody seemed to taking a massive interest in it. Celebrating the goal(s) of who they wanted to win almost like it was Newcastle playing (which it never was of course). Also it was de rigueur to cheer as though a goal had been scored when someone came back into the room after going for a piss during the match at least once during the afternoon. Just to see them rush back in front of the telly to see who’d scored. 

The whole cup final day was an event back in the 80s and early 80s. We’d start watching the coverage in rhe morning, following the team buses as they’d arrive at Wembley and the players would rock up in their ill-fitting suits. It’s lost that magic. Sad really but it’s all about the cash money. 

• Like 3

He'll be his generations Steve Bruce. Nailed on. His mates in the media will get him jobs for decades. I'm hoping for one purple patch and some good timing which gets him the Liverpool job in the services of everyone's amusement before it's over. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, toonotl said:

He'll be his generations Steve Bruce. Nailed on. His mates in the media will get him jobs for decades. I'm hoping for one purple patch and some good timing which gets him the Liverpool job in the services of everyone's amusement before it's over. 

Him, Rooney and Lampard. 

It's almost like simply being really good at football isn't a guarantee of being much cop at managing.

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Him, Rooney and Lampard. 

It's almost like simply being really good at football isn't a guarantee of being much cop at managing.

I think lumping Rooney into that is slightly harsh.  He managed Derby under extremely tight constraints and did quite a decent job.

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I think lumping Rooney into that is slightly harsh.  He managed Derby under extremely tight constraints and did quite a decent job.

I said what I meant and I meant what I said.

• Haha 3

On 04/10/2022 at 03:28, The Fish said:

Although, to be fair, Nottingham Forest are a mess. Had he been added to a normal PL side, he may have done better. As it is, they've 22 new players and not a very good manager to try and corral them in the same direction. 

George Syrianos and Andy Scott have now been sacked.   :D

• Haha 1