o'neil's salubrious playground of the dorset uber wealthy v howe's scally infested coop of decapitated fowl

thebrokendoll

28 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

Just teach the lanky cunts to head it down ffs

Something for wor flags to pop on some banners.

• Haha 8

Re the formation, all I know is that keeping Isak on the bench til the 70th minute can't continue for much longer. I don't know where you play him if you're not gonna drop Wilson, but he needs to be starting games sharpish. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

I would much prefer he starts Gordon, but if he does start Maxi then they must play to his strengths.

He must get good balls to run onto and we have to be much faster changing from right to left. When he plays really well it’s a percentage game with him and his style of attack. For every 5 dribbles, 1 or 2 will work or get a free kick 3 or 4 will not. Burn needs to be much better supporting him going forward.

If we don’t play to his strengths he’s too isolated to get into the game and it’s a waste of time.

It would be lovely for all involved if he has a good game and we get back on the winning trail.

Is getting forward balls to run onto Maxi's strength?  For me one of the biggest problems, and I certainly noticed this on Saturday, is that he always seems to want the ball to feet so he can beat 3 players before he gets a shot/cross in.  And that's one of a few reasons he's not fitting in with the way we play any more.  I do think he's trying to do the tracking back and pressing but for every time he remembers to do it, there's at least one more where he forgets.  It's just not his game and to be fair to him, I think it's actually taking away from what can offer.  There's absolutely no way we'd sign him now though, and it is a shame really because when we were dogshit, he was really all we had to look forward to.

I'd certainly go with Gordon on Saturday, he imediately looked more comfortable with the role than Maxi.  My concern would be that if we do drop Maxi, he goes in a huff and we're a player down for the rest of the season.  After that it won't matter because I don't see any chance of him being here next season.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Re the formation, all I know is that keeping Isak on the bench til the 70th minute can't continue for much longer. I don't know where you play him if you're not gonna drop Wilson, but he needs to be starting games sharpish. 

I'd play him off Wilson, a 4-2-3-1. With Gordon on the left we'll have plenty of defensive solidity and attacking threat too.

55 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye, you can’t have £100m+ on the bench and £4.75 with a wank mag on the pitch.  

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'd play him off Wilson, a 4-2-3-1. With Gordon on the left we'll have plenty of defensive solidity and attacking threat too.

I’ve seen that mooted elsewhere ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

My understanding is that if he’s not playing centre forward he plays on the left :cuppa:

I was just going to say that I think he might’ve started there on Saturday but for the concussion v Forest. That said he looks like he’d be comfortable as a number 10. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

I don't think he'll go with ASM again from the start, but I'm not sure he'll start Gordon either. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes with Murphy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig said:

I don't think he'll go with ASM again from the start, but I'm not sure he'll start Gordon either. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes with Murphy.

I expect he'll give ASM another chance against Bournemouth, and slowly introduce Gordon, as he has done with most of the new signings. 

2 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Is getting forward balls to run onto Maxi's strength?  For me one of the biggest problems, and I certainly noticed this on Saturday, is that he always seems to want the ball to feet so he can beat 3 players before he gets a shot/cross in.  And that's one of a few reasons he's not fitting in with the way we play any more.  I do think he's trying to do the tracking back and pressing but for every time he remembers to do it, there's at least one more where he forgets.  It's just not his game and to be fair to him, I think it's actually taking away from what can offer.  There's absolutely no way we'd sign him now though, and it is a shame really because when we were dogshit, he was really all we had to look forward to.

I'd certainly go with Gordon on Saturday, he imediately looked more comfortable with the role than Maxi.  My concern would be that if we do drop Maxi, he goes in a huff and we're a player down for the rest of the season.  After that it won't matter because I don't see any chance of him being here next season.

Agreed. I’ve felt for ages that it’s a question for Maxi applying himself - and that should be the easy bit because you can’t coach the natural skill he has on the ball where pressing, tracking and positioning can all be taught.

But maybe he just doesn’t have the football brain to do it in Howe’s system. Because I agree he has looked like he had been trying to do the defensive work in his recent cameos off the bench. I don’t know what the fuck he was doing on Saturday mind. He seemed well off the pace and just on a different wavelength to his teammates.

Feels like a massive week or two for his Newcastle career. He needs to start showing he can listen to Howe’s instructions sharpish or I agree he probably is away in the summer.  

Big test of Howe’s coaching credentials. He deserves massive credit for the way he got a tune out Joelinton, Schar, Lomgstaff, Krafth et al.

Can he do it with Maxi?

We're on a wobble at the moment all teams have one but we're not losing and still grinding out results,I'd play Isak and Gordon at Bournmouth to freshen things up a bit for a 3-0 win.Then home to Liverpool last game before the final give them a good hiding (hopefully Klopp will still be there) then have this blasting out the PA system to get everybody right up for it

• Haha 1

On 06/02/2023 at 16:42, Rosco said:

We're on a wobble at the moment all teams have one but we're not losing and still grinding out results,I'd play Isak and Gordon at Bournmouth to freshen things up a bit for a 3-0 win.Then home to Liverpool last game before the final give them a good hiding (hopefully Klopp will still be there) then have this blasting out the PA system to get everybody right up for it

Is this your work Rosco?

Cos if it isn't, then I'm sorry but it's absolutely the worst fucking thing I've heard. Worse than foxes fucking. 

If it is your work, then it is absolutely the worst fucking thing I've heard. Worse than foxes fucking. And I'm not sorry. 

• Haha 5