Eddie Howe’s Huge Sausage Mags vs Allardyce’s Pint of Gravy Yorkshire Cunts 13/05/23 12:30pm

strawb

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

We cannot start Isak and Wilson.  But with Longy out, its either start Isak and then ASM or Gordon.

ASM doesn't deserve a start and Gordon neither.  The latter still learning and working his way in Howe's system. 

I think you can play Wilson and Isak but not really in 4-3-3 with our current personnel. Isak as a 10 with Wilson as the CF has potential. The other thing is strike partnerships need time to build up an understanding and they haven’t played together much. I would be sacking the idea off for the rest of the season though

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m not sure what murphy did today to not get any minutes on the pitch. He’s been in good form 

He had a groin strain according to Howe. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think you can play Wilson and Isak but not really in 4-3-3 with our current personnel. Isak as a 10 with Wilson as the CF has potential. The other thing is strike partnerships need time to build up an understanding and they haven’t played together much. I would be sacking the idea off for the rest of the season though

Agreed. The other thing is playing them together limits our options from the bench. I'm not a fan but would be interested to see if it would work with Isak playing centrally with Wilson but slightly deeper.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

"I'm struggling to make sense of it all.

"It was their first attack, we started well. The first attack they get they score. We hadn't created clear-cut chances. 

"I thought we played well at times today without hitting our best form and we were rushed around the box. 

"The character to come back is a huge positive: the way Wilson took his two penalties was outstanding. The second one is the most difficult, there are a lot of mind games and lot of time to take the penalty."

On the fan incident:

"That was a real surprise. I was concentrating on the game. It was the last thing you think could happen.

"I can’t repeat what he said but it makes you think ‘what if’. Nobody should have to feel their personal safety is violated when trying to entertain the country.”

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

totally. We looked way better after Isak moved inside 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Perolsonally I thought both ASM and Gordon did okay considering the very limited time they had. If we had played 10 minutes longer, I think we'd have won. I don't get the hate at all. 

I’m not writing Gordon off yet but has he done a single positive thing in the time he’s been here?

I was sceptical of his signing to begin with and still don’t understand what he offers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I had the misfortune of having to stream this arseholes coverage for a while and he was on about it the whole time. It clearly touched his hand. They need to bloody fix a lot of the ridiculous rules these days but there was nothing complicated about this one.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, aimaad22 said:

I had the misfortune of having to stream this arseholes coverage for a while and he was on about it the whole time. It clearly touched his hand. They need to bloody fix a lot of the ridiculous rules these days but there was nothing complicated about this one.

He’s not someone you’d expect to know about keeping your hands in the right places , is he? 

Because he fucked his daughter’s best mate whilst his wife was having treatment for cancer. 

• Haha 3

I still can't believe we needed two penalties and a saved penalty just to get a draw against Leeds. That's our worst performance of the season for me, marginally worse than Villa, which was our worst performance to that point. Away from home we're looking clueless and tired, and I think it's the pressure which seems to be getting to us finally as the possibility of a CL spot has become all too real for some of our players.

I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool end on 71 points. With the officials behaving the way they do I actually fully expect Liverpool to win their remaining fixtures. And I expect ManU to win theirs for similar reasons. Add to that that I don't like our chances going to Chelsea last day needing a result. Not with everything on the line with a team that is showing signs of struggling under the pressure of everything. Our players have been brilliant this year and since Howe took charge really. But the pressure is now at its greatest and the signs are there that they're wilting under the pressure. (Plus, we'll likely get a refereeing performance like we got today away at Chelsea.)

I don't put my absolute faith in the stock of the percentage predictor here either. It doesn't consider pressure and experience, does it? We have a manager who is new to this end of the table and a squad that is likewise with very few exceptions. Then there's VAR and the refs to contend with which the percentage predictor also doesn't consider. It also doesn't consider the "consequences" of Liverpool missing CL football. The fact that Klopp can explicitly call the ref a cheat in a game that they won and do so with complete impunity is proof positive that Liverpool demand and receive special treatment.

There's a strong possibility that the next two games decide the CL spot. Call me bed-wetter if you must. I'm obviously not saying that missing CL is a disaster. To finish 5th would still an amazing season. But 4th puts us so far ahead of schedule in terms of FPP restrictions and possibilities to attract a tier of player that previously we've only got under special circumstances. A CL spot is the biggest moment since the takeover if it happens. Anyway, I'm properly in a mood this morning. That performance was terrible against the newly anointed worst team in the division. For me, it doesn't bode well.

We need 6 points for CL and I think we need them in the next two matches.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, toonotl said:

I still can't believe we needed two penalties and a saved penalty just to get a draw against Leeds. That's our worst performance of the season for me, marginally worse than Villa, which was our worst performance to that point. Away from home we're looking clueless and tired, and I think it's the pressure which seems to be getting to us finally as the possibility of a CL spot has become all too real for some of our players.

I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool end on 71 points. With the officials behaving the way they do I actually fully expect Liverpool to win their remaining fixtures. And I expect ManU to win theirs for similar reasons. Add to that that I don't like our chances going to Chelsea last day needing a result. Not with everything on the line with a team that is showing signs of struggling under the pressure of everything. Our players have been brilliant this year and since Howe took charge really. But the pressure is now at its greatest and the signs are there that they're wilting under the pressure. (Plus, we'll likely get a refereeing performance like we got today away at Chelsea.)

I don't put my absolute faith in the stock of the percentage predictor here either. It doesn't consider pressure and experience, does it? We have a manager who is new to this end of the table and a squad that is likewise with very few exceptions. Then there's VAR and the refs to contend with which the percentage predictor also doesn't consider. It also doesn't consider the "consequences" of Liverpool missing CL football. The fact that Klopp can explicitly call the ref a cheat in a game that they won and do so with complete impunity is proof positive that Liverpool demand and receive special treatment.

There's a strong possibility that the next two games decide the CL spot. Call me bed-wetter if you must. I'm obviously not saying that missing CL is a disaster. To finish 5th would still an amazing season. But 4th puts us so far ahead of schedule in terms of FPP restrictions and possibilities to attract a tier of player that previously we've only got under special circumstances. A CL spot is the biggest moment since the takeover if it happens. Anyway, I'm properly in a mood this morning. That performance was terrible against the newly anointed worst team in the division. For me, it doesn't bode well.

a win and two draws is probably enough 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Whilst that’s all valid, the very fact that we’re in the position to even have to be concerned about a losing CL place is outrageous, considering how woefully underfunded we’ve been before the takeover. 
The performance, not just from the playing and coaching staff, which has been verging on miraculous for most of the season, but also the of the administrative side of the club, to re-engage an (understandably) disillusioned fan base is nothing short of ridiculous. 

I still think we’ll retain a CL spot, tbh. 
I simply can’t see Howe and co. allowing us to slip out of it. 

But, if we do, it’s not the end of the world-it’ll be annoying, aye, but our lowest mathematically possible finish now is still way ahead of where anyone, Eddie included I’d imagine, could’ve possibly expected at the start of the season. 

I’ll say again, though, I absolutely think we’ll qualify for the CL, and we’ll have done it in some style. 

giphy.webp

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah it was poor but not anything near as bad as Villa that performance me thinks. We're managing injuries with a limited squad, losing someone like Longstaff has had a significant impact. Plus the players must be running on fumes with the way we've played the whole season. It seems to have taken a toll on Bruno and Joe especially. Not a great performance but a decent result to a team away fighting for their lives. 

We just need a massive push now for the last 2 home games. Players needs to find that last ounce of energy and fight from somewhere and get over the finish line. It has been a near miraculous season, we've been top 4 for most of it, which is why losing it now would hurt but it's a fantastic effort from everyone at the club nonetheless. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

He’s not someone you’d expect to know about keeping your hands in the right places , is he? 

Because he fucked his daughter’s best mate whilst his wife was having treatment for cancer. 

Aye talk about scum of the earth. He's also another one who will be particularly riled by what we are becoming, you can already feel the fewm when he talks about NUFC. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, toonotl said:

That's our worst performance of the season for me, marginally worse than Villa, which was our worst performance to that point.

This is patent nonsense though. We were better all over the pitch than Leeds, who booted us off the pitch ending up with 10 men. Twice their possession. Twice thwir shots. Their equaliser was a fluke. Take away that, we would have won by the same margin that Man City did last week except we were playing at Elland Road. Villa was much, much worse and we bounced back from that in style.

We'll see what happens but personally I'm confident.

Screenshot_20230514_003345_Scores.thumb.jpg.f3f6109905e665de4a088e62be17a1f2.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, toonotl said:

Having just had a fucking rotten night's sleep as a result of that game that's pretty much my view, although I concede later points about possession and luck. 

If Gordon had made that pass to Isaak 2 seconds earlier we would have would've won, so small margins. 

However, we should've been good enough. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Leeds should be docked points 

Absolutely agree. Something like that is totally unacceptable. Their security team were too busy watching the game and half asleep. 

9 hours ago, Renton said:

This is patent nonsense though. We were better all over the pitch than Leeds, who booted us off the pitch ending up with 10 men. Twice their possession. Twice thwir shots.

I stand by it. It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I think given the context of the quality of the opposition that yesterday was worse than the Villa performance. Leeds were absolutely shocking and utterly confused tactically. It was palpable that they had no idea what their gameplan was other than to kick seven shades of shit out of us (which they shouldn't have got away with, but the weakness of the ref is a whole other story). Anyway, despite how completely abject Leeds were, we were roughly equal to them in my opinion. For me that's worse than the Villa performance. Against them we were simply outplayed. And it came as an aberration against a form side. Yesterday, we knew what we were going to get and we didn't respond to it. Not even close. We created nothing and were gifted two penalties and miraculously saved one. Without those gifts we lose 2-0 to Leeds. Villa, on the other hand, are a decent team, who were on top form, and are well coached. Leeds are none of that. They are, in fact, the complete opposite.

As for nonsense, the fact you've taken recourse to possession as the first attempt to make a point is kinda funny. It's against a Sam Allardyce coached side, Renners. ManC had 5x their possession in the first half last week. If we're limiting the discussion to possession as some indicator of the quality of the performance, then 2x is actually pretty dogshit by comparison. Anway, I could go on, but it ought to be clear that it's a bit meaningless to discuss raw possession statistics. I'll say though that I believe that thinking possession is indicative of the quality of a performance in this context is patent nonsense. I know at least one hippo-headed twat who would take great joy from your contention that we weren't that bad because we had twice his team's possession. That's the type of view that vindicates Fat Sam's self-promotion as a manager with nous and effective methods in his world-shattering recognition that possession isn't everything. It would, at least, if it were still the early 2000s.

Anyway, I'm still confident as well that we'll do the business at home. But I think the point of difference is that I also think we'll need to in order to get top 4.

The team needs to be at its absolute best for the remaining three games because there's every chance that we'll need 6 points. For context, 6 points from 3 games is above our season average. It's not a fait accompli by any means. If we play like we did yesterday, then we won't make it. Things need to improve. I'm confident they will. Two home games with the best support in the world behind them will get us over the line.

24 minutes ago, toonotl said:

I stand by it. It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I think given the context of the quality of the opposition that yesterday was worse than the Villa performance. Leeds were absolutely shocking and utterly confused tactically. It was palpable that they had no idea what their gameplan was other than to kick seven shades of shit out of us (which they shouldn't have got away with, but the weakness of the ref is a whole other story). Anyway, despite how completely abject Leeds were, we were roughly equal to them in my opinion. For me that's worse than the Villa performance. Against them we were simply outplayed. And it came as an aberration against a form side. Yesterday, we knew what we were going to get and we didn't respond to it. Not even close. We created nothing and were gifted two penalties and miraculously saved one. Without those gifts we lose 2-0 to Leeds. Villa, on the other hand, are a decent team, who were on top form, and are well coached. Leeds are none of that. They are, in fact, the complete opposite.

As for nonsense, the fact you've taken recourse to possession as the first attempt to make a point is kinda funny. It's against a Sam Allardyce coached side, Renners. ManC had 5x their possession in the first half last week. If we're limiting the discussion to possession as some indicator of the quality of the performance, then 2x is actually pretty dogshit by comparison. Anway, I could go on, but it ought to be clear that it's a bit meaningless to discuss raw possession statistics. I'll say though that I believe that thinking possession is indicative of the quality of a performance in this context is patent nonsense. I know at least one hippo-headed twat who would take great joy from your contention that we weren't that bad because we had twice his team's possession. That's the type of view that vindicates Fat Sam's self-promotion as a manager with nous and effective methods in his world-shattering recognition that possession isn't everything. It would, at least, if it were still the early 2000s.

Anyway, I'm still confident as well that we'll do the business at home. But I think the point of difference is that I also think we'll need to in order to get top 4.

The team needs to be at its absolute best for the remaining three games because there's every chance that we'll need 6 points. For context, 6 points from 3 games is above our season average. It's not a fait accompli by any means. If we play like we did yesterday, then we won't make it. Things need to improve. I'm confident they will. Two home games with the best support in the world behind them will get us over the line.

Not just possession. Twice as many shots. More shots on target. More successful passes. I'm not an xG man but reckon we'd beat them on that too. It was an absolute bear pit, and but for a fluke goal we would have won. Wilson had an excellent chance but his foot was clipped just at the wrong time. I tlhink ewerk mentioned Gordon doing fuck all. He was in on goal and taken down just outside the box. Trippier should have done better with the free kick. We had an offside goal disallowed during a period of utter dominance imo. People taking their penalty which was a world class save by Pope as a negative ffs! Odd way of thinking iyam. 

Yes, it's all opinions but I just can't understand the negativity about this performance at all. A point away in these circumstances is not the end of the world. I wonder, if that ball that ricocheted off Trippier had not hit the net, would you feel like this? 

As for average points from the next few games, howay, have you applied that logic to ManU or Liverpool? Have you adjusted for home games? Have you adjusted for top 5 teams etc? Possession stats don't tell the whole story of course but they do give you some information on how a game was played. I'd suggest that quoting average points gained over an arbitrary three game period is a lot more of a nonsense than anything I've said.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

We really have to sort out our corners and free kicks btw, the fucking amount of them we had that game and we didn’t even threaten from any of them. At this point we’d be better off treating them like a throw in and just restarting the game rather than having everyone go up into the box, it’s mental how ineffective they are for us given the size of our side. 

• Like 4