Women's World Cup

RobinRobin

I can understand why so many countries don't want England to do well, after all our horrible imperialism.

Not like Spain, of course.

Sean Connery Drinks GIF by James Bond 007

• Haha 7

Thought I’d watch this but I’ve instead 

a. Avoided going on a call out to fix a broken chiller in FUCKING BRISTOL 2.5 BASTARD HOURS AWAY WTF DO YOU THINK I AM, SOME SORT OF MONKEYS FIST STYLE TRUCKER DUDE?? 😡 (this is a brief summary of what I said,  I’ve got to go to a planned meeting in Bristol at our head office tomorrow. I think I may be invited into the contract manager’s office for a “meeting without coffee”) :lol: 

b. Strimmed the garden 🪴 

I really don’t think the women’s game is for me. I’m just not fuckin interested in it. It’s got a reasonable skill level and the players are obviously well coached but I just can’t get into it. I think it’s the over hyping of the whole thing by the media. Sports media as a whole is pissing me off . There should be a fuckin cull in that too. Anyway, they got beat so the earnest equivalency botherers will STFU after a few days thank fuck :cuppa:

• Like 3

Well I'm in the dog house with Mrs Rents now for expressing an opinion. I think that opinion was "this is shite". Tbf I say the same about England's men. Lower standard than top club football imo and fuck off with the nationalist jingoistic shite man. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Father in law is total fewm :lol:   Family WhatsApp 'Cheating bent Yankee loving the spicks' :lol: Didn't reply to my 'Aye but Spain deserved it really' :lol: 

Sounds like you and Gemmill share the same inlaws, which are Fish's family.

• Haha 4

Best team won. The ref lost control a bit and basically let Spain spoil from the missed penalty until the final whistle. It was a penalty too but the VAR check took a ridiculous amount of time imo. But England created very little. 

• Like 2

That is fucked up. So the poor woman scores the winning goal for her country in a world cup final, she's a national hero, and her memory of that moment of triumph will now be bittersweet forever.

I know it's random chance but that is honestly fucked up.

Didn't watch it. One of my daughter's asked last night when I was three sheets to the wind if I thought England would win and said "I hope not".  She went on to quiz me "why wouldn't you want them to win?" and now I'm concerned that answering "because that would make me sexist" might not have been my finest moment as a parent.

For context, we're Scottish. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

She went on to quiz me "why wouldn't you want them to win?" and now I'm concerned that answering "because that would make me sexist" might not have been my finest moment as a parent.

That's poor luck Blastronaut because the simple and correct answer would have merely been, "even the English don't care."

It's been good for here as the host because it has shown that football can be bigger that it currently is and it's also fortunate that the women's team is more competitive than the men's.

For those that think women's football isn't as good as men's, I'd argue even though it's the same sport, it's a totally different game. Some of the challenges women get away with would be instant red cards in the men's game and I don't think I saw much given for shirt pulling let alone some of the rugby tackles!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rayvin said:

That is fucked up. So the poor woman scores the winning goal for her country in a world cup final, she's a national hero, and her memory of that moment of triumph will now be bittersweet forever.

I know it's random chance but that is honestly fucked up.

It's even sadder that she scored the goal... And she dedicated it to the mother of a friend who had passed away a couple of days ago... Not knowing that her father had died hours before.

In other words, being able to dedicate the goal of her life to her father, she did it for the mother of a friend.

olga-carmona-celebra-su-gol-mostrando-un-nombre-en-la-camiseta-que-llevaba-debajo.jpeg.9a98290a0fc9e30fa11fe583218aa30f.jpeg

• Sad 3

This reminds me of what happened at the 2006 Basketball World Cup in Japan.

Spain reached its first final of its life against Greece (which had eliminated the USA from Lebron, Carmelo, Bosh, Wade, Paul, Howard, Joe Johnson...

The night before the final, the father of the Spain coach died. Nobody knew. Only him. He did not tell the players or anyone on the coaching staff (only his assistant).

Spain swept Greece in the final and everyone realized that the coach seemed to be in another world. Then the news broke.

• Like 3