Other Games 23/24

Ayatollah Hermione

Aye intent is irrelevant these days apparently.

He was just trying to get his body in the way of the ball. Very unlucky but he could have done some serious damage so red should stand.

Things also look ten times worse slowed down so I do feel for him. Did the ref even give a free kick at the time ?

48 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

that’s not the rule though is it. You can definitely call it dangerous play because the bloke was lucky to escape without a broken leg 

So putting your foot on the ground is a red card now?

Fucking games gone.

Former Manchester United defender Steve Bruce speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live: "I can feel for Rashford, I can feel for Manchester United and any supporters because for me [Rashford's challenge] is not intentional.

"He doesn’t even look at the player and usually when someone is going to do something intentional you have to look to see where he is. He’s gone to protect the ball and every footballer or amateur footballer out there will understand he’s doing what a striker should do and putting his body in front of the ball to protect the ball. Unfortunately he has caught the kid on the ankle.

"This is football, this happens. It’s a contact sport, it always has been. Then we talk about decisions and go into the hideous VAR issues which again we’re talking about and we’re talking about that far too often.

Fair enough, stonewall red card.

• Haha 7

25 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye intent is irrelevant these days apparently.

Aye intent is irrelevant but surely if it's accidental that should be taken into account? It's like it two opposing players go for a header and there's a clash of heads should both be sent off?

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye intent is irrelevant but surely if it's accidental that should be taken into account? It's like it two opposing players go for a header and there's a clash of heads should both be sent off?

I take your point.

If a player closes their eyes and goes windmilling down the pitch  - is that a sending off if he connects with someone ?

Havertz knew what he was doing with the challenge on Longstaff.  He came flying in from a decent range.  Rashford moves with seconds and lands on the kids ankle.  If anything the Havertz challenge is more red.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Havertz knew what he was doing with the challenge on Longstaff.  He came flying in from a decent range.  Rashford moves with seconds and lands on the kids ankle.  If anything the Havertz challenge is more red.

Yeah, I was going to reference this as well. I really do wish we just got rid of VAR though. Football would be so much more fun.

Havertz is a red. A little tough on Rashford, but do you normally bring your foot down with such force when protecting the ball? No. He lunged out to draw the contact after he saw the defender coming. Because he was doing it so quickly and forcefully his foot came down hard on the opposing player, hence the red. If he was only protecting the ball with his body it wouldn't have been with such force.

The comedic timing on the Bulgarian referee. Brilliant. Awards the goal. Reviewed. Can't hear anything in his earpiece. Only picking up a strange high-pitched static whining sound. Figures, fuck it, it's clearly a goal. Awards the goal. Review continues as players prepare to kickoff. Referee called to touchline for VAR check. Guess it's a handball? Static whining sound intensifies. Disallowed. :lol: 

Who says eastern Europeans don't have a sense of humour? :lol: 

• Haha 4