Other Games 23/24

Ayatollah Hermione

1 hour ago, Renton said:
👇 Correct.

i reckon var should only call offside if you about a yard offside. otherwise it should be down to the linesman. there will still be the odd daft one. but no rulers.

hopefully the semi automated var makes it a shit load better,

The thing with the offside rule, is that no variation of it actually changes anything that we all hate about the offside rule.

in line - ok so a millimeter out of line and you're offside
daylight - ok so a millimeter of daylight and you're offside

a yard off - ok so one yard and one millimeter and you're offside

Everyones variation is just moving the margin because there has to be some point where you're off vs not off.

VARs shifted the debate to shit about the lines and whatnot but we still spent 50% of every match of the day or whatever moaning about marginal offsides before VAR, nothings actually changed.

The number of cameras at the top level of the game now ensures that we are trapped in this endless debate forever.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

The thing with the offside rule, is that no variation of it actually changes anything that we all hate about the offside rule.

in line - ok so a millimeter out of line and you're offside
daylight - ok so a millimeter of daylight and you're offside

a yard off - ok so one yard and one millimeter and you're offside

Everyones variation is just moving the margin because there has to be some point where you're off vs not off.

VARs shifted the debate to shit about the lines and whatnot but we still spent 50% of every match of the day or whatever moaning about marginal offsides before VAR, nothings actually changed.

The number of cameras at the top level of the game now ensures that we are trapped in this endless debate forever.

I don't think anyone will complain with any justification if there is a clear advantage to the attacking player being ahead of defenders. I'm sure they will still complain but there will be no validity to it. There should be an allowable margin of error considering that they also need to identify the moment the ball was released to determine when to draw the line. That's my biggest contention. So for example if there is less than 150mm* between attacker and the second to last defender at the determined moment then allow the goal to stand. If it's 151mm and you're still complaining then you need a new hobby.

* - Or if you really want to be generous 300mm

Edited by OTF
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OTF said:

I don't think anyone will complain with any justification if there is a clear advantage to the attacking player being ahead of defenders. I'm sure they will still complain but there will be no validity to it. There should be an allowable margin of error considering that they also need to identify the moment the ball was released to determine when to draw the line. That's my biggest contention. So for example if there is less than 150mm* between attacker and the second to last defender at the determined moment then allow the goal to stand. If it's 151mm and you're still complaining then you need a new hobby.

* - Or if you really want to be generous 300mm

I don't disagree but that is still all that is happening right now, unless the critical margin is kept secret from all but the VARs or the machine determining who is off and on then we'll keep having this conversation.

For it to stop its not about what the gap is, or when the line is considered the rule has to have a wholesale change.

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

I don't disagree but that is still all that is happening right now, unless the critical margin is kept secret from all but the VARs or the machine determining who is off and on then we'll keep having this conversation.

For it to stop its not about what the gap is, or when the line is considered the rule has to have a wholesale change.

For sure people will still complain but now the complaint is that they're not offside because their toenail was in front of the second to last defender. This would take that understandable complaint out of the reckoning. It would br their whole boot that would be infront. Where it can still be confusing is when they consider the shoulder and head. Make the rule relate to feet as this is how players move... if your head and/or shoulder is in front of the defender but your feet are behind theirs (or in the allowable zone) then that's fine. 

The rule should be that if the goal is clearly fucking hilarious, then VAR isn't allowed to intervene. Use yesterday's goal as the test case. 

If they’ve got to draw lines, forget it, that’s onside IMO. It’s about entertainment/goals at the end of the day.

• Like 5

Use the AI like the CL or bin it tbh. It’s genuinely ruining football in general as well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toonpack said:

If they’ve got to draw lines, forget it, that’s onside IMO. It’s about entertainment/goals at the end of the day.

Bingo, if you need a computer to prove it’s offside then it’s fucking onside IMO.

I personally think clear daylight between players is a fair measure, however even that is open to interpretation, because it could be a leg or the torso or a head in front creating daylight between the players and some don’t even give an advantage really.

• Like 1

Offside law is to prevent an unfair advantage. 

When you're getting into millimetres it's not really a strong case that the attacker had an unfair advantage. Daylight is an unfair advantage and not from the torso, the shoulder or the knees. It should be trailing foot Vs leading foot. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

If VAR didn’t exist the lino would have flagged because it was Man U

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dazzler said:

Bingo, if you need a computer to prove it’s offside then it’s fucking onside IMO.

I personally think clear daylight between players is a fair measure, however even that is open to interpretation, because it could be a leg or the torso or a head in front creating daylight between the players and some don’t even give an advantage really.

Problem then is the argument just shifts to whether the bloke really needed to draw the lines or whether it was obvious with the naked eye. 

I think you could see that that bloke yesterday was offside before the line was even drawn. But then maybe that's just an argument for making me the universal VAR overlord. 

Absolutely detestable pricks. From the manager to most of their players. Fernandes and Antony is particular.

Their downfall must continue, no other club on the planet deserves to be dragged through the mud as much as these arseholes. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

CALCIO KLAXON @Howmanheyman #ciaomanheyman what shift are you on?… 

IMG_4326.jpeg

I'm trying to fix my dodgy TV fire stick at the minute, not on any shift, I left last week. :good:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Youve left the new graft? 😮

Yep. I did put it in the general chat part. I held my nose signing the online contract as there was a couple of things I wasn't happy about but decided you can't have everything then got there and found out there was a couple of extra things not in the contract such as unpaid, compulsory Saturday blob, plus unpaid breaks which meant I owed THEM time. Plus no Friday drinkies with mates and finishing N/S on Saturday morning instead of Friday. Clocking in and out for breaks, having to get changed every time you did. Fuck that. I've copied my letter to the company as well as printed off my contract to show the dole when they try it on. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Jaysus... 2

5 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Yep. I did put it in the general chat part. I held my nose signing the online contract as there was a couple of things I wasn't happy about but decided you can't have everything then got there and found out there was a couple of extra things not in the contract such as unpaid, compulsory Saturday blob, plus unpaid breaks which meant I owed THEM time. Plus no Friday drinkies with mates and finishing N/S on Saturday morning instead of Friday. Clocking in and out for breaks, having to get changed every time you did. Fuck that. I've copied my letter to the company as well as printed off my contract to show the dole when they try it on. 

You did the right thing IMO. I glad you told them to stick it.

Don't know who that firm is but they sound like a crap place to work ..unpaid , compulsory overtime FFS ! 

Hope you get a new and better job asap.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

You did the right thing IMO. I glad you told them to stick it.

Don't know who that firm is but they sound like a crap place to work ..unpaid , compulsory overtime FFS ! 

Hope you get a new and better job asap.

The blob was paying them back the supposed owed time and building up lieu time. So you went to work on a Saturday, got single lieu time back to take when nobody else was off during the week. Nah. Big nah. 

• Like 4