Ed Harrisons Newcastle United Blog

TheTacoTaker

Is this thread worthy of the Gold section?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was talking to my Dad last night. I knew he knew the fella who did the NUFC blog as he’d mentioned it ages ago. My dad would read the blog from time to time and had seen the recent post announcing it was closing down. Anyway, it turns out they lived close to each other in Walker and were in the same class at high school (Heaton Tech as was). They both played for Newcastle Boys for several seasons. My dad was a centre half and said that Ed Harrison was an excellent ‘fearless’ goalkeeper. Ed played in a trial match for England schoolboys so he must’ve been pretty decent. 
My dad said Ed did a degree at King’s College London, before doing a masters up here. And he must’ve subsequently got a doctorate. That would’ve been highly unusual for a working class lad from Walker back then when hardly anyone would’ve stayed on beyond 16, let alone go to uni. 
Their paths crossed a bit through the years as my dad had various jobs in IT and Ed ended up working for IBM, which saw him move to North Carolina, where he is now. My dad reckons Ed is a lovely fella. 
Anyway, sorry for the boring, humourless story with no swearing ;) 

• Like 20

Just read through this thread. What an odd bunch, who seem quite culturally ignorant....god help them if they ever go to a football match (they'll rush home, put on their cardy and slippers and post angrily about profanity ruining a tippetty top sporting occasion).

The funny thing is, by TT standards we actually gave them a pretty warm welcome. Anyway best of luck to them as they trek across the internet looking for a place to call home like a lost tribe of Israel. A land of milk and honey where nobody calls you a cunt or accuses you of talking out your arse.

Regarding Ed, I feel very sorry for the fella.  Back in the pre Ashley days when I was always trawling Newsnow for NUFC tidbits, his nufc blog was ever present in the list of nufc hits. However I never really read his site because his articles always looked like he'd paraphrased newspaper articles only in a less interesting way. Still I wish him well.

• Like 3

This is unfortunate and inevitable. And funny tbf.

The thing with TT is, we don't care if anyone else shows up really, we're not looking to grow the userbase as such (if people join and get the place, great, if not, we're fine), we're just here to talk with a bunch of people most of us have known for over a decade. Over the course of the years that TT has been running it's developed a particular culture. You can't just drop 10 or so people into that culture out of nowhere and in total ignorance of said culture, and then take offence at it. No one was being harsh or mean to you, you just don't get how this place works.

Keep reading the forum outside of this thread, see if you can insert yourself into a conversation or thread somewhere, and you'll find you get on pretty well IMO. None of us are bad people, none of us are children, we're all grown adults with jobs and families and whatever. We all care about each other.

In earnest though even if we'd given you the perfect welcome with bells on, taking a community group that seems to be well connected to each other such as your own and merging it into another community with similar bonds and ties with no planning, conversation or attempt to understand each other was always going to fail.

Sorry to hear about the blog and its owner btw. Good luck in whatever you do from here.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The thing with TT is, we don't care if anyone else shows up really, we're not looking to grow the userbase as such (if people join and get the place, great, if not, we're fine), we're just here to talk with a bunch of people most of us have known for over a decade. Over the course of the years that TT has been running it's developed a particular culture. You can't just drop 10 or so people into that culture out of nowhere and in total ignorance of said culture, and then take offence at it. No one was being harsh or mean to you, you just don't get how this place works.

Keep reading the forum outside of this thread, see if you can insert yourself into a conversation or thread somewhere, and you'll find you get on pretty well IMO. None of us are bad people, none of us are children, we're all grown adults with jobs and families and whatever. We all care about each other.

In earnest though even if we'd given you the perfect welcome with bells on, taking a community group that seems to be well connected to each other such as your own and merging it into another community with similar bonds and ties with no planning, conversation or attempt to understand each other was always going to fail.

Sorry to hear about the blog and its owner btw. Good luck in whatever you do from here.

Was this copied and pasted from Suella Braverman's speech yesterday?

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Was this copied and pasted from Suella Braverman's speech yesterday?

In the mod channel I literally made this joke myself :lol: 

14 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Was flat out never going to work. TT struggles to accommodate new posters when they come in as a gust of wind, let alone when it's a hurricane of them /Suella.

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I read this with increasing consternation that I hadn’t seen “sorry” anywhere, but BOOM… there it is, right at the end. 

Fucking Legend :lol:

• Haha 10

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Is Leazes’ old forum still going? That only had about 4 regular posters and two of those were him using different accounts. 

Didn't HTT interview himself once about the Hitzfeld dossier? 

*laughs*

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Is Leazes’ old forum still going? That only had about 4 regular posters and two of those were him using different accounts. 

Sounds a bit like Exile from RTG tbh. You reckon Leazes might have switched teams?

• Haha 3

Nah, he hated the mackems as much as he hated Muslims. I actually almost felt sorry for him when he started a thread on there as LeazesMag and the only reply about two days later was from him pretending to be a different person. NE4 or something was his other account. Proper tapped :lol: 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I remember when he, after being banned or suspended or whatever, from here, replied to one of my mates tweets with a massive thread about people on Toontastic and saying Ant had put a virus in his computer. My mate was completely fucking baffled :lol: 

I bet he used ‘Bogtrotter’ on more than one occasion 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 5

On 04/10/2023 at 07:07, Alex said:

I was talking to my Dad last night. I knew he knew the fella who did the NUFC blog as he’d mentioned it ages ago. My dad would read the blog from time to time and had seen the recent post announcing it was closing down. Anyway, it turns out they lived close to each other in Walker and were in the same class at high school (Heaton Tech as was). They both played for Newcastle Boys for several seasons. My dad was a centre half and said that Ed Harrison was an excellent ‘fearless’ goalkeeper. Ed played in a trial match for England schoolboys so he must’ve been pretty decent. 
My dad said Ed did a degree at King’s College London, before doing a masters up here. And he must’ve subsequently got a doctorate. That would’ve been highly unusual for a working class lad from Walker back then when hardly anyone would’ve stayed on beyond 16, let alone go to uni. 
Their paths crossed a bit through the years as my dad had various jobs in IT and Ed ended up working for IBM, which saw him move to North Carolina, where he is now. My dad reckons Ed is a lovely fella. 
Anyway, sorry for the boring, humourless story with no swearing ;) 

Thanks for that. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Isegrim said:

I totally missed this the other week and feel left out :( .

Cunts.

We should mark topics like this as extremely hilarious.

You make a good point, poll added.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think it was remarked that we were a younger bunch! Given that the majority of us must be over 40, some 50 or 60 (or older RIP Noelie) then maybe they were just a more respectful group of olds. 

I see Taco keeps dropping in and Dazzler (if he came from there) seems to have found his feet pretty quickly. I've been on here so long, I can't quite remember what happened back in the late 90s early 2000s. Wasn't TT resurrected when some jumped ship from NO?

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I think it was remarked that we were a younger bunch! Given that the majority of us must be over 40, some 50 or 60 (or older RIP Noelie) then maybe they were just a more respectful group of olds. 

I see Taco keeps dropping in and Dazzler (if he came from there) seems to have found his feet pretty quickly. I've been on here so long, I can't quite remember what happened back in the late 90s early 2000s. Wasn't TT resurrected when some jumped ship from NO?

Dazzler's slotted in very quickly, which either means he's a(n) (alright) cunt or was the Quiff of their board/forum/old person chatroom and they're glad to be shot of him.

He's already arguing with the spreadsheet boys, so let's hope he stays the course.

Edited by sammynb
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, sammynb said:

Dazzler's slotted in very quickly, which either means he's a(n) (alright) cunt or was the Quiff of their board/forum/old person chatroom and they're glad to be shot of him.

He's already arguing with the spreadsheet boys, so let's hope he stays the course.

I prefer mega cunt, but whatever suits tbf. 

I think I did alright on Ed's blog. I haven't been banned on the discord server yet, at least. Though I did cause uproar one night by calling a mackem troll on the blog a kiddie fiddler, and laboured the point a fair bit. I don't think such a comment would even be noticed here :lol:

• Haha 4