Eddies Injury Ravaged European Trailblazers v Gary O’Neils Black Country Wimpy Wolves

Holden McGroin

14 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

There was a great chance in the second half where Miggy should have crossed it. But because he's a one foot pony he didn't. It's frustrating as fuck in virtually every game we get players in the box only to see the chance gone because a professional footballer can't cross with his weaker foot. 

He crossed a beauty with his right foot yesterday. 

Just for reference; Your new obsession with Miggy is close to LTAs with Gordon.

Miggy was much better than Gordon yesterday. Both offensively & defensively. 

It's not even comparable. It's the last couple of games Miggy has been frustrating as chuff. Maybe because Trippier passing has been a little off. I don't know. 

I do like Miggy. He's an option off the bench but think in the summer it needs to be first place we look for strengthening 

Lots of infighting here today. We've got 6 first teamers out injured and we are playing twice a week. Players will blow hot and cold depending on what they're up against.

Almiron and Gordon have been excellent at times this season, Gordon more often but they've both had valuable contributions. 

• Like 5

Good point. Its frustrating in a way because we all know we can and should be winning this game but with injuries as they are and the number of games to contend with, this just feels like a somewhat inevitable reality. We'll get there in the end in terms of squad depth but yeah, not yet.

I'm impressed we didn't lose. I do feel like I agree the subs should have been made earlier but that's only really based on what everyone was saying in here during the game.

I think seasons gone by, we loose that one. So to have the resilience and spirit to battle out a point in shit conditions with a depleated squad is good.

I am not as worried as getting Botman back as I thought I would be.  However getting him back will settle some nerves because if Schar or Lascelles get injured we will have Dummett in!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Gordon has been player of the season, but Miggy put a cross in with his right foot yesterday so he's beyond reproach.

Shut your shite, McGroin! Don't make me an enemy!

Schar has been player of the season so far. Absolute Rolls Royce this season. Trippier is well ahead of Gordon as well.

My point is that Almiron is getting unnecessarily picked on now. He links up superbly on the right with Bruno, Trippier and Longy. And he inverts cleverly so Trippier (best crossers of the ball we’ve had in history) can overlap and whip the ball in.  It works really well.

The fact of the matter is we have about 3 or 4 elite players in the team. The rest are replaceable. Including Gordon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I think they both have elements of it. They are both dribblers. I liked Maxi and he would have a been a good impact sub for us but he never fitted into Eddies press, so it was best for all concerned he moved on. 

Wingers are notoriously hot and cold. I genuinely don’t think there is much between all for them. They are all good options but none are elite level. When Barnes is fully fit and intune with the system then I’d play him as he guarantees 10+ goals. I’d probably go Gordon on the right to supply the bullets but all can be interchanged.

Miggy was good v dortmund and good last night. He literally ran his legs off for the team last night. I have nothing but respect for what he does for NUFC.

I think there is quite a bit between them tbh (IMO of course). Gordon and Miggy run themselves into the ground, and are key instigators in our pressing game. Maxi was excellent to watch play but if people are frustrated at Miggys play they must have been ripping their hair out at Maxi.

Maxi would be great off the bench in games when you need to add a bit of unpredictability. But it's a pure nonsense argument from what I am starting to understand is a complete WUM to label Gordon as a headless chicken when he has done more in 13 games this season than Maxi did in the entirety of last season, as well as what he's currently doing in the Saudi league.

No player is above criticism, but actively willing a current player to fail and taking joy in them having an off game because he's not Maxi is pure unbridled wummery IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Schar has been player of the season so far. Absolute Rolls Royce this season. Trippier is well ahead of Gordon as well.

My point is that Almiron is getting unnecessarily picked on now. He links up superbly on the right with Bruno, Trippier and Longy. And he inverts cleverly so Trippier (best crossers of the ball we’ve had in history) can overlap and whip the ball in.  It works really well.

The fact of the matter is we have about 3 or 4 elite players in the team. The rest are replaceable. Including Gordon. 

I'd agree with this tbh, Schar has really stepped up, especially in the absence of Botman. I'd have Gordon in second place though, Trippier has been excellent since our form picked up but I think he had a bit of a shaky start. Gordon has been insanely consistent even when things weren't going out way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

Schar reads the game better than most defenders we've had

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

It's not even comparable. It's the last couple of games Miggy has been frustrating as chuff. Maybe because Trippier passing has been a little off. I don't know. 

I do like Miggy. He's an option off the bench but think in the summer it needs to be first place we look for strengthening 

I said close to. 😉

I’d look at left back personally. He does need an upgrade (along with a lot of others) if we are to progress but he got a new contract at the end of last season so he is here to stay.

I just find the criticism a bit unwarranted. Personally, he would be one of the last players I’d have a go at from yesterdays display. 

Must admit, I found the reluctance to make subs strange especially when Targett looked pretty composed in attack on Wednesday night but I assume Howe is going to make wholesale changes for the cup again, against a Man Utd team he expects to do the same. He probably thought it was best to keep the full experienced unit on to help us see the game out? Both Livramento and Hall will get their moments but I do think it’s probably worth looking at some short term players, especially in central midfield. Phillips will be massively overpriced but there’ll be plenty of value abroad. Saying that, I do think we take a long-term approach to things and Howe will bank on the fitness of the squad to get us through to another international break and won’t sweat the odd dropped point here and there. With some good fortune, after January, we’ll have just about everybody back and firing into good form ala last season 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Howay said:

I’m sorry like but this constant “we can’t criticize Almiron” stance is wearing thin. The bloke plays bad most weeks but he’s not able to be criticized because Trippier played worse, or he’s a scapegoat, etc, RobElliott is spot on Almiron should be the first player in line for an upgrade he was shocking today, yet again. I don’t in anyway blame him for the result as most the team were poor, but people bring up Gordon, who created a goal, as if he had a worse game. 

I agree with this view in general but as far as yesterday goes I thought he was one of our better players, partly because no one else did anything special. 

We honestly just need to put out the reserves midweek and see what happens. The players need a rest, it's painfully obvious. I know everyone wants to win a cup but it might not be this season or this league cup anyway, can't risk any more injuries and throwing away the decent position in the league we've managed to get into.

Thought we did reasonable well yesterday, under the circumstances (expected knackeredness, injuries/suspension and the fucking weather),  but the lack of subs was pretty baffling.

Aye maybe Howe plans on playing those unused player through the week but resting players who don’t play normally, hmm.  

Agree that Schar was a fucking Demon yesterday, but again he is a slightly less mobile player than some of those who maybe weren’t up to their usual high standards.

No player is above criticism tbh. Miggy is an easy target because of his obvious shortcomings but he was by far our worst player yesterday. I think it was probably Trippier, unbelievably 

I'll give Trips a rare day off, given how consistent and reliable he usually is. By some distance, our best recruitment since the takeover. Elite level player who brings everyone else's game up.

• Like 1

Honestly think Howe kept Hall and Livramento on the bench because they'll be starting against Man Utd in the cup. Wouldn't be surprised if Miley played, Dummett at the back, or Krafth instead of Schar? Maybe Gordon up front, with Willock on the left?

Anyway, I was right with the result, wasn't I?