General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I'm a latecomer to Buxton but he's an insanely likeable and funny bloke. Bit like me.

For people that listened to the 6music Adam and Joe show there's a history that makes him all the more likeable.  Joe would beat him on song wars all the time and Adam's indignation seemed only partially feigned.  If they're still available on Itunes they're well worth a retrospective listen.   Then Joe went off to Hollywood to work with Spielberg and made his own film.  Adam seems very insecure about all of this.

But Buxton's podcasts are some of the most original well constucted you'll hear and done with so much more care than the ones that record a chat and dump it, or even the perfectly constucted This American Life ones that are more slick but stick to a pretty rigid formula.  He experiments with the form more than any other I've heard. The music he produces for them is usually his standard comedy ones he's always done, but he'll do brilliant ear worm synthesizer bits or JAM or Bill Hicks Live album style interludes as well.  Those Bowie ones struck me as especially high watermarks across all the podcasts I've ever heard and I think there were bits on the Jonny Greenwood one that were superb too.

Paxman is a proper Partridge there.

Recommend the Adam Buxton Bowie specials and podcasts.  They're superb and look at a lot of what Bowie was doing with his own website in the early days.  There's a particulalry good story about Dara O'Kearney who Bowie befriended as his biggest fan online and brought him to gigs and shared ideas on what the internet was and would become O'Kearney wrote about it here and includes reference to that Paxman interview.

Post Death Podcasts

http://adam-buxton.co.uk/ad/2016/03/24/podcast-ep-13-14-bowiewallow-pt-1-2/

2013 6music special

https://soundcloud.com/adam-buxton/adam-buxton-on-david-bowie-2013-for-bbc-6musicedit

Fucking class is Buxton.

We had some pretty awful news at work this week. There was a lad who did his sandwich year from Northumbria University with us two years back. We'd normally have an IT undergrad but we'd just taken an IT grad on so we decided on using someone studying in the marketing area to try and help raise our social media profile and all that sort of thing. A lass from another company in the building (all the lasses fancied him as he was a handsome young lad) said they'd just seen on the Daily Mail that he'd been killed. In July last year he'd started working down in London in marketing. Only a month or so later he was out on a night out with a colleague. He was in a taxi with him and, according to the story, as a prank he'd thrown the other lad's shoe out the window. There was a bit of a scuffle so the taxi driver chucked them both out. It must have continued and this lad's colleague ended up punching him in the back of the head. He went to A&E the following night complaining of a severe headache. He collapsed and died with a massive brain haemorrhage. He was 23. I'm not just saying it but he was a genuinely lovely lad and one where you felt the world was his oyster.

It was in the paper because the colleague of his had just been found guilty of his manslaughter. Apparently the same lad got done for drink driving in 2003, then again a year later and also had a conviction in 2013 for battery where alcolhol was again a factor. The comments from the prosecuting QC also implied there were a few other cautions and the like along the same lines. He's only 32.

What a fucking waste of a life.

Pretty horrible story about that 7 year old lass thats died. Sounds like her sister has cut her throat

Unbearable story, having a 7-yr old myself. The children in her class are too young to have to learn about this kind of brutality and grief against one of their friends :(

Where do you get the sister thing from btw?

We had some pretty awful news at work this week. There was a lad who did his sandwich year from Northumbria University with us two years back. We'd normally have an IT undergrad but we'd just taken an IT grad on so we decided on using someone studying in the marketing area to try and help raise our social media profile and all that sort of thing. A lass from another company in the building (all the lasses fancied him as he was a handsome young lad) said they'd just seen on the Daily Mail that he'd been killed. In July last year he'd started working down in London in marketing. Only a month or so later he was out on a night out with a colleague. He was in a taxi with him and, according to the story, as a prank he'd thrown the other lad's shoe out the window. There was a bit of a scuffle so the taxi driver chucked them both out. It must have continued and this lad's colleague ended up punching him in the back of the head. He went to A&E the following night complaining of a severe headache. He collapsed and died with a massive brain haemorrhage. He was 23. I'm not just saying it but he was a genuinely lovely lad and one where you felt the world was his oyster.

It was in the paper because the colleague of his had just been found guilty of his manslaughter. Apparently the same lad got done for drink driving in 2003, then again a year later and also had a conviction in 2013 for battery where alcolhol was again a factor. The comments from the prosecuting QC also implied there were a few other cautions and the like along the same lines. He's only 32.

What a fucking waste of a life.

:( 

Unbearable story, having a 7-yr old myself. The children in her class are too young to have to learn about this kind of brutality and grief against one of their friends :(

Where do you get the sister thing from btw?

The sister's been charged according to the beeb.

The sister's been charged according to the beeb.

I know a 15-yr old had been charged but they don't say that it's her sister. I was just wondering where that's being reported as it's unthinkable for the family.