General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

So not sure its much consolation but if you had signs that early I'm not sure that would have been due solely to smoking? Lots of drugs to help you quit smoking - bupropion, vaenuicline, nicotine replacement, all available from your GP if not the respiratory clinic. Use all the help you can get. You've got a family which I'm sure is all the motivation you need. Ironically my liver scans have shown no physical damage at all which in a way doesn't help in the temptation stakes (!) but I know it will fuck my brain nonetheless so no thanks. Good luck.  

Been smoking since I was 16 man so it is possible, but fair point! Hadn't really considered that. Doc did say it's massively uncommon for folk to develop emphysema so young. 

> Not saying it will be easy but it is/was enough to motivate me to get off the booze. 

Woah! Slow down! One thing at a time man. 

Ah I jest. Well done getting off the sauce! 

• Like 1

Good luck mate. That's shite news but hopefully you can slow the progression right down by getting off the smokes. Was it you saying you're basically incapable of putting weight on - we might be about to put that to the ultimate test. ;)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Good luck mate. That's shite news but hopefully you can slow the progression right down by getting off the smokes. Was it you saying you're basically incapable of putting weight on - we might be about to put that to the ultimate test. ;)

Aye that's me. Time will tell if it was nicotine addiction or terminal disease. This could be the year I get fat.

I'm more tha happy to draw up the book.

12 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Well, shit. Just been told I've got emphysema, which in all honesty isn't a massive surprise given how heavily I've smoked all my adult life. The surprise was learning I've had it since at least 2008.

Wonderful start to the year. 

Sorry to hear that.  Hope things look up once you get rid of the ciggies.  Could you have a word with Longstaff while you're at it. 

I was a pretty heavy smoker and gave up 19 years ago this past Christmas Eve.

I’m beyond grateful I’ve managed to stay off the wretched things.

I had tried to stop and failed 3 or 4 times before.

This is what worked for me.

1: Read Allen Carr’s easy way to stop smoking. Then read it again.

2: Drink, eat anything you feel like for the first few weeks. You can fix that later.

3: After about a month buy yourself a decent new guitar. Some of it you’ll already have saved, the rest is a future incentive to stay stopped.

4: Promise yourself that you can buy yourself a pack of fags in three months time if you don’t feel better. This will stop you feeling like it’s too depressing to think of forever and honestly if you manage to get there you won’t want to start again.

The fact that smoking is banned in bars and restaurants makes it much easier than it used to be IMO.

It’s one nanny state law I completely agree with.

Good luck, you really will wonder why the fuck you didn’t give up sooner.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

I was a pretty heavy smoker and gave up 19 years ago this past Christmas Eve.

I’m beyond grateful I’ve managed to stay off the wretched things.

I had tried to stop and failed 3 or 4 times before.

This is what worked for me.

1: Read Allen Carr’s easy way to stop smoking. Then read it again.

2: Drink, eat anything you feel like for the first few weeks. You can fix that later.

3: After about a month buy yourself a decent new guitar. Some of it you’ll already have saved, the rest is a future incentive to stay stopped.

4: Promise yourself that you can buy yourself a pack of fags in three months time if you don’t feel better. This will stop you feeling like it’s too depressing to think of forever and honestly if you manage to get there you won’t want to start again.

The fact that smoking is banned in bars and restaurants makes it much easier than it used to be IMO.

It’s one nanny state law I completely agree with.

Good luck, you really will wonder why the fuck you didn’t give up sooner.

Cheers. So far so good. Must be on hour 28 at this point (not that I'm counting).

Fucking bizarre how often I find myself standing up and habitually walking towards the door to go for a smoke before remembering and just awkwardly pacing about for a few minutes before sitting back down. 

Cheers for the pointers. Might come back to that if I start really struggling. I particularly like point two, you had me at "Drink".

Weirdly for a 20-30 a day guy who's barely ever thought of trying to quit in 20 years, so far it doesn't even feel like the actual stopping will be a massive struggle so far but I'll see how the next few days pan out. Looking forward to eventually finding out exactly how fucked I am.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I found Quickmist a massive help in quitting. The problem is I’m still addicted to it.

Cheers, just googled it, is it some kind of suppository?

I'm on the nicotine gum, something for the other end might be needed to take the bulk of the work off my overworked jaw.

It’s about 3 inches long and 3/4 inch wide so it would slide up their quite handily.

Gum is good and lozenges too but I found the hit from the Quickmist and the sting on the back of the throat was quite satisfying. I’m not sure if you can get any of it on prescription but the quickmist is definitely the most expensive option, equivalent to about 40 fags for a double pack. I reckon I’ve definitely spent about £5k on them over the years.

• Like 1

Speaking of German Shepherds, I got attacked by one today. 

Stood at some bloke’s door, 7a.m. when the neighbour, who’s door was right beside, opened his door and let this furious beast, all teeth and anger, out. 
Straight up, paws on my chest, going for a face breakfast. 
I managed to grab it’s collar and get it away, then twisted it to choke the fucker and George Floyded it. 

Then the fucking owner had a go at me saying I was hurting his dog! 

Fuck me, it’s not the first time I’ve had to choke an angry bitch, but it was a bit early in the day for that kind of nonsense :lol:

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Speaking of German Shepherds, I got attacked by one today. 

Stood at some bloke’s door, 7a.m. when the neighbour, who’s door was right beside, opened his door and let this furious beast, all teeth and anger, out. 
Straight up, paws on my chest, going for a face breakfast. 
I managed to grab it’s collar and get it away, then twisted it to choke the fucker and George Floyded it. 

Then the fucking owner had a go at me saying I was hurting his dog! 

Fuck me, it’s not the first time I’ve had to choke an angry bitch, but it was a bit early in the day for that kind of nonsense :lol:

It was a police dog so it obviously hasn't forgotten your scent. 

• Haha 4

Anyone familiar with EBay on here? 

I put my old phone up for sale at £285 buy it now or best offer & someone's gone and offered £370 for it, which naturally I accepted & he's paid eBay the money. He's got 110 good feedback...

It just strikes me as very strange.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Anyone familiar with EBay on here? 

I put my old phone up for sale at £285 buy it now or best offer & someone's gone and offered £370 for it, which naturally I accepted & he's paid eBay the money. He's got 110 good feedback...

It just strikes me as very strange.

He's probably assumed it's auction-only and not realised you did a 'Buy it now'. Your call but if you were happy to accept £285 and you're feeling charitable, I'd consider contacting him directly to offer the difference back.