General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

On 03/01/2023 at 09:55, Meenzer said:

Am I the only sucker who actually worked between Christmas and New Year? :lol: Admittedly by choice, because I'd rather take that time off at a time of year when it's actually nice outside and you can do stuff, but still.

Nah, I was in work saving lives, as per

On 03/01/2023 at 20:55, Meenzer said:

Am I the only sucker who actually worked between Christmas and New Year? :lol: Admittedly by choice, because I'd rather take that time off at a time of year when it's actually nice outside and you can do stuff, but still.

Nope, I even worked Christmas eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and NYD, all for the same rate as I do for any other day of the year. Life of a contract worker.

4 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
Bob Mortimer was the funnier of those two by a country mile. 

I seen them at Tyne Theatre about a week before the first lockdown and Mortimer had me in tears laughing. 

He's as mad as a box of frogs.

• Like 3

I worked between Xmas and New year so I could take the days over to take this week off. Literally all my US, UK, and European clients are on a/l as are my peers so taking the time off is for mugs tbh, you're in classic loafing territory. Plus it gave me an excuse to go to the office and get away from the family. 👍

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Craig said:

Now that's what I call a backfire :lol:

We used to watch that show. :lol:  Stopped not long afterwards, probably realising subconsciously that it could never top that moment.

• Haha 2

Just found out that a lad I used to work with passed away over Christmas. We'd stayed in touch and I knew he was ill, so wasn't surprised not to hear from him for a while, but got the text a couple of hours ago and, well.. yeah.

He was the same age as me (41), he had two young lads the eldest only 4 or 5. Last time we spoke (about 18months ago) he was buzzing cos the Drs said it was looking good, but apparently the testicular cancer spread to his kidneys and beyond. 

Cancer is a cunt, isn't it?

• Sad 11

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Just found out that a lad I used to work with passed away over Christmas. We'd stayed in touch and I knew he was ill, so wasn't surprised not to hear from him for a while, but got the text a couple of hours ago and, well.. yeah.

He was the same age as me (41), he had two young lads the eldest only 4 or 5. Last time we spoke (about 18months ago) he was buzzing cos the Drs said it was looking good, but apparently the testicular cancer spread to his kidneys and beyond. 

Really sorry to hear that, mate. Awful news 

50 minutes ago, The Fish said:

sorry for your loss. 

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

It really is. You sometimes wonder how you're supposed to plan for anything in life or feel secure when there's so much out there that can happen to you or your loved ones, but that's the nature of it all, I suppose.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, The Fish said:

That's awful, sorry to hear it. Yeah, this stuff just increases exponentially the older you get unfortunately. Found out today that my dead sister's fiance (also mentally disabled) passed two days ago. No idea what the cause was yet. Feel really guilty because when she died I had promised to take him to the match, but I never got round to it. Now that chance is gone and both of them are just memories. 

Regarding cancer, yeah it's so cruel. As a matter of fact I'm currently working on a potentially curative treatment for advanced testicular cancer. Seems like progress is glacially slow but I actually think we may be pretty near a paradigm shift on treatment for a lot of cancers. But I guess even if we are something else will kill us. Erm yeah, happy Friday everyone! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Fish said:

Shit news, that mate. Very sorry to hear it, especially with such young kids involved.

In a weird coincidence, was going to post something similar. My mother rang me before to tell me that my best mate throughout primary school (I kna but stick with it) has died. Had a terrible upbringing and my mother used to always look out for him and his siblings by giving out some hand me downs, things like that. Anyway, that struck me in a similar way as, obviously, we’re the same age and by no means old but it does make the brain tick over in uncomfortable ways.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, The Fish said:

At times there doesn’t seem to be much reason to it. I had one of my best mates die of stomach cancer a few years ago at 35. It probably didn’t help that every time he went to the doctor or A&E with pains he was pretty much fobbed off with pain medication before it was discovered but then again he probably wasn’t seen as being a high risk candidate for it.

Anyway, if Renton would stop fucking about at Centre Parcs and get on with finding a cure for cancer then maybe some lives could be saved.

• Haha 3

On a more positive note, I was told over Christmas that my dog was dying of a tumour on the heart. I didn’t see much point but was referred to a cardiologist who told me yesterday that there was nothing there and the dog was fit and healthy. So that was a nice way to spend £1000. Thank fuck for insurance.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Good news about your dog. I know how you Irish are with your dogs. 

I'm talking about you shagging them. 

We assumed nothing else. 🙂 

The Royal Family bores me tbh, but I've never particularly had strong opinions on Harry and Meghan. He seems reasonably down to Earth and she seems fairly normal and successful in her own right.

Cant help feel it's a bit unnecessary to publicly announce details of your first shag, your drug use, how much of a knob your Brother is and the fact you killed 25 people in the army though... 

• Like 1

He’s been in therapy in the US.  This is just the next stage, only open to the famous & marketable though obvs. I sort of get why he’s done it, his critics don’t have a lot of legitimate ammo left if he’s put it all out there. Still hoping for a reconciliation with his father and brother shows a high level of delusion though, cunt should be fuckin sectioned for thinking that’s a possibility now :cuppa: