General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

There was almost no snow here on monday night but Greater Anglia didn't even bother trying to run any trains yesterday so I worked from home.

Last night they realised their mistake and said they'd run a full service today only for about 8 inches of snow to lie overnight. Cue an almost non-existent and shit service today - working from home again.

Edited by NJS

4 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Well after calling all my colleagues lazy bastards for crying off work yesterday I’ve had to abandon my car 1 mile from home after being sat at a standstill for 2 hours :lol:

I was flying through the snow no bother but it’s all the arseholes in Citroen C1s and double decker buses who have blocked off every road in and out of town

My Citroen C1 is class in the snow tbh, which is why I've never had to abandon it :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

2mph drivers causing more hassle than anything, fuck me just put your foot down you're making it harder for everyone.

6 o'clock this morning and not a fucking road gritted anywhere including the coast road although I did see gritters heading in the opposite direction. (Mustn't fancy paying them nightshift allowance). 15mph all the way in our automatic with some daft cunt up my arse for about a mile near Heaton. Wasn't you, was it? :lol:

We've got some snow martyrs here. One bloke was driving from Edinburgh, got as far as Berwick before deciding it was too dangerous to continue. Instead of turning round and going home, he gets on a train to complete his odyssey. Meanwhile, I'm not even gonna attempt to drive in from 5 miles away tomorrow. 

Another bloke is sending out emails detailing the delays and shutdown to all train services. Then announcing hell be getting on a train to come here later today. I feel like waiting in the lobby to kick him in the balls on arrival. 

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We've got some snow martyrs here. One bloke was driving from Edinburgh, got as far as Berwick before deciding it was too dangerous to continue. Instead of turning round and going home, he gets on a train to complete his odyssey. Meanwhile, I'm not even gonna attempt to drive in from 5 miles away tomorrow. 

Another bloke is sending out emails detailing the delays and shutdown to all train services. Then announcing hell be getting on a train to come here later today. I feel like waiting in the lobby to kick him in the balls on arrival. 

:lol:

I was in two minds to go in but had expected the main roads to be gritted so was a bit miffed when I realised they weren't and I was already in the car. There was a notice at work the other day about adverse weather and tips like 'leave earlier', 'de-ice your car' and other such amazing pearls of wisdom. My place are safety fanatics when it suits them but they never say stuff like, 'if it looks unsafe, stay at home'. Fuck that shit. It's like the their sick pay arrangements/criteria. Due to the nature of the job you have to stay away if you've been sick/had the shits for at least 48 hours afterwards. Go in and they find out you're in danger of the sack. Stay off as you're supposed to and if it happens three times in a rolling twelve month period and it's a slap on the wrist and you're off the sick pay scheme for six months. A load of workplaces will be all caring touchy/feely untill you actually don't go in. :lol:

Aye, this place sent out a "be safe" email at 9:30 this morning. After everyone had either arrived or was on their way. The advice was to make sure your phone is charged and not to forget to let your family know your travel plans. Presumably so that they can recover your body. 

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

6 o'clock this morning and not a fucking road gritted anywhere including the coast road although I did see gritters heading in the opposite direction. (Mustn't fancy paying them nightshift allowance). 15mph all the way in our automatic with some daft cunt up my arse for about a mile near Heaton. Wasn't you, was it? :lol:

Don't even talk to me.

Young lad who sits next to me at work is one bone idle cunt.  Spends almost all day with netflix on in a small window in the corner of his screen.  He is seriously taking the piss.

Spoke to my gaffer about it.  He emailed me the IT policy so I can discuss it with the lad :lol:

WTF

20 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Young lad who sits next to me at work is one bone idle cunt.  Spends almost all day with netflix on in a small window in the corner of his screen.  He is seriously taking the piss.

Spoke to my gaffer about it.  He emailed me the IT policy so I can discuss it with the lad :lol:

WTF

Grass.

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

WTF

After finally hounding out all the females, (or murdering them), at his work, Wyki now turning his sights on 'young lads'. I wouldn't show him a birds nest as we used to say. 

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

WTF

Having been in the same position as your gaffer before, I can say with some confidence that he doesn't give a shit if people are on netflix or not apart from if it is impacting his numbers. If he has to deal with it, it becomes a formal disciplinary procedure, taking time and effort. However, now that you've raised it, he can't turn a blind eye really - if people know it's ok for this kid, they might all start doing it. And then his numbers might well be impacted.

You've given him a headache, basically :lol:

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Having been in the same position as your gaffer before, I can say with some confidence that he doesn't give a shit if people are on netflix or not apart from if it is impacting his numbers. If he has to deal with it, it becomes a formal disciplinary procedure, taking time and effort. However, now that you've raised it, he can't turn a blind eye really - if people know it's ok for this kid, they might all start doing it. And then his numbers might well be impacted.

You've given him a headache, basically :lol:

:lol:

The lad was given 4 days to do a day's job by someone. The lad didn't check on him so you could say that's his own fault. But the day of the deadline he still hadn't done it. Got to 5 he got up and left. Other lad had to stay and finish it. 

He just has zero fucks. I asked who he was working for last week. He told me so I asked the lad what was he doing for him. He said he hadn't worked for him for about 3 weeks! Wtf! 

He just comes in. Earphones in Netflix on. Lunch goes to breakout where we have a bastard ping pong table. Plays that comes back. Earphones Netflix. Home. 

Doesn't ask for any help or ask for work or interact with anyone. Proper oddball. 

3 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

What do @Meenzer and everyone else make of zis? Anything in it?

I learned about the German sound shifts at university (that's come in dead handy in my career, as you can imagine) but I'd never really connected it with Geordie before - I think I'd have just assumed it was the Viking influence like with Scottish words that you can see in today's Scandinavian languages (bairn, kirk etc.). It makes decent sense though.

I've met her, by the way. In the crowd at that England-Germany reunion match for the Bobby Robson Foundation. She brought a mediaeval hunting horn. :dunno: