General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

27 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The National Grid reckon they're running out of gas. :lol:

That's like going to KFC and finding out they've ran out of chicken!

One of the negatives of being a clinical lead in a team is working 8am-9pm and then night shift gets stuck in the snow so you have to stay and do the 9pm-8am shift. 

I can’t even focus on the computer atm 

7 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

One of the negatives of being a clinical lead in a team is working 8am-9pm and then night shift gets stuck in the snow so you have to stay and do the 9pm-8am shift. 

That sounds grim, thanks for doing it though.

8 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

:lol:

There's a lad at work who's a BA/project manager who's about the same age as me and just as cynical - we have the same mantra whenever younger, more intense people get so het up about work and how important it is that the bank succeeds and no money is lost.

We just tell them nobody died and its not a matter of life and death and that applies here - KD and Cath aside, it doesn't really matter if none of us manage to get to work. As it happens I've actually worked quite hard from home this week but I wouldn't have been that bothered if it wasn't possible.

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

KD and Cath aside, it doesn't really matter if none of us manage to get to work. 

Ahem, let’s not forget the 4th emergency service, the taxi drivers. Ferrying nurses to and from hospitals, patients to and from hospitals, pensioners to post offices for their pensions, gas cards and pints of milk not to mention the thousands of commuters abandoned by train and bus pussys.

;)

7 minutes ago, NJS said:

There's a lad at work who's a BA/project manager who's about the same age as me and just as cynical - we have the same mantra whenever younger, more intense people get so het up about work and how important it is that the bank succeeds and no money is lost.

We just tell them nobody died and its not a matter of life and death and that applies here - KD and Cath aside, it doesn't really matter if none of us manage to get to work. As it happens I've actually worked quite hard from home this week but I wouldn't have been that bothered if it wasn't possible.

Agreed. I'm nhs but the world won't end if my report is late. But still, I have to face a 4 hour commute into work or I'll lose next year's annual leave (used all this year's) or a days pay. Juggling life with the kids off school is fucking hard.

Oh, and after my c/h breaking down 2 weeks ago I got a burst water pipe last night so now have no fucking water! :mad:

More money for a plumber. Sick of winter. 

You definitely see who you can rely on in weather like this. I’ve had staff take 4 hours on trains, metros, buses and foot to get into work. And I’ve had others who opened the curtains and said “fuck that”.

The bosses have been the worst culprits. One of them who has taken 3 days off even had the temerity to share an article on Facebook about how many NHS staff had made the effort to get into work :lol:

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Agreed. I'm nhs but the world won't end if my report is late. But still, I have to face a 4 hour commute into work or I'll lose next year's annual leave (used all this year's) or a days pay. Juggling life with the kids off school is fucking hard.

Oh, and after my c/h breaking down 2 weeks ago I got a burst water pipe last night so now have no fucking water! :mad:

More money for a plumber. Sick of winter. 

Fair enough but I think its a bit remiss of any firm/organisation to not facilitate home working for most office jobs.

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

My Metro journey's shorter than yours and it took me less than an hour to get into work you massive fanny

Yesterday I had a 50 minute wait going in. Trouble is, with the Metro's only running every 30 minutes, there's a good chance I'll not get on at longbenton because of overcrowding so have to go the long way round, meaning 2 waits. It's doable but a pain in the arse. 

4 minutes ago, NJS said:

Fair enough but I think its a bit remiss of any firm/organisation to not facilitate home working for most office jobs.

Agreed, but some organisations just want you at your desk regardless. Tbf, in my old job I did fuck all on a wfh day except occasionally check emails.... Found it almost impossible to get motivated.