Cooking

Gemmill

There's nobody on here really in a position to give me advice though.

When you've seen what I've seen, been where I've been, eaten what Ive eaten.....Then and only then could you possible comprehend the sort of advice I need.

2106516_o.gif

Have had the pickings from last night's roast chicken sitting in yoghurt all day. Also a bit of sumac and turmeric for a bit of earthiness and colour. It's a bit like saffron...

Now it's on the hob for a leftover chicken curry! :woot:

(3 cloves garlic, onion, peppers, turmeric, smoked paprika, toasted cumin seeds, garam masala, half & half of chopped tomatoes and passata)

Got my bollywood playlist on too. Just makes curry taste more currylike iyam.

Knocking up a roasted garlic, tomato, lentil and chorizo soup.

Love the smell of roast garlic in the oven, although it's been slightly spoiled because i've just had to clean up fucking cat sick. :angry2:

Slow roast garlic, sundried, chopped and cherry tomatoes with some balsamic vinegar and a pinch of brown sugar. I've done it for 2 hours in a 100c fan oven, giving it a stir every now and then.

Whilst that's doing, fry up: onion, celery, carrots, peppers (all diced) until the onions are soft. Throw in a spice mix of paprika, onion powder, mixed herbs, fresh basil and black pepper.

Add lentils (i'm using red) and mix it all in. Then pour in chicken stock to cover the lot, cover with a lid and boil for 30 mins.

Then pour in the tomatoes and blend all together. [EDIT - I didn't blend it in the end. Decided it'd be better chunky! Just add in more hot water if it ever gets too thick] [EDIT 2 - probably should've put chorizo in at this point]

Will serve with some garlic pizza bread. :)

Love the smell of roast garlic in the oven, although it's been slightly spoiled because i've just had to clean up fucking cat sick. :angry2:

Slow roast garlic, sundried, chopped and cherry tomatoes with some balsamic vinegar and a pinch of brown sugar. I've done it for 2 hours in a 100c fan oven, giving it a stir every now and then.

Whilst that's doing, fry up: onion, celery, carrots, peppers (all diced) until the onions are soft. Throw in a spice mix of paprika, onion powder, mixed herbs, fresh basil and black pepper.

Add lentils (i'm using red) and mix it all in. Then pour in chicken stock to cover the lot, cover with a lid and boil for 30 mins.

Then pour in the tomatoes and blend all together. [EDIT - I didn't blend it in the end. Decided it'd be better chunky! Just add in more hot water if it ever gets too thick]

You tease, you said there'd be chorizo! I read the whole recipe and everything. :(

that does sound lush. i just had a comparatively dull omelette with jalepenos, broccoli and peppers with a side salad of tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, rocket, fresh garlic and mixed seeds with a simple dressing of posh olive oil. wife's out for the night so couldn't be fecked to cook up a storm for one.

You tease, you said there'd be chorizo! I read the whole recipe and everything. :(

I was so pissed off at the cat sick that I plain forgot to put any goddam chorizo in. It's still in the fridge. :lol: (the chorizo that is, not the sick)

In hindsight, I would've used the Meenz chorizo oil technique from the start then added the chorizo in towards the last half hour along with the tomato.

Bollocks. :blush2:

Cooking sweet potato and peanut gratin from the River Cottage book. It's in the oven at the minute and smells incredible.

Thinly sliced sweet potatoes, mixed with garlic, crushed chillies and double cream layered in a tray. Then a layer of crunchy Whole Earth peanut butter mixed with lime zest and lime juice. Topped with more of the sweet potato and the rest of the double cream. Bake in the oven.

Then pour in the tomatoes and blend all together. [EDIT - I didn't blend it in the end. Decided it'd be better chunky! Just add in more hot water if it ever gets too thick] [EDIT 2 - probably should've put chorizo in at this point]

How do much does that cost Brock? After years of pissing away money on sandwiches for work I've been taking soups to work. I've wondered about making my own, but in addition to all the time involved the ones I buy only cost me 50p-£1 so not really bothered.

How do much does that cost Brock? After years of pissing away money on sandwiches for work I've been taking soups to work. I've wondered about making my own, but in addition to all the time involved the ones I buy only cost me 50p-£1 so not really bothered.

Not a great deal really. Hard to say mind as I keep things like chopped tomatoes, lentils and spices handy as they last for ages and you can do so many different things with them. Definitely came in at well under a fiver.

The most expensive one-off ingredient in that was the sundried tomatoes - about £1.40 for a jar in Asda.

We had two massive portions of that soup but you could get 4 servings out of that to do you for lunches/light dinners. Very filling on account of the lentils (160g in the above). The best thing about homemade soup is you can make a huge batch and then freeze it.

Thai masaman king prawn last night. Put a bit of cream in at the end, krauts can't take spicy.

Is there still that big Asian supermarket at the Hbf end of Lange Reihe? That place was a godsend.