Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

To be honest, I get it. If he holds a press conference, things will start on a sour note as he'll be bombarded by questions about restrictions on transfers, how comfortable he feels having no say in signings, whether he had to think twice because of the owner's reputation etc. There are no good answers to those questions in a live press conference, so don't put yourself in that position.

Aye, he'll get it all in his first presser anyway.

To be honest, I get it. If he holds a press conference, things will start on a sour note as he'll be bombarded by questions about restrictions on transfers, how comfortable he feels having no say in signings, whether he had to think twice because of the owner's reputation etc. There are no good answers to those questions in a live press conference, so don't put yourself in that position.

Perhaps, but couldn't they have Charnley preempt those questions with a statement. Then answer a couple of questions, have a wee handover where some he takes some Questions and leaves others to McClaren, then leaves so McClaren can talk about his ambition, his vision and all that?

That looks even worse "Steve won't be answering questions about the owner, his lack of control over signings, etc."

Ideally you wouldn't have these obstacles to a press conference, but it's a dismal start to the job if you have to answer those questions, and it gives the press instant headlines if you trip up in a response (and let's face it McClaren is not a charismatic bloke who will immediately have them eating out of his hand - he's not me, basically).

It's a bit grubby that they're having to control the message like this, but I think it's probably better than the alternative.

Aye, he'll get it all in his first presser anyway.

He's got an opportunity to give himself something to talk about between now and then though. Get some signings in etc, make some behind the scenes changes. First day in the job he hasn't got that.

That looks even worse "Steve won't be answering questions about the owner, his lack of control over signings, etc."

Ideally you wouldn't have these obstacles to a press conference, but it's a dismal start to the job if you have to answer those questions, and it gives the press instant headlines if you trip up in a response (and let's face it McClaren is not a charismatic bloke who will immediately have them eating out of his hand - he's not me, basically).

It's a bit grubby that they're having to control the message like this, but I think it's probably better than the alternative.

The image I have of you is very similar to McClaren but just in a yoga position. Is that not right then?

The image I have of you is very similar to McClaren but just in a yoga position. Is that not right then?

We both know that isn't true, DK. Fortunately my mindfulness levels are at an all time high, so I can just let comments like this wash over me. Don't say something like that to The Fish though, cos you'll still be here this time tomorrow trying to resolve matters.

We both know that isn't true, DK. Fortunately my mindfulness levels are at an all time high, so I can just let comments like this wash over me. Don't say something like that to The Fish though, cos you'll still be here this time tomorrow trying to resolve matters.

Tomorrow? You're optimistic there!

Steve McClaren has been appointed to the Newcastle board – in a takeover by the club's football brains.

The former England chief will not only be head coach – but also wield power alongside a new ruling committee – minus owner Mike Ashley.

The Sports Direct tycoon has stepped back from the running of the club he owns and has invested £240 million in.

And now McClaren, Chief Scout Graham Carr and club ambassador Bob Moncur have today been appointed to the board, alongside MD Lee Charnley.

Newcastle is the only club who have their head coach on the board – but the hierarchy reckons it is the best way to deliver success.

Charnley said in a statement released by the club: “This is a very positive step forward for the club and I am delighted that Steve, Graham and Bob will join me on the board.

“Graham and Bob’s passion for the club is beyond question and I believe given the collective skills, knowledge and experience, together, we are incredibly strong.

“Whilst, of course, we all have our individual primary duties, there is a huge common desire for the club as a whole to move forward and succeed.”

Charnley, 37, has worked at Newcastle United since 1999 and been on the board since 2008.

the hierarchy reckons it is the best way to deliver success

:lol: Yeah that's why we are the only football club in the world doing it.

I don't really get the point of this. If the strategy is going to stay as it is, then it's just a way of diluting the blame by appearing to add the head coach, scout and "beloved former player who is becoming less and less beloved by the minute" to the decision making process, but not allowing them to make any decisions. It also removes Ashley from the firing line (or so he thinks).

If the strategy is genuinely set to change (it isn't, as evidenced by this canny brutal decision which almost certainly hasn't been properly thought out), then it makes sense to have football people at an executive level providing support/advice to Charnley, as he's way out of his depth. But you would have somebody other than the manager himself surely. This just seems like a way of doing it on the cheap by not having to pay two separate people. It's the Wash n Go approach.

He has an incentive in his contract to win a cup. Hope that's true. Ambition will be a foreign approach. Now let's see if Ashley "bolts the cart on the horse" and starts the signings.

When it all, inevitably, goes pear shaped, will McClaren the Board member have to ring McClaren the coach to sack himself?

They haven't thought this through, have they?

They'll get Carver in on a zero hour contract to do it .