Given signs for Man City

Matty

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shay will improve them hart looked hopeless today, and nearly managed to give us an equaliser.

its strange cause hart burst onto the scene and looked good when sven made him the no.1, but he seems devoid of confidence. i guess shay will be a great person to learn from, especially about making the most of your strengths when you're a relatively small keeper

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear says Manchester City's offer of £5m for goalkeeper Shay Given is "insulting".

The 32-year-old Republic of Ireland international has been first-choice keeper at Newcastle for 12 years, but has made it clear he wants to leave.

"Irrespective of all the money I keep hearing, they've only offered £5m, not a penny more," said Kinnear.

"We think it's personally insulting to probably the best goalkeeper in the Premier League."

Kinnear said he would be "heartbroken" to lose Given, but refused to be drawn when asked how he would react to City returning with an increased offer.

"We're at a stalemate," said Kinnear.

"As far as I know, the chairman and the owner are very unhappy we've only been offered £5m.

"I don't want to lose him - I'm fighting a relegation battle, I want to keep every player and add to it, not lose it, but I really don't know."

On Tuesday, Newcastle keeper Steve Harper, who has invariably found himself as second choice behind Given, signed a new three-year deal with the club.

Given joined Newcastle in 1997 from Blackburn for £1.5m and had made 461 appearances for the Magpies.

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear says Manchester City's offer of £5m for goalkeeper Shay Given is "insulting".

The 32-year-old Republic of Ireland international has been first-choice keeper at Newcastle for 12 years, but has made it clear he wants to leave.

"Irrespective of all the money I keep hearing, they've only offered £5m, not a penny more," said Kinnear.

"We think it's personally insulting to probably the best goalkeeper in the Premier League."

Kinnear said he would be "heartbroken" to lose Given, but refused to be drawn when asked how he would react to City returning with an increased offer.

"As far as I know, the chairman and the owner are very unhappy we've only been offered £5m.

"I don't want to lose him - I'm fighting a relegation battle, I want to keep every player and add to it, not lose it, but I really don't know."

On Tuesday, Newcastle keeper Steve Harper, who has invariably found himself as second choice behind Given, signed a new three-year deal with the club.

Given joined Newcastle in 1997 from Blackburn for £1.5m and had made 461 appearances for the Magpies.

Thought the bid was 10m.

This is what happens when JK keeps telling the world we have no money.

Aye, good point that. Man City probably think, we've got a canny keeper already and we can go back for Given or go for a different target in the summer. I know they've got loads of money but they still don't need to go ott with their offer. That said, I think he'll go for about £8m on Monday. He won't play on Sunday either, will he?

This is what happens when JK keeps telling the world we have no money.

Aye, good point that. Man City probably think, we've got a canny keeper already and we can go back for Given or go for a different target in the summer. I know they've got loads of money but they still don't need to go ott with their offer. That said, I think he'll go for about £8m on Monday. He won't play on Sunday either, will he?

I'd have thought he'd be keen to play (especially against the mackems) and there's no conflict of interest like there was last night....but they'll not chance an injury fucking up the deal.

Hopefully he gets over that knee injury for our game this weekend.

To be serious though, if he goes(likely) and Harps gets injured. We're boned.

A strike force of Smith/Shola -Carroll

A midfield containing Duff-Geremi-Butt

A defence with Edgar and/or Taylor

That there is relegation stuff.

A lad on NO posted about 3 days ago that Given was furious that we aren't allowing him to leave for the current bid, and to "expect a mystery injury on Wednesday". If it's Shay swinging the lead, then he won't be playing on Sunday.

A lad on NO posted about 3 days ago that Given was furious that we aren't allowing him to leave for the current bid, and to "expect a mystery injury on Wednesday". If it's Shay swinging the lead, then he won't be playing on Sunday.

Fuck him, he signed the contract.

EDIT:

The swearing was aimed in Given's direction btw... :rolleyes:

Edited by Asprilla

What £5M can buy...

Jimmy Bullard

Luke Young

Valon Behrami

Dave Kitson

Steve Sidwell

You'd get a few hundred grand back with...

Nadir Belhadj

George McCartney

Bobby Zamora

They're havin' a larf.

SSN reporting that if he goes its probably going to be on the last day of the window :rolleyes:

I'm getting the feeling this is retribution for the "Cockney Mafia" thing.

The press interviews on Tuesday are just for them to shout from the rooftops "THIS! IS WHAT HAPPENS! WHEN YOU FUCK US! UP! THE! ARSE!"

handed a transfer request in this morning according to the beeb.

hopefully it read "i'll play in the Sunderland game with the agreement i'm sold after", this would be awesome and he would get an amazing send off from the crowd.

shame it wont happen!

If and when Shay goes I will not be surprised to see Kameni signing either now or on a bosman in the summer...

Who? Ayatollah Kameni?

Meant to be shi'ite anyway :rolleyes:

Been allowed to speak to Man City according to Sky, so looks like a fee has been agreed :rolleyes:

Could be a blessing in disguise as long as we haven't caved in and accepted the paltry figure originally being banded about.

If he's going to go i'd much rather it be now when the money we recieve could be reinvested instead of with minutes to go in the transfer window.

Been allowed to speak to Man City according to Sky, so looks like a fee has been agreed :rolleyes:

The way City haggle these days that'll take a while....

MH: How does 60 grand a week suit you?

SG: Well I was hoping for a little more..

MH: Ok then make it 120 grand a week?

SG: Thanks