Sol Campbell?

Different taking an arsenal legend though, compared with Arsenal taking one of their legends

er, that and being a “judas” for him leaving Spurs after 9 years to go to their rivals Arsenal at his peak.

The strangest thing about Sol quitting at his age is this:

“The Football League have also confirmed that Campbell will not be able to sign for another club until January following his departure from Meadow Lane.”

Thats what I meant man

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Cole has revealed that Sven-Goran Eriksson tried to persuade him to join Notts County alongside his former England and Portsmouth team-mate Sol Campbell. However the striker turned down the offer.

"I ran into Sven at the England game against Croatia a couple of weeks ago and he said: 'Andy, do you fancy coming to Notts County?'" claimed Cole in his column in The Independent. "I've known Sven for years, and the smile on his face made it a plausible offer but I can't be sure how serious he was because I cut him off straight away and said, 'No thanks'.

"When I stopped playing 10 months ago, that was it for me. Sven had complimented me earlier, saying, 'You're looking in good shape', and I know he was probably surprised that even a year after my last game, I look no different to when I was playing. I'm still going to the gym, I've kept in shape. But that 'no' was a genuine 'no', whatever the seriousness of Sven's offer. It's time for a new direction in my life."

Cole also claimed that Campbell's sudden departure from the club, newly financed by secretive owners Munto Finance, was as a result of broken promises over investment into the League Two side. The defender was promised greater spending on players, facilities and infrastructure, according to Cole.

"I can tell you that he left Notts County because of what he perceived as unkept promises," said Cole. "He bought into the whole County project, he really did, and I say that as someone who initially took the piss out of him for going there.

"He has now left County because he had been led to believe there would be major resources invested at Meadow Lane. That has not happened and Sol is not sure that it will."

Cole went on to add that he believed Campbell had been in talks with Aston Villa and Newcastle before signing a five year deal at Notts County.

However, yesterday, the defender walked out on that contract, reported to be worth £10m, after playing just one game. He will not be allowed to sign for another club until the January transfer window opens.

Nice one, Andy :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Mcparland sacked now.

I wonder what Sven's doing?

I doubt many people would be surprised if he ended up as manager. Looked fairly likely when he got his current job.

He said on the radio this morning that he's never met the owners, just their representatives but doesn't worry as everyone is being paid....

Pissing through an electric fence IYAM

• 3 weeks later...

Campbell keen on Newcastle deal

Sol Campbell

Campbell won 73 caps for England from 1996-2007

Sol Campbell has revealed he in interested in joining Newcastle.

The 35-year-old former England defender left League Two side Notts County last month after only one appearance and is now trying to find another club.

"Newcastle are a big club and could be heading back to the Premier League," he told ESPN Soccernet. "It appeals."

Campbell, who left Portsmouth in May, cannot join another team until County release his registration, which is the subject of ongoing negotiation.

The Meadow Lane club are refusing to release Campbell's registration so he can sign for another club until he agrees on a "statement of departure".

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor says County are keen to stop Campbell discussing matters relating to the club's ownership.

Campbell, who left County less than a month into a five-year deal, has been training with former employers Arsenal and is considering taking his case to a Football League tribunal.

He added: "I have been approached by several clubs, and yes, it is correct to say that Newcastle are one of them.

"People might be surprised to hear me say that I would be very interested in a move there, but I have my reasons.

"I have spoken with Gordon Taylor and he will impress upon the League the urgency of the case and try to make a tribunal hearing a priority. If we can sort it all out at the tribunal I would hope to be playing within weeks from now.

"I am training every day with Arsenal, feel fit - as fit as ever - and now I really need some matches. But, to sort out the mess at Notts County, a Football League tribunal seems to be the only way out."

If it comes off I think it will be an excellent signing, yes he may not have the legs anymore. But he's a very intelligent bloke and his experience will be invaluable. Especially if Taylor stays, as well as for the likes of Kadar too. He would be a good role model both on an off the pitch for our younger players and seems the type who would willingly stay behind/put in that bit of extra effort to help out the young lads too. A top calibre centre half in his time and one of the best England has had over the last couple of decades, can't remember him ever letting this country down, or if he did it was very rare.

Also think this move for Sol wouldn't be about the money as we could only afford to pay him a fraction of what he was on at Pompey but more about him being happy in life itself, which is something he has always valued, especially after the death of his father. What with him buying that estate in Northumberland, it does make sense if he wants to wind down his career with his girlfriend and live in comfort in lovely Northumberland. Would be a shrewd signing by whoever is making the decisions. I just hope it comes off, such a shame Roeder never thought that when we could have got him originally.

Posted this around the time when we were linked with him. Still echo those sentiments.