General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the grammar wrong though, there's no Eton there!

You do know that Labour and Lib Dem MP's went to Eton also? :(

Brown didn't, in fact, looking it up Browns school life is actually quite interesting

hopez.png

see that thing in the top left? it says "the sun"

are you honestly posting this as a credible source of tory support?

Cringe worthy from the Sun.

If anything it'll just make people shit themselves at the thought of the Conservatives getting in and some wont deem it reasonable to risk their vote on the Liberal Democrats and will just vote Labour!

hopez.png

see that thing in the top left? it says "the sun"

are you honestly posting this as a credible source of tory support?

Shakes head.......Youth of today :(

I was posting it because over the years, The sun (Britains biggest selling newspaper) has traditionally produced some very good election day front pages and likes to think of itself as king maker.

They have included such treasures as....

SunKinnock390-7712.jpg

4294697871_352a17e482_o.jpg

SunBlair390-9186.jpg

Tonights political thoughts.

Apparently only 100 seats matter tomorrow and out of the 10's of millions who will vote, as little as 20,000 people will decide the outcome.

Dont like the idea that Nick Clegg could end up choosing the next prime minister (regardless of whether its Brown or Cameron). It shouldnt be decided by one vote.

Most important of all, the talk in the last few days has all been about the pain that is going to follow. Commentators reckon that all three parties have so far only owned up to about 20% of the cuts that are needed to start to tackle the defecit problem. Once the election is over the true savage cuts will need to be revealed.

Not only will this make Thursdays winners pariahs and unelectable for a generation, it could also lead to mass public unrest, the like of which we have not seen before, even during the poll tax riots.

You have mentioned some of the problem of the voting system, and yet Call me Dave wants to keep it, as it provides a 'strong government', and will not talk of any reforms. All the polls have pointed towards a hung parliament, and yet Cameron wants to stick with the current system.

I agree that it is a very good election to lose, and if I was Clegg, I'd play the long game, and let the Tories lead a minority government and take the economic bullet. Then hammer it home after the Conservatives become as popular as Gary Glitter in a primary school. Labour will be too busy trying to fuck themselves or rebuilding for the next year or two at least.

While it has its problems it still seems better than PR. Apparently (and Parky might know better) Germany has PR and each election is decided by the Liberal party and not the voters. (as such)

That is incorrect. The German constitution states that there has to be a coalition government, a reaction to the 1930' and 1940's. They use a form of Additional Member System whereby the Reichstag has a certain number elected in constituencies, and it is 'topped up' by MPs elected according to the % of the votes nationally. The effect of this has been that the German government has been stable for as long as I can remember. The Christian Democrats provided a strong government under Helmut Kohl, and was succeeded by a popular Social Democrat/Green coalition under Gerhard Shroeder. Angela Merkel led a 'Grand Coalition' between the Christian and Social Democrats when they had a similar situation to what we face. That is no mean feat as the two parties have been the two main opponents in elections.

There are many different ways of voting, and the First Past The Post system is the least representative. Labour won a majority of 62 in 2005, despite only getting around 1/3 of the votes. Is that Democracy? John Major recieved about 1 million more votes in 1992 than Blair in 1997. Major's majority was around 30, whilst Blair's was 179.

God I fucking hate the Murdoch press, and The Sun in particular.

aye, sickening the whole machine. Off with their fucking heads.

Watched George Osbourne in a few interviews over the 24 hours......Absolutely weak as piss and needs taking for a walk in the woods.

Would you sub him for Darling or Cable?

As I'm not a natural Tory I wouldn't know who Osbourne's replacement would be within the party.

However, I do know the former nanny to David Cameron's kids likes golden showers. :(

Watched George Osbourne in a few interviews over the 24 hours......Absolutely weak as piss and needs taking for a walk in the woods.

As I'm not a natural Tory I wouldn't know who Osbourne's replacement would be within the party.

However, I do know the former nanny to David Cameron's kids likes golden showers. :(

Well with his inheritance I'm sure he could afford one for her.

oh...

p.s. CT you're incredible. Truly.

That's swung it for me, cheers Billy.

whatever happens, i hope the next 4 or 5 years will be better than the last.

Why do you say that? You said a few weeks ago that you'd personally done well over the last decade. Anyway, regardless of who wins, the good times are over for the moment for virtually everyone.

I've voted. It's raining - not good for Labour turnout.

Oh aye, that Sun headline and graphic is cringeworthy. Comparing Cameron and OBama ffs, especially after the former called the latter a 'lightweight'. :(

Edited by Renton

That's swung it for me, cheers Billy.

All part of the service :(. I only know this as she is a friend of mine from when I lived in Bedford. And before you ask, no I didn't. She seemed slightly surprised when I said that really wasn't my sort of thing.

As for George Osbourne, there's something about him that seems translucent and brittle, like he needs to eat more red meat and stop sleeping in a crypt. Maybe its the very pale skin, and the posh boy persona.

Edited by Billy Castell

I voted a few days back. I certainly don't make my choice by a couple of popularity contents such were the debates. Equally I try not to let the person influence my vote as if that was the case I'd never vote at all. What I do know is that whoever gets in it's going to be somewhat a poisoned chalace. It's going to be a very tough few years ahead and whoever gets in has to start making cuts and reducing debt. I reckon we'll see VAT at 20% before the end of this year.

If the Tories do win a working majority it will be interesting to see how long their supporters give them before they expect this "change". Daily Hitler favorites like crime and benefit culture where problems do exist imo have their roots in Thatcher's time so I'll bet we'll soon see a similar argument applied about how it will take a while to solve 13 years of inherited problems.

A light aircraft carrying Nigel Farrage has crashed according to Sky News.

I hope he's okay. The last think we want is those cunts getting the sympathy vote because some closet bigot has shuffled off this mortal coil.

A light aircraft carrying Nigel Farrage has crashed according to Sky News.

I hope he's okay. The last think we want is those cunts getting the sympathy vote because some closet bigot has shuffled off this mortal coil.

Not on BBC yet. I feel a bit ashamed saying this but I can't muster an inch of compassion for this man :(. Any sympathy vote he gnerates will come from the tories in any case (not that I think it would have any bearing).