What mood are you in and why?

catmag

Absolutely spot on; exactly like Spider man I was forced to see last weekend. No chance am I going to see this. I just don't see the appeal of these Super Hero films for adults. They all have EXACTLY the same shit plot.

I assume you don't watch horror movies, rom-coms, "coming of age" movies, action movies, etc.

You don't watch most Super Hero movies for the plot, you mong. You watch it for the set pieces, the guilty pleasure of letting your inner kid out. The Avengers movie was as close to the fun I had the first time I saw an Indiana Jones, an original Star Wars or a Back to the Future I've come to at the cinema since.

However if you think Nolan's Batman movies have the same plot as your Supermans or your Spidermans you've only looked at their surface.

In general Fish I don't enjoy any film with excessive CGI - to me that's a canny surrogate marker of a fim's shitness. And I resent paying over a tenner to see any of the genres you've listed in any case (in reality over 30 quid for a family). Gemmil's synopsis was spot on for Spider man, which also received positive reviews from the geek community and beyond, even though it was essentially a remake of a superior film not yet 10 years old.

In general Fish I don't enjoy any film with excessive CGI - to me that's a canny surrogate marker of a fim's shitness. And I resent paying over a tenner to see any of the genres you've listed in any case (in reality over 30 quid for a family). Gemmil's synopsis was spot on for Spider man, which also received positive reviews from the geek community and beyond, even though it was essentially a remake of a superior film not yet 10 years old.

So what movies do you pay to see at a cinema? Drama? Thriller? The whole point of going to a cinema, for me, is to immerse myself in something spectacular. I'm not going to pay £15 to sit and watch a thought provoking piece of film that I'd enjoy a hell of a lot more without the rustle of sweets, the shifting of people and the occasional cough.

Epics, Action, Adventure movies = cinema

Comedy, Drama, Thriller movies = home

Also, re the bit in bold, the later Spiderman movie is much better than the Toby Maguire one, if only for the lack of Toby Maguire's whiny spastic Peter Parker. Garfield's version of Spiderman is sarcastic and... heroic and his alter ego isn't half as pathetic. With Maguire, I kept expecting him to pull this face whenever he got punched.

tumblr_m63h3uUh5l1r3t7iv.gif

Plots and original ideas for films tend to be few and far between these days. Avengers was decidedly average to me. Enjoyed iron man and batman begins a lot more.

We need more Goonies and big trouble in little chinas! A film doesn't need to cost 200mil and be 3 hours long to be good.

Saying that I heard Pixars cars made 600 million at the cinema but more importantly made 10 billion in merchandise!

So what movies do you pay to see at a cinema? Drama? Thriller? The whole point of going to a cinema, for me, is to immerse myself in something spectacular. I'm not going to pay £15 to sit and watch a thought provoking piece of film that I'd enjoy a hell of a lot more without the rustle of sweets, the shifting of people and the occasional cough.

Epics, Action, Adventure movies = cinema

Comedy, Drama, Thriller movies = home

Also, re the bit in bold, the later Spiderman movie is much better than the Toby Maguire one, if only for the lack of Toby Maguire's whiny spastic Peter Parker. Garfield's version of Spiderman is sarcastic and... heroic and his alter ego isn't half as pathetic. With Maguire, I kept expecting him to pull this face whenever he got punched.

tumblr_m63h3uUh5l1r3t7iv.gif

You and Andrew should take this to PM tbh :lol: It's not worth getting upset that grown men didn't enjoy spiderman at the pictures

You and Andrew should take this to PM tbh :lol: It's not worth getting upset that grown men didn't enjoy spiderman at the pictures

I can't deny I'm a superhero-fanboy, but to be bothered about a plot when youy're watching a film which has, as it's central premise, the notion that a boy can be bitten by a spider and because of that he develops the ability to stick to walls, become super strong and have increased reflexes... I don't know. It'd be like complaining that the Delorean was poorly constructed and would most likely fall apart at 88mph...

you're missing the point of the movie.

re: your point about spending billions doesn't mean the movie will be good. I agree, too much is made of a projects dollar value and not enough is about making a good film. Hence so many films being watered down so that they can sneak into the PG12/15 market rather than the prohibitive 18 certificate group.

I agree about the Spider Man films however both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are a cut above any superhero films that have been out in the same time period.

Renton, have you ever seen a Nolan movie before? Christopher Nolan that is, who prefers to avoid the use of CGI? :lol: I'll bet you've seen 2 superhero films.

The last Spiderman was better than the Raimi films for me and I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best film ever to have been committed to the silver screen but it's a decent adaptation of the comic. I really hope they do a proper venom storyline as it could be brilliant, unlike the debacle that was Spiderman 3.

Batman Begins and the Dark Knight were very accomplished films, they're good films that just happen to be about superheroes at the same time. The next one will be more of the same and I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow night.

Does Nolan also have something to do with the Man of Steel film that's out next year? That's definitely a franchise that needs freshening up as Superman Returns was fucking piss poor.

Does Nolan also have something to do with the Man of Steel film that's out next year? That's definitely a franchise that needs freshening up as Superman Returns was fucking piss poor.

Have you read the whole saga involved with the superman films!?

Proposal for fifth film

Before the failure of Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, Cannon Films considered producing a fifth film with Albert Pyun as director. Cannon's bankruptcy resulted in the film rights reverting back to Ilya and Alexander Salkind.[7] Ilya Salkind wrote the story for Superman V (also known as Superman: The New Movie) with Superboy writers Cary Bates and Mark Jones in the early-1990s.[1]The story had Superman dying and resurrecting in the shrunken, bottled Krypton city of Kandor. The premise of Superman's death and rebirth coincidentally predated "The Death of Superman". Salkind, Bates and Jones developed two drafts of the script, with Christopher Reeve set to reprise the title role.[1]

[edit]Other proposals

[edit]Superman Reborn

"In any good Superman movie, the fate of the whole planet should be at stake. You've got to have villains whose powers and abilities demand that Superman (and only Superman) can be the one who stops them. That's the only way to make the movie exciting and a dramatic challenge."

—Writer Jonathan Lemkin on writing Superman Reborn

[8]

With the success of "The Death of Superman" comic book storyline, Warner Bros. purchased the film rights of Superman from the Salkinds in early 1993, handing the project to producer Jon Peters. The studio did not want to use Superman: The New Movie, and Peters hired Jonathan Lemkin to write a new script. Warner Bros. instructed Lemkin to write the new Superman film for mainstream audiences, a style for the MTV Generation of the 1990s. The additional family film approach would add to Superman's toyetic appeal, similar to Batman Forever. Major toy companies insisted on seeing Lemkin's screenplay before the deadline of the American International Toy Fair.[8]

Lemkin's script, titled Superman Reborn, featured Lois Lane and Clark Kent with relationship troubles, and Superman's battle with Doomsday. When Superman professes his love to Lois, his life force jumps between them, just as he dies, giving Lois a virgin birth. Their child, who grows 21-years-old in three weeks, becomes the resurrected Superman, and saves the world. Warner Bros. did not like the script because of the similar underlying themes with Bruce Wayne's obligations of heroism found in Batman Forever.[9]

Peters hired Gregory Poirier to rewrite the script.[8] Poirer's December 1995 script had Brainiac creating Doomsday, infused with "Kryptonite blood". Superman has romance problems with Lois Lane, and visits a psychiatrist before he is killed by Doomsday. An alien named Cadmus, a victim of Brainiac, steals his corpse. Superman is resurrected and teams with Cadmus to defeat Brainiac. Powerless, Superman wears a robotic suit that mimics his old powers until he can learn to use his powers again on his own, which, according to the script, are a mental discipline called "Phin-yar", a concept similar to The Force. Other villains included Parasite and Silver Banshee.[7] Poirier's script impressed Warner Bros.,[9] but Kevin Smith was hired to rewrite.[10] Smith thought Poirier's script did not respect the Superman comic book properly.[8]

[edit]Superman Lives

Kevin Smith pitched Peters his story outline in August 1996, and was allowed to write the screenplay under three conditions. Peters wanted Superman to wear an all-black suit,[8] and also did not want Superman to fly,[8] arguing that Superman would "look like an overgrown Boy Scout."[7] Smith wrote Superman flying as "a red-and-blue blur in flight, creating a sonic boom every time he flew."[11] Peters also wanted Superman to fight a giant spider for the climactic showdown. Smith accepted the terms, realizing that he was being hired to execute a pre-ordained idea.[8] Peters and Warner Bros. also had Smith write a scene involving Brainiac fighting polar bears at the Fortress of Solitude, and Peters wanted Brainiac to give Lex Luthor a space dog, stating "Chewie's cuddly, man. You could make a toy out of him, so you've got to give me a dog."[10] Peters' additional Star Wars similarities were due to the recent re-release of the original Star Wars trilogy, such as Peters' insistence that Brainiac's robot assistant L-Ron was to be voiced by Dwight Ewell, calling the character, "a gay R2-D2 with attitude."[10] Peters was able to recycle his giant spider idea in Wild Wild West, a film he produced.[8]

Smith's draft (titled Superman Lives) had Brainiac sending Doomsday to kill Superman, as well as blocking out the sun to make Superman powerless, as Superman is fueled by sunlight. Brainiac teams with Lex Luthor, but Superman is resurrected by a Kryptonian robot, The Eradicator. Brainiac wishes to possess The Eradicator and its technology. Powerless, the resurrected Superman is sheathed in armor formed from The Eradicator itself until his powers return, courtesy of sunbeams, and defeats Brainiac.[11] Smith's casting choices included Ben Affleck as Clark Kent / Superman, Linda Fiorentino as Lois Lane, Jack Nicholson as Lex Luthor, Famke Janssen as Mercy, John Mahoney as Perry White, David Hyde Pierce as The Eradicator, Jason Lee as Brainiac and Jason Mewes as Jimmy Olsen.[12]

Robert Rodriguez was offered the chance to direct, but turned down the offer due to his commitment on The Faculty, despite liking Smith's script.[8] Smith originally suggested Tim Burton to direct his script,[10] and Burton signed on with a pay or play contract of $5 million. Warner Bros. fast tracked production and set the theatrical release date in the summer of 1998, the 60th anniversary of the character's debut in Action Comics.[9] Nicolas Cage, a comic book fan, signed on as Superman with a $20 million pay or play contract, believing he could "re-conceive the character."[8] Peters felt Cage could "convince audiences he [superman] came from outer space."[13] Burton explained Cage's casting would be "the first time you would believe that nobody could recognize Clark Kent as Superman, he [Cage] could physically change his persona."[14] Kevin Spacey was approached for the role of Lex Luthor,[14] while Tim Allen claimed he was in talks for Brainiac,[15] a role heavily considered for Jim Carrey.[10] Courteney Cox was reported as a casting possibility for Lois Lane, while Smith confirmed Chris Rock was set for Jimmy Olsen.[15] Michael Keaton confirmed his involvement, but when asked if he would be reprising his role as Batman from Burton's Batman films, he would only reply, "Not exactly."[16] Industrial Light & Magic was set for work on special effects.[8]

Filming was originally set to begin in early-1998.[17] In June 1997, Superman Lives entered pre-production,[8] with an art department employed under production designer Rick Heinrichs.[14] Burton decided to hire Wesley Strick to completely rewrite Smith's script. In return, Smith was overtly disappointed: "The studio was happy with what I was doing. Then Tim Burton got involved, and when he signed his pay-or-play deal, he turned around and said he wanted to do his version of Superman. So who is Warner Bros. going back to? The guy who made Clerks, or the guy who made them half a billion dollars on Batman?"[8] When Strick read Smith's script, he was annoyed with the fact that "Superman was accompanied/shadowed by someone/something called The Eradicator."[8]He also felt that "Brainiac's evil plot of launching a disk in space to block out the sun and make Superman powerless was reminiscent of an episode of The Simpsons, with Mr. Burns doing the Brainiac role."[8] However, after reading The Death and Return of Superman, Strick was able to understand some of the elements of Smith's script. Strick's rewrite featured Superman as anexistentialist, thinking of himself to be an outsider on Earth. Superman is threatened by Brainiac and Lex Luthor, who later amalgamate into "Lexiac," described by Strick as "a schizo/scary mega-villain."[8] Superman is later resurrected by the power of 'K,' a natural force representing the spirit of Krypton, as he defeats Lexiac.[8]

Art designer Sylvain Despretz claimed the art department was assigned to create something that had little or nothing to do with the Superman comic book, and also explained that Peters "would bring kids in, who would rate the drawings on the wall as if they were evaluating the toy possibilities. It was basically a toy show!"[8] Peters saw a cover of National Geographic, containing a picture of a skull, going to art department workers, telling them he wanted the design for Brainiac's space ship to have the same image. Burton gave Despretz a concept drawing for Brainiac, which Despretz claims was "a cone with a round ball on top, and something that looked like a emaciated skull inside. Imagine you take Merlin's hat, and you stick a fish bowl on top, with a skull in it."[8] Concept artist Rolf Mohr said in an interview he designed a suit for The Eradicator for a planned scene in which it transforms into a flying vehicle.[18]

"We got the Kevin Smith script, but we were told not to read it, because they knew he wasn't going to stay on the movie. So we used Kevin Smith's script as a guide to the sets we might be doing, and we waited and waited for the new script to come in, but it never did."

—Art designer Sylvain Despretz on designing Superman Lives

[8]

Burton chose Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania as his primary filming location for Metropolis,[8] while sound stages were reserved[8] but start dates for filming were pushed back.[9] A minor piece of the Krypton set was constructed but then destroyed, and Cage had even attended a costume fitting.[19] The studio was also considering changing the title Superman Lives back to Superman Reborn.[20] Deeming Wesley Strick's script too expensive, Warner Bros. enlisted the help of Dan Gilroy to rewrite it into something more economically feasible. Gilroy lowered the $190 million budget set by Strick's draft to $100 million. However, the studio was still less willing to fast track production, due to financial reasons with other film properties,[21] having Gilroy turn in two drafts.[22] Ultimately, Warner Bros. chose to put the film on hold in April 1998, and Burton left to directSleepy Hollow.[9] At this point in production, $30 million was spent, with nothing to show for it.[8] To this day, Burton has depicted the experience of Superman Lives as one of the worst experiences in his life, citing various differences with Peters and the studio, stating, "I basically wasted a year. A year is a long time to be working with somebody that you don't really want to be working with."[23]

Disappointed by the lack of progress on the film's production, aspiring screenwriter/comic book fan Alex Ford was able to have a script of his (titled Superman: The Man of Steel) accepted at the studio's offices in September 1998. Ford pitched his idea for a film series consisting of seven installments, and his approach impressed Warner Bros. and Peters, though he was later given a farewell due to creative differences.[7] On the experience, Ford quoted, "I can tell you they don't know much about comics. Their audience isn't you and me who pay $7.00. It's for the parents who spend $60 on toys and lunchboxes. It is a business, and what's more important, the $150 million at the box office or the $600 million in merchandising?"[22]

With Gilroy's script, Peters offered the director's position to Ralph Zondag,[8] Michael Bay, Shekhar Kapur and Martin Campbell though they all turned down the offer.[7] Brett Ratner turned down the option in favor of The Family Man.[24] Simon West and Stephen Norrington were reportedly top contenders as well.[25] In June 1999, William Wisher Jr. was hired to write a new script, andNicolas Cage assisted on story elements.[26] Cage dropped out of the project entirely in June 2000,[27] while Wisher turned in a new script in August 2000, reported to have contained similar elements with The Matrix.[7] In October 2000, veteran comic book creator Keith Giffen pitched a 17-page story treatment with Lobo as the main villain, but the studio did not proceed with further involvement.[8] Oliver Stone was then approached to direct Wisher's script, but declined,[7] while in April 2001, Paul Attanasio was hired to completely start on a new script, earning a salary of $1.7 million.[8] Peters offered Will Smith the role of Superman, but the actor turned it down over ethnicity concerns.[28]

[edit]Batman vs. Superman

Although it was widely reported that McG had become attached to Attanasio's script, in February 2002, J. J. Abrams was hired to write a new screenplay. It would ignore "The Death of Superman" storyline, and instead, it would reboot the film series with an origin story,[29] going under the title of Superman: Flyby.[7] The project had gone as far as being greenlit, but McG dropped out in favor of Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.[30] The studio approached Wolfgang Petersen to direct Abrams' script;[31] however, in August 2001,[32] Andrew Kevin Walker pitched Warner Bros. an idea titledBatman vs. Superman, attaching Petersen as director. Abrams' script was put on hold,[31] while Akiva Goldsman was hired to rewrite Walker's draft which was codenamed Asylum.[33]

Goldsman's draft, dated June 21, 2002, introduced Bruce Wayne attempting to shake all of the demons in his life after his five year retirement of crimefighting. Dick Grayson, Alfred Pennyworthand Commissioner Gordon are all dead. Meanwhile, Clark Kent is down on his luck and in despair after his divorce from Lois Lane. Clark serves as Bruce's best man at his wedding to the beautiful and lovely Elizabeth Miller. After Elizabeth is killed by the Joker at the honeymoon, Bruce is forced to don the Batsuit once more, tangling a plot which involves Lex Luthor, while Clark begins a romance with Lana Lang in Smallville and tries to pull Bruce back. In return, Bruce blames Clark for her death, and the two go against one another. Part of the script took place in Smallville, where Clark goes into exile with Lana Lang. However, Lex Luthor is held to be responsible for the entire plot of Batman and Superman destroying each other. The two decide to team up and stop Luthor.[34] Petersen had mentioned Matt Damon when stating what type of an actor he was looking for either of the two roles.[33] Inspired by Tobey Maguire's performance in Spider-Man (2002), Petersen was searching for actors who "can really act and give complexity and emotions, but would have the fun of being a great superhero and maybe pump up a little bit." Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell, James Franco, Jude Law and Paul Walker were reportedly considered for either of the two roles as Batman and Superman.[31] Christian Bale, who would play the character in Batman Begins, was simultaneously approached to portray Batman for Darren Aronofsky's Batman: Year One,[35] while Josh Hartnett was offered the role of Superman.[30]

Filming was to start in early 2003, with plans for a five to six month shoot. The release date was set for the summer of 2004.[36] However, Warner Bros. canceled development to focus on individual Superman and Batman projects after Abrams submitted another draft for Superman: Flyby.[33] According to Petersen "[Warner Bros.' chief] Alan Horn was so torn, because it's such a fascinating concept to do a Batman versus Superman film."[37] Petersen still has expressed interest in directing Batman vs. Superman sometime in the future (with Bale as Batman),[38] as hasBryan Singer.[39] In the opening scene of I Am Legend, a large banner displays the Superman symbol within the Batman symbol in Times Square. It is meant as an in-joke by writer Akiva Goldsman, who wrote scripts for Batman vs. Superman and I Am Legend.[40]

[edit]Superman: Flyby

Turning in his script in July 2002, J. J. Abrams' Superman: Flyby was an origin story that included Krypton besieged by a civil war between Jor-El and his corrupt brother, Kata-Zor. Before Kata-Zor sentences Jor-El to prison, Kal-El is launched to Earth to fulfill a prophecy. Adopted by Jonathan and Martha Kent, he forms a romance with Lois Lane in the Daily Planet. However, Lois is more concerned with exposing Lex Luthor, written as a government agent obsessed with UFO phenomena. Clark reveals himself to the world as Superman, bringing Kata-Zor's son, Ty-Zor, and three other Kryptonians to Earth. Superman is defeated and killed, and visits Jor-El (who committed suicide on Krypton while in prison) in Kryptonian heaven. Resurrected, he returns to Earth and defeats the four Kryptonians, while the script ends with Superman off to Krypton, leaving a cliffhanger for a sequel.[7]

Brett Ratner was hired to direct in September 2002, originally expressing an interest in casting an unknown for the lead role, while filming was to start sometime in late 2003.[41] Ratner approached Josh Hartnett and Jude Law as Superman, but conceded that finding a famous actor for the title role had proven difficult because of contractual obligations to appear in sequels. "No star wants to sign that, but as much as I've told Jude and Josh my vision for the movie, I've warned them of the consequences of being Superman. They'll live this character for 10 years because I'm telling one story over three movies and plan to direct all three if the first is as successful as everyone suspects."[42] Hartnett was offered $100 million for a three-picture deal, but turned down the offer.[43] Although Superman: Flyby was being met with a budget exceeding $200 million (not including money spent on Superman Reborn, Superman Lives and Batman vs. Superman), the studio was still adamant for a summer 2004 release date.[30] Christopher Walken was in negotiations for Perry White, while Ratner expressed an interest in casting Anthony Hopkins as Jor-El, and Ralph Fiennes as Lex Luthor (two of his cast members in Red Dragon).[44][45]

Christopher Reeve was to be a project consultant, citing Tom Welling, who portrayed the teenage Clark Kent in Smallville as an ideal candidate. Reeve added "the character is more important than the actor who plays him, because it is an enduring mythology. It definitely should be an unknown."[46] In addition Paul Walker was offered the role,[7] while Ashton Kutcher screen tested[42] andBrendan Fraser and Matthew Bomer auditioned.[30] Kutcher decided not to accept the role, citing scheduling conflicts with That '70s Show and the Superman curse, as well as typecasting.[47]Jerry O'Connell expressed interest for the role,[47] while David Boreanaz auditioned, but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts with Angel.[48] Victor Webster did an entire screentest that included wardrobe as both Clark Kent and Superman,[48] while James Marsden met with director Brett Ratner.[48][49] Joel Edgerton (who turned down the chance to audition as Superman) auditioned for Ty-Zor, before Ratner dropped out of the project in March 2003, blaming casting difficulties,[50] and violent disagreements with Jon Peters.[51]

McG returned as director, while Fraser expressed interest, but had fears of typecasting.[52] Selma Blair was in talks for Lois Lane,[53] while ESC Entertainment was hired for visual effects work, with Kim Libreri as visual effects supervisor and Stan Winston designing a certain "prototype suit".[54] McG approached Shia LaBeouf for Jimmy Olsen, with an interest to cast an unknown for Superman, Scarlett Johansson as Lois Lane and Johnny Depp for Lex Luthor.[55] Neal H. Moritz and Gilbert Adler were set to produce the film. McG also commissioned Josh Schwartz to rewrite the Abrams script. He wanted to shoot in Canada, which would have cost $25 million more than WB's preferred Australian locale. McG also shot test footage with several candidates, includingJason Behr, Henry Cavill, Jared Padalecki[43] and Michael Cassidy[56] before dropping, blaming budgetary concerns and filming locations. He opted to shoot in New York City and Canada, but Warner Bros. wanted Sydney, Australia. McG felt "it was inappropriate to try to capture the heart of America on another continent."[57] He later admitted it was his fear of flying.[58] Abrams lobbied for the chance to direct his script,[59] but Warner Bros. replaced McG with Bryan Singer in July 2004, resulting in Superman Returns.[60]

I can't deny I'm a superhero-fanboy, but to be bothered about a plot when youy're watching a film which has, as it's central premise, the notion that a boy can be bitten by a spider and because of that he develops the ability to stick to walls, become super strong and have increased reflexes... I don't know. It'd be like complaining that the Delorean was poorly constructed and would most likely fall apart at 88mph...

you're missing the point of the movie.

re: your point about spending billions doesn't mean the movie will be good. I agree, too much is made of a projects dollar value and not enough is about making a good film. Hence so many films being watered down so that they can sneak into the PG12/15 market rather than the prohibitive 18 certificate group.

That's simply shite though. I'm perfectly willing to suspend belief (e.g I loved LotR) but what has that got to do with a strong narrative? The Back to the Future trilogy had a superb storyline and was backed up with a lot of humour. Someting every super hero film I've seen has been missing.

Renton, have you ever seen a Nolan movie before? Christopher Nolan that is, who prefers to avoid the use of CGI? :lol: I'll bet you've seen 2 superhero films.

The last Spiderman was better than the Raimi films for me and I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best film ever to have been committed to the silver screen but it's a decent adaptation of the comic. I really hope they do a proper venom storyline as it could be brilliant, unlike the debacle that was Spiderman 3.

Batman Begins and the Dark Knight were very accomplished films, they're good films that just happen to be about superheroes at the same time. The next one will be more of the same and I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow night.

I've seen dozens of super hero films. The idea was quite fresh some 10 years ago but seriously has been done to death now.

Did Nolan do Batman begins? Cos, personally of course, I thought that was shit too. Is there some metaphor here I'm not getting? HF?!

To answer this btw, and cos it's relevant to the thread title, I like films in the cinema that make me feel something. That could be any of the genres you've mentioned be it invoking excitement, adrenaline, fear, wonderment, laughter, or other emotions. If watching Batman does this to you fair enough, it's just not for me.

Not seen it mentioned but the reason the spiderman was made and rebooted despite it not being all that long since the maguire films is all down to rights

Marvel Studios (Disney) own the movie rights to all of the avengers characters which is why their continuity is all one big universe

Spiderman is owned by Sony, Xmen are owned by 20th Century Fox (there are some wierd "mutant" clauses in that deal btw) but both properties have clauses involved stating that if they go unused for too long the rights default back to Marvel Studios for free.

So essentially this Spiderman film and Xmen first class were only put into the pipeline to avoid losing a potentially lucrative IP for nothing

this is why Spiderman and the Xmen never got mentioned in the Avengers movies

they will do, it'll be a different batman altogether though in the lead up to a Justice League film (which I would love to see made)

I'm hopeful of a green lantern restart more than the rest though, theres a lot of potential in the IP that was completely wasted in the Reynolds one

Batman is the only really engaging DC hero for me. I've watched the Superman movies, and the Green Lantern one, but honestly? DC heroes are always over powered. Superman is, to all intents and purposes, a God. His nemesis? an evil businessman... I just can't see a Justice League movie working. Batman is doable, Green Arrow... maybe, but how the fuck are they going to tie in whiter than white, holier than thou Superman to the Dark Knight? They'll have to reboot Batman and make him more plastic, more soft. Despite Nolan, imo, nailing it.

It'd be like if they'd got someone else to play the Joker after Ledger nailed it. Just won't work.

Honestly, Renton, I think you are missing the various metaphors. Partly because they're more apparent to people who've more than a passing interest in the genre, but also because you feel a little silly reading more into what you look at as a kids movie. (That's not a criticism btw, just like plenty of people won't look at the allegories in Miyazaki movies because it looks like an animation for children)

There's no one right or wrong about this. Different people like different things. I can't stand all the CGI and the prolonged fight scenes in these superhero movies, but clearly others think they're great.

Went out to the park with my two daughters about dinner time and just back in the house now as my eldest who's nearly ten fell off the monkeybars and badly broke two bones in her arm. Not quite David Busst style but not far off it. I knew it was broke straight away as her forearm was in the shape of a banana. Straight to hospital, morphine and an operation later she's sitting up in bed and her Mam is staying over with her tonight as she had some screws put in the bones. What a fucking day and what a super, brave girl she is, never cried once.

The joys of parenthood!

Went out to the park with my two daughters about dinner time and just back in the house now as my eldest who's nearly ten fell off the monkeybars and badly broke two bones in her arm. Not quite David Busst style but not far off it. I knew it was broke straight away as her forearm was in the shape of a banana. Straight to hospital, morphine and an operation later she's sitting up in bed and her Mam is staying over with her tonight as she had some screws put in the bones. What a fucking day and what a super, brave girl she is, never cried once.

The joys of parenthood!

Bless her. That's a typical night at work for me, especially in the school holidays. There's always a bairn who has fallen off the climbing frame/trampoline/bike who has nasty wrist and arm breaks. Trouble is, they spend the rest of the holidays in plaster!

Hope she's on the mend soon. Which hospital was she at?