What's for lunch that's interesting or a bit different and isn't just a ham sandwich or some beetroot

wykikitoon

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure PL had at least one 'chocolate' IPA or stout in the crows nest as well as other guest ales.

You wouldn't have got that in The Bird's Nest.

I'm sure PL had at least one 'chocolate' IPA or stout in the crows nest as well as other guest ales.

Good day that, after you left we went to Raffertys (cider) and Forth (Sierra Nevada) :D

Del-Boy_1097.jpg

:lol:

Last time I was up the Bacchus had some decent ales on, but it's an odd pub.

Think it's a canny pub. Lacks pretensions which always helps. Bit of an old fart's bar, but I'm an old fart.

http://balhambowlsclub.com/

You'd like it here....

http://4pinesbeer.com.au/venues/manly/

Aye and it's a boozy one. :good:

In 2016? That's an achievement. Lunchtime drinking at work was never the same for me after I worked at Aldermaston in 1990...some were doing four bottles of diamond white cider then returning to continue machining nuclear warheads out of solid lumps of plutonium. I realised that I was a fuckin amateur really :lol:

Think it's a canny pub. Lacks pretensions which always helps. Bit of an old fart's bar, but I'm an old fart.

That pub I linked to above (the Balham Bowls Club) is surprisingly lacking in pretension as well. I mean, there's a lot of worn down Barbour jackets, thick knit jumpers and overbites. That's South West London though. :dunno:

To be honest if you like your ales, you're really were served round my neck of the woods and while there are a few pubs that are filled with arseholes in Gilets and chinos of a dangerous hue, there's very few properly shoreditch wankers.

In 2016? That's an achievement. Lunchtime drinking at work was never the same for me after I worked at Aldermaston in 1990...some were doing four bottles of diamond white cider then returning to continue machining nuclear warheads out of solid lumps of plutonium. I realised that I was a fuckin amateur really :lol:

This company researches global booze sales. The researchers go to over 100 Markets and come back with lovely lovely* local booze.

*usually it's awful awful, to be honest.

Was it still pale?

:D

American ipa (which pretty much kicked off the whole "craft" gig) is generally burnt amber-ish, but most pale ales made by the likes of Youngers and McEwans in the UK were pretty much the same colour as traditional bitter by the 70s and 80s, they were similar to "mild" as its called in some parts of England. What was called "light ale" was a lighter colour, but was pretty much seen off by the lager explosion in the early 70s.

Yes, the anorak is on ;)

Last time I was at Tynemouth Market some lercel brewery was selling their stuff there. It was about £4 for a bottle. That is taking the fucking piss

What about Jakehead IPA, or Bohemia from the Wylam Brewery?

If it's just the twatty names that put you off, you're missing out on some cracking beers.

the last time i tried one, i swore it was my last. it's partially the twatty names, but mainly because most of them are undrinkable. i'm sure most people that drink craft beer know this but they're going along with the elitist, supporting the local economy bullshit charade.

edit - but i haven't tried those ones, no.

Edited by Dr Gloom

:D

American ipa (which pretty much kicked off the whole "craft" gig) is generally burnt amber-ish, but most pale ales made by the likes of Youngers and McEwans in the UK were pretty much the same colour as traditional bitter by the 70s and 80s, they were similar to "mild" as its called in some parts of England. What was called "light ale" was a lighter colour, but was pretty much seen off by the lager explosion in the early 70s.

Yes, the anorak is on ;)

Used to work in a pub in the Sluice where an old bloke would come in and order a "Pntaml". Asked him a few times to repeat it it, but it took one of regulars to explain that the bloke was after a pint of mild.

He was from Ashington like.

the last time i tried one, i swore it was my last. it's partially the twatty names, but mainly because most of them are undrinkable. i'm sure most people that drink craft beer know this but they're going along with the elitist, supporting the local economy bullshit charade.

They're top rate and to be honest, the Wylam brewery have more hits than misses imo. There's some duffers but there's some really nice pints as well. Most pubs will let you try before you buy as long as it's not busy.

i used to live in balham when it was a right hole.

Not any more boss. I mean there's still some rougher parts, but it's gentrified like a mother fucker.

There's a beer shop by mine that do tasting nights on the same evening the wine shops are doing theirs. That's a fucking sight mind, beardy blokes looking oh so serious while sipping a pint called Bloody 'Ell and talking about the hoppy notes while ten yards down the street the Tatler crowd are looking oh so serious while discussing the legs on a Chilean Shiraz. :lol:

Can you describe the taste of the last peroni you had?...

There is a lot of pretention in the craft game, the biggest tossers I've come across are the two monumentally smug bastards who run brew dog. But there is something you can taste in everything that comes out of that market, that's why I drink ale, it tastes of something. Some of the best beers are mass produced, Goose Island is brewed ultimately by InBev, and a lot of the obscure end can be un drinkable, but for me it's better than tasteless pale coloured gassy bubbles. Nowt to do with being an elitist or falling for any marketing gimmick or local economy enhancing notions. Taste is king :good:

Edited by PaddockLad

Can you describe the taste of the last peroni you had?...

Yep, tasted like wild coriander and juniper berries with a hint of wooden elbow.

Scrap that, it tasted lush.

I've tasted a fair few ales in my time and in general just haven't enjoyed the taste. Hope that's okay with you. ;)

Now wine, or whisky, that's something else.

Our lass got me a tour of a local brewery as a birthday present last year. You get to drink loads on the way round and freebies to take home.

Loads of little breweries around here now and the majority of the gear isn't more expensive than the mass produced stuff. I love finishing work early and taking the dog to the pub, 2 pints of something strong and a wonky stroll home.

Yep, tasted like wild coriander and juniper berries with a hint of wooden elbow.

Scrap that, it tasted lush.

I've tasted a fair few ales in my time and in general just haven't enjoyed the taste. Hope that's okay with you. ;)

Now wine, or whisky, that's something else.

reminds me of a tech startup i visited for work a few months back . it's an online gourmet coffee bean delivery company that used an algorithm to tailor coffee beans to the user's tastes.

the coffee we tried was delicious and the entrepreneur behind the business was a really nice guy, but i found it hard to agree when he asked if i was getting any apple at the back of the palette. i was like, "nah mate, i'm getting coffee."

I can't hear the irony of Gloom having a go at hipsters over the sound of his hover board. :razz:

i'm not a hipster. i'm a hoverboard wanker, there's a difference.