Jump to content

How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?


Guest WDP
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm looking to join a gym at the minute. BMI is 25-26, and I'm about 78kg and a bit soft in the middle. I've been at the cardio for over 10 years but over the last 12 months it's become more sporadic through work to where I've gained weight. 

Started training with weights this year and really enjoy it. I've been working in hotels and making use of their gyms and then using heavy dumbbells at home but find that limiting, especially for back exercises.

 

I'm not sure whether I should just join a gym which I can use machines and free weights and grunt at mirrors as I please or whether I join one of those cross fit type places. I'm looking for athletic muscle rather than looking like a roid head. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I'm looking to join a gym at the minute. BMI is 25-26, and I'm about 78kg and a bit soft in the middle. I've been at the cardio for over 10 years but over the last 12 months it's become more sporadic through work to where I've gained weight. 

Started training with weights this year and really enjoy it. I've been working in hotels and making use of their gyms and then using heavy dumbbells at home but find that limiting, especially for back exercises.

 

I'm not sure whether I should just join a gym which I can use machines and free weights and grunt at mirrors as I please or whether I join one of those cross fit type places. I'm looking for athletic muscle rather than looking like a roid head. 

 

TBF you'll have to put in a shit load of work to look like a roid head, it doesn't just happen overnight.

 

I'm not a fan of crossfit, just watching it makes my joints hurt. Just speaking from my own experience I'd say regular gym can deliver what you want with the right programming, I look pretty bloody athletic (I reckon)but that might just be down to being tall and slim to start with and then adding the muscle rather than need to lose weight to see definition.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the problems I've experienced with constant powerlifting is that it gives you an absolutely massive muscly arse. 
 

All them squats and I feel like I could balance a plant pot on the fucker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

One of the problems I've experienced with constant powerlifting is that it gives you an absolutely massive muscly arse. 
 

All them squats and I feel like I could balance a plant pot on the fucker.

 

Im failing to see a problem tbh 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Chaser said:

I'm looking to join a gym at the minute. BMI is 25-26, and I'm about 78kg and a bit soft in the middle. I've been at the cardio for over 10 years but over the last 12 months it's become more sporadic through work to where I've gained weight. 

Started training with weights this year and really enjoy it. I've been working in hotels and making use of their gyms and then using heavy dumbbells at home but find that limiting, especially for back exercises.

 

I'm not sure whether I should just join a gym which I can use machines and free weights and grunt at mirrors as I please or whether I join one of those cross fit type places. I'm looking for athletic muscle rather than looking like a roid head. 


I’ve been into the gym for about 15 years now, I have tried fad diets and fitness classes galore. I found going back to basics works best for me: train hard, eat well, keep an eye on portion size and enjoy your treats and alcohol, but limit them. 

 

I’d go for a a normal gym membership if I were you. I never tried CrossFit

but I used to do hiit and it’s a killer if you’re middle aged with a dodgy back, like me.
 

If you want to lose the love handles, the following programme is tried and tested:  

 

- weight training (3-5 split days a week: chest shoulders day, back day, leg day) 

 

- some light cardio (2-3 days a week 20 minutes is all you need

but do as much as you like, whether it’s a run/cross trainer/swim/5 a side - make sure it’s something you enjoy) 

 

- aim for 10-20k steps a day - so walk instead of taking the bus, climb the stairs instead of taking the lift etc

 

- finally, and most importantly importantly, aim for a 500 daily calorie deficit with balanced macronutrients. don’t be tempted to cut carbs or fat - you need both - just make sensible choices, aim for at least 150g of lean protein a day and limit the processed sugar and treats. 

 

- If you’ve never done this, use the my fitness pal app and a fitness tracker for the first week to see how much you’re putting in and burning off. I tend to only need about 2,300 calories a day when I’m cutting. After about a week of tracking your food you can stop

bothering with it as you get used to how many calories you need and your body adapts. 
 

good luck and let us know how you get on 👍🏼

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My fitness pal are (or have) about to make barcode scanning a premium feature which is a bit of a bummer for calorie tracking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Tom said:

One of the problems I've experienced with constant powerlifting is that it gives you an absolutely massive muscly arse
 

All them squats and I feel like I could balance a plant pot on the fucker.

Badonka Donk

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers @Dr Gloom, thanks for the tips. Where is arm day in that, with back?

 

I'm probably 4-5kgs from my target weight without building muscle so not a million miles away but do need to put in some work. I tend to find winter the best time as I drink less, have little doing other than getting out and doing exercise outside of work. 

 

I have counted macros for a month before and one thing I do find difficult is getting enough protein in me a day. The only way I could probably increase is to drink more of it as I was just on one shake a day (along with the rest of my diet). 

 

I'll go for the normal gym option, see how it goes and will report back. 

 

@Andrew I've seen those spotty chested Waterboys with their HGH and Test. Some of them seem to just look at the weights and put a few inches on their chest whilst losing it from their cock. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Cheers @Dr Gloom, thanks for the tips. Where is arm day in that, with back?

 

I'm probably 4-5kgs from my target weight without building muscle so not a million miles away but do need to put in some work. I tend to find winter the best time as I drink less, have little doing other than getting out and doing exercise outside of work. 

 

I have counted macros for a month before and one thing I do find difficult is getting enough protein in me a day. The only way I could probably increase is to drink more of it as I was just on one shake a day (along with the rest of my diet). 

 

I'll go for the normal gym option, see how it goes and will report back. 

 

@Andrew I've seen those spotty chested Waterboys with their HGH and Test. Some of them seem to just look at the weights and put a few inches on their chest whilst losing it from their cock. 

 


I tend to hit biceps on back day (pull ups/rows/lat pull downs etc all target biceps as well as back. Then I throw in some bicep curls as a finisher)

 

triceps come on chest/shoulders day through bench/shoulder press/dips then some tricep push downs to finish

 

I’m a vegetarian so find it challenging to get the protein I need. I tend to eat 2-3 eggs a day and I mix protein powder with my overnight oats for breakfast and with Greek yoghurt and fruit for my evening snack. Protein shakes and fruit post workout too.

 

as for target weight, I honestly wouldn’t overthink it. I tend to use waist or body fat measurements as a better measure - and the mirror, ultimately. how you look with your top off is what motivates most of us to get into this in the first place after all. Weight is just a number. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got some extra lockdown kilos that running/hiking alone isn't proving sufficient to shift any more (curse you, 40something metabolism :finger:) so I know that I should probably be doing some weights to help things along, but I can't be fucked with another gym membership that I'll end up CTing and getting next to no use out of due to my own lack of willpower. :lol: Is there realistically a decent set of love handle-busting workouts you can do at home with absolutely minimal equipment - I'm talking ideally some dumbbells/weights and a mat and not a great deal more - or is that just unrealistic and I need to bite the bullet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could probably do body weight exercises if you don’t want to splash out. There are some decent routines/circuits on YouTube.

 

Ive lost a stone in the last 6 weeks. Got another couple to go to get back to my pre covid weight but enjoying it so far

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I've got some extra lockdown kilos that running/hiking alone isn't proving sufficient to shift any more (curse you, 40something metabolism :finger:) so I know that I should probably be doing some weights to help things along, but I can't be fucked with another gym membership that I'll end up CTing and getting next to no use out of due to my own lack of willpower. :lol: Is there realistically a decent set of love handle-busting workouts you can do at home with absolutely minimal equipment - I'm talking ideally some dumbbells/weights and a mat and not a great deal more - or is that just unrealistic and I need to bite the bullet?

I've got a set of those 25kg adjustable dumbbells and I've found that theyve got me doing something, if not everything. I've definitely made some difference to my frame this year, not just piled on fat! They are limiting though, I'd been toying just getting a bench but I could also do with a pull up/dip station as well but finding a spot for it is a problem as the garage is full of bikes and bike related shit. The 25kg a side is also a bit light for chest press and any deadlifts. This is why I've come around to looking to sign up to a gym, plus the changes made from just the dumbbells has spurred me on a bit which can only be a good thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Meenzer said:

I've got some extra lockdown kilos that running/hiking alone isn't proving sufficient to shift any more (curse you, 40something metabolism :finger:) so I know that I should probably be doing some weights to help things along, but I can't be fucked with another gym membership that I'll end up CTing and getting next to no use out of due to my own lack of willpower. :lol: Is there realistically a decent set of love handle-busting workouts you can do at home with absolutely minimal equipment - I'm talking ideally some dumbbells/weights and a mat and not a great deal more - or is that just unrealistic and I need to bite the bullet?

 

50 pushups

 

75 bodyweight squats

 

Some pull ups (if you've got somewhere to put a bar) 

 

100 pelvic thrusts

 

The weight will drop off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.